"Your SD card has been removed"! Wait...NO it hasn't!

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I am getting that message from time to time and the SD card hasn't ever been removed, except to change it to a new one.

Now I have a message saying it's safe to remove the card from the phone!:mad:

The card is new, the connections are good and not loose.:confused:

Is this a phone glitch or is it trying to tell me in a nice way the phone is going south?? It's a bit laughable because the protective case the phone is in, is such an SOB to remove, I'd really have to want to get that SD card out to even make me fool with it! It's not that I take the card out every day or so I have never done it! lol

Aside from ignoring the messages is there anyway to stop them? All updates are current.

Thanks a lot,

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the countless 'MY SD Card has failed!' posts. Yes, SD cards are finnicky and tend to fail (and yes, in my personal 'the sky is falling' experience, they often do with Samsung phones). This sounds like, unfortunately, what is happening. Either the card is damaged, or a file has become corrupted. You can try re-formatting it and doing a CHKDSK scan to see if any sectors can be 'saved' but I'm afraid once this happens, the card will fail again (so don't save anything there that you don't have elsewhere and DO NOT save original camera pictures to SD card).

You can try adding a little padding on top of the SD card (at your own risk! might become stuck or do more damage) if you think the card is 1000000000% OK and it is really loose; some people use bits of business cards to create some pressure into loose slots. But I truly think the reason for this is the first: your card is failing.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
But I truly think the reason for this is the first: your card is failing.

SpookDroid,

Thanks for the speedy reply.... the sad part is that the card in there now is a replacement one for the original and not even 6 mo old.
Can't figure out why they fail <sigh> but point taken I guess. No sense even having one of the bleeding things if you can't trust them imho!

Regards,

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, and while the posts here are from many other manufacturers, most are with Samsung phones. My own experience has been with Samsung phones as well: S2 fried one, Note 2 made me lose an entire trip's worth of pictures in the mountains, S4 fried 2 cards, and I learned my lesson since then. I still use them but only to keep stuff I've backed up elsewhere just to free up space and have things like movies or something. The last phone I had that damaged one was the Note 7 (card failed as soon as I removed it to switch to the S8 after the whole fiasco). A Note 10.1 also damaged a card (was working fine one day, then boom. Nada. ). Not blaming Samsung entirely, but yeah...they don't seem to know how to actually make SD cards work.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
SpookDroid,
Thanks for all that info, it doesn't exactly install confidence does it. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I think all I have on my card is some custom ringtones and little else, I'll move the rest to Google Drive or my own HD.

PS I don't work for Samsung so you can say whatever you want it won't hurt my feelings! lol

Thanks again,

25544 Norad

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Neither do I, and I love their phones (still get the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out...thanks T-Mobile JOD!), but when it comes to using SD cards in their devices, I'm not trusting important stuff to it.