With headphones plugged in sound still comes out speaker

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I realize the Core Prime is far from the best phone, but for now it's fine for what I want. So please don't beat me up ;)

I was experimenting with my car's AUX input and wondered if I could plug my phone's headset jack into that port in the car, to see if I could use the phone as an MP3 player. The car has NO Bluetooth btw. The answer is YES I could hear the audio in the cars' speakers, but the sound also was blaring out of the phone! The 3.5mm plug is into the phone as far as it will go.

If I go to SETTINGS and try to mute the audio it shuts everything off and I hear nothing.

Is there some way to mute the phone's speaker and still have audio available at the headset jack? Searching for that question shows problems with other phones but not the Core Prime. I do not wish to root the phone.

Thank you all in advance,

"25544"

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the sound coming through the car speakers normal and in full stereo, or does it sound hollow or tinny, and only mono? If the latter, then I would wonder about a problem with the aux cable. Can you try a different cable?

Also, do headphones work normally in the phone?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Well I hate to admit it but I don't have or use headphones so I can't test it that way. Hard to say in car if the sound is 'real' stereo or not, quality seemed a bit dicey however, but with the phone speaker blaring it's tough to make any judgements.

I will check the cable tho' with an Ohmmeter to make sure both channels, at least in the cable, are working.

But what's the deal with the speaker not being muted when the 3.5mm plug for headphones is inserted? I'd think it would be a simple mechanical switch in the headphone female jack on the phone.

Thank you!

" 25544"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But what's the deal with the speaker not being muted when the 3.5mm plug for headphones is inserted? I'd think it would be a simple mechanical switch in the headphone female jack on the phone.

If one of the contacts on the plug is faulty or mismatched, that could potentially lead to this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781