The fold 2 is on its way to Samsung repair

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, as title says, my fold 2 is going in for repair. I was on vacation in Texas sitting at the motel patio using my fold 2 as normal and the hinge broke. It won't open flat anymore and there's a bulge in the middle of the screen in the fold area.

It was the weirdest thing, my wife even seen it, she was actually watching me use it when it happened as I was looking something up for her. I was using the phone just before that, opening and closing, no issues. I opened it that time and boom, just wouldn't open all the way, no noise at all.

I did a Google search on this and it appears that I'm not the only one this has happened to. This really surprised me as that hinge felt really solid. I really love the fold 2, but this gives me pause. Samsung has it being sent in under warranty, but we'll see if it stays under warranty. I'm guessing something worked it's way in there and finally got in the hinge.

So, I'm getting back on the fence on the fold phone, one foot is already on the fence, other foot might get on the fence dependent on Samsung's handling of the repair. The screen is holding up fine, but if they can't make it so dust can get in the hinge area I think the fold is dead to me, I don't see the hinge problem going away ever if dust can work it's way to it. I'll keep you posted, follow if you want to see the results to this.

jmartin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I love my Fold 2, but I realize it is fragile. Looking forward to hearing about the warranty repair process.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm so sorry this happened. :(

I know from your posts that you have really enjoyed your Fold 2 & looking forward to what the Fold 3 has to offer. I hope this will be resolved to your satisfaction.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok so you had some time with it , did the first generation run into this ?
I didn't get the first generation. I'm still looking at the fold 3, but the outcome of the warranty procedure could change my mind. If I did something to it too cause this then I would understand, but I literally just opened it and it would only open part way. So basically if Samsung doesn't back this I'll probably pass on the fold 3.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I didn't get the first generation. I'm still looking at the fold 3, but the outcome of the warranty procedure could change my mind. If I did something to it too cause this then I would understand, but I literally just opened it and it would only open part way. So basically if Samsung doesn't back this I'll probably pass on the fold 3.
I'll wait until you update before I'll make purchase down the road .

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Oh man sorry to hear about the damage.... Hopefully comes back flawless after repair.. I've seen a few one offs posts on damage devices but not as much I would think... And agree with you kinda weird bc this hinge feels sturdy... I have mine since initial release...

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well that was fast for Samsung. They got it Friday and today got the email it is fixed and shipped. I am using my note 20U and it's working as expected, but I told my wife I want my fold back. I told her maybe this would take me away from the fold phones and she said that it would surprise her, and she said I knew you would want it back. Fold 3 is still on the radar

It was covered under warranty. Listed in picture is what they did

272457dd6ffe7c781e8f9a7ca9313e4d.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well that was fast for Samsung. They got it Friday and today got the email it is fixed and shipped. I am using my note 20U and it's working as expected, but I told my wife I want my fold back. I told her maybe this would take me away from the fold phones and she said that it would surprise her, and she said I knew you would want it back. Fold 3 is still on the radar

Glad to hear that

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

Good news, hope all is well.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

Any updates? Curious...