Fingerprint scanner stopped working?

A

AC Question

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Alpha since January 2015 with no issues but today when I got to the lock screen of my phone it showed me an error message saying "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device." I entered my alternate password with no issue and since restarting my phone didn't work at all, I've change my lock screen from fingerprint sensor to a password instead since I would get that error message every time I got to my lock screen. I went into the "Finger Scanner" in my device settings and when I click the Fingerprint manager option, it gives me the same error message. I'm not sure why this is suddenly happening because the fingerprint scanner was working completely fine last night and I haven't downloaded any updates or made any other changes to my phone. As my phone has passed the warranty period, I'm not sure what I can do with this. Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could be a failure of the scanner itself, a problem caused by another app, or a firmware problem. To exclude a problematic app, boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists: Problems with the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and how to fix them

If it persists in Safe Mode, then you could try reinstalling the firmware, using Samsung Smart Switch or Samsung Kies. I'm not sure if this wipes the phone, so make sure you backup or sync your data first. If you're in the US, you could also bring it to a Best Buy and ask the Samsung rep to reflash the firmware.

If a firmware reinstallation doesn't work, then it's most likely a failed sensor. You'd have to bring it to a repair shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar