Why is my Samsung Galaxy Alpha seemingly murdering batteries?

Devbot

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello!
So a few months ago my Samsung Galaxy Alpha started to have some battery issues. It would drain really fast and turn off with 20% battery life. Then last week it died and wouldn't charge(completely unresponsive). I figured it was the battery so I ordered a new one (reputable) and it arrived today. I put it in and plugged it in and my phone came to life (was still off but showed it was charging) and said it was at 60%. The instructions said to let it charge for 5 hours so I left for work and when I came back it was at 1%. I turned it on and it was alive for maybe five minutes and then shut off and is now dead forever once again. What the heck is going on? I bought a new charger as well but it was just one from the gas station.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little skeptical on the gas station charger you got. It might not be the culprit but cheap chargers aren't exactly recommended for obvious safety reasons.

Have you checked the phone itself to see if any services are eating up unnecessary resources?

Devbot

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
It can't be any apps/services because it's draining the battery while it's off. I will ask a friend to borrow their Samsung charger and see if that changes anything.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It can't be any apps/services because it's draining the battery while it's off. I will ask a friend to borrow their Samsung charger and see if that changes anything.
Android's kernel management has something called "wakelocks", which can drain the device's battery even when the device is asleep.

If the phone is draining its battery while it's actually switched off entirely,then something is really wrong.