Where is the "Send mail as" located in Gmail?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
If I add another email account to Gmail, will it change the "Send mail as" address? I see many references to that phrase yet I can't find it in the Gmail app.

This is what I am referring to:

Click the Accounts and import or Accounts tab. In the "Send mail as" section, click Add another email address. Enter your name and the address you want to send from. For school or work accounts, enter the SMTP server (for example, smtp.gmail.com or smtp.yourschool.edu) and the username and password on that account.

If I DO find where that section is, will I get a choice between my existing Gmail addy and the new one when I send a photo or the like?

The phone is using Android 5.1.1

OR is it only visible when you have 2 or more addresses? I didn't add a new one yet for fear of botching it up.

I know someone here has the answer and maybe it isn't a Core Prime question... but I beg your indulgence!

Thanks 25544 :D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you create an email to send, the From box defaults to the account you're in, but there's a dropdown at the end of it to select the other accounts. (And you can select an SMTP server for an account when you're setting the account up, so you can set an account to receive mail from server X, but send it from server Y. Normally, though, you'd set up your work email account and let everything default to what it does (tap "existing account" not "new account", and let Gmail set it up). Then you do the same for your school account. If you create an email and it's sending from the wrong account, tap the From box and choose the correct one.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rukbat,

I appreciate the help :D What puzzles me is that there is nothing on my phone that has the wording "Send mail as" that's what threw me ( and still does ) I just don't like the fact that I have to explain to someone that the photo they are getting comes from my nickname @gmail and not my real name.

So I'd like to be able to send from the phone using an email that has my real name as the sender. I really don't want to receive mail at that address I just want to be able to send and have it show my real name. Whew! Let me get on with it and I'll let you know how I go.

Many thanks,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the Compose screen, there should be a dropdown option in the From field that allows you to choose. But this is on Android 10 -- I can't say for sure if this option is available or not on a Lollipop phone.

As an aside, you may want to start looking into upgrading your phone. We're seeing more and more posts about apps that don't seem to work any more on Lollipop, as those APIs get deprecated.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
In the Compose screen, there should be a dropdown option in the From field that allows you to choose. But this is on Android 10 -- I can't say for sure if this option is available or not on a Lollipop phone.

As an aside, you may want to start looking into upgrading your phone. We're seeing more and more posts about apps that don't seem to work any more on Lollipop, as those APIs get deprecated.

B. Diddy,

It works fine now and I can send something from my phne and it comes from an address that has my name on it, not my nickname!:)

I wish I had never started using Google, it has it's tentacles into everything and once you have Gmail and Google Photos you are there for life it seems, hell you can't even sell a phone to anyone without getting caught in the Google account verification or whatever it's called. I hate the whole process!! Its a miserable creation that assumes everyone selling a phone or even giving it away is a thief.:mad:

I also know that there are ways to bypass it that you can't talk about in the forum, that makes sense to me, I have no problem with it. But why should I have to hack the protection at all :confused:

RE: A new phone, sure I'd love to have one but I'd be right back in the Google trap yet again with a phone that I can't remove the preinstalled apps to make more room for stuff. If I could get a phone that I know was configurable more like the computers I build then I'd be all over it like white on rice, I don't think there is such a thing, if there is please tell me about it.

Thank you all again for your help and consideration, this is clearly the best Android forum on the 'net! :DD

Regards 25544

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But keep in mind that the whole Google verification process is primarily a security measure. I don't know iPhones well at all, but I'd guess there are similar measures there as well.

If you don't want Google on your phone, you could consider the Huawei Mate 30 Pro!:p

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Wow that Huawei isn't cheap is it? I don't even know how to pronounce the name lol! :D

What I'd really like to have happen is that I change all my devices to use another name other than the one I set up when I got them. That would be my phone, my Tab 4 tablet, and my Trio tablet. If I could change all 3 of them w/o driving myself crazy I'd be happy and not bother you again. Had I known about the FRP I'd have never used a nickname on all of them as I did.

I am not sure if I was to somehow bypass the FRP, does it delete my Google accounts too or simply not have FRP on the device?
I assume if "no" that I could use my user name and P/W that I use now to access the account? I do like the fact that my photos get backed up to Google that can be a life saver, so I don't hate it totally!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wow that Huawei isn't cheap is it? I don't even know how to pronounce the name lol! :D

What I'd really like to have happen is that I change all my devices to use another name other than the one I set up when I got them. That would be my phone, my Tab 4 tablet, and my Trio tablet. If I could change all 3 of them w/o driving myself crazy I'd be happy and not bother you again. Had I known about the FRP I'd have never used a nickname on all of them as I did.

I am not sure if I was to somehow bypass the FRP, does it delete my Google accounts too or simply not have FRP on the device?
I assume if "no" that I could use my user name and P/W that I use now to access the account? I do like the fact that my photos get backed up to Google that can be a life saver, so I don't hate it totally!

Best way to say Huawei " wall way "
Say that in the search bar with voice it will come with Huawei. Lol

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Well right now the most pressing problem is that I can't add any more upgrades to my Core Prime and I can't remove any apps or move them to the SD card.

All I know to do other than replacing the phone is ignore the updates. Sad thing is I don't have any of the apps I'd like to have! All the room is taken by the OS and the pre installed apps. No doubt this is a common complaint that has no solution! <sigh>