Whats the point of the Galaxy Fold phones?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was under the impression that the Fold phones were standard phone size but could be unfolded to the size of a tablet. Yet on videos/pics Ive seen people are cradling the phone in one hand unfolded. I wouldnt call that tablet sized at all. accoding to the specs its barely an inch bigger than a Note. Tablets screen in comparison to phones are far bigger than an inch in difference. If thats all you get why even have a fold when you can get a Note and pay $1000 less?

duomaxwell007

Jun 24, 2021
Visit site
Id say 2 Notes would be pretty big. No way the average human could hold 2 notes side by side in one hand. So the pics/videos Ive seen make them seem smaller than 2 notes

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To give you an idea of the comparison in terms of area, the Z Fold2 when unfolded has a total screen area of about 20350 mm^2. Compare that with my Lenovo Tab M8 FHD (an 8" tablet), which has a total screen area of 18511 mm^2. I'd say that makes it a tablet. But keep in mind that the screen ratio is different -- the Z Fold2 is more square than the typical tablet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To give you an idea of the comparison in terms of area, the Z Fold2 when unfolded has a total screen area of about 20350 mm^2. Compare that with my Lenovo Tab M8 FHD (an 8" tablet), which has a total screen area of 18511 mm^2. I'd say that makes it a tablet. But keep in mind that the screen ratio is different -- the Z Fold2 is more square than the typical tablet.
And more compact then tablet with my hands on time that i had with it .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well think of it as having 2 Note 20U phones when the fold open then back to a single Note when closed , pretty neat no? Please share more your thoughts.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

I like your analogy of having two Notes in one when the Samsung Fold phone is open. Never would have thought of it that way. That's pretty cool!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's so cool! Any news on the screen? I feel like last time, it was way too fragile - but that was when folding screens were in their infancy. Can't point too many fingers when the tech is new!
I think fold 2 was improved and waiting on fold 3 which is said to be more durable.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I somewhat agree with the OP. The fold seems almost pointless, it's like it exists only to experiment with new technologies but doesn't represent the future of phones.

The issue is the aspect ratio of the screen. While the screen area is much larger due to the aspect ratio most of it goes to waste on most tasks.

I do however like the design of the Flip and Moto Razer. The clamshell design that opens the screen into something much more useful makes sense to me.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well for me it’s all about having a phone and a reasonable sized tablet in the same gadget. I always had iPads 9,7 as my tablets and always thought about it as too bigger fir my usage. To have a little smaller tablet sound very interesting for me. That, plus the s pen capabilities will, probably, make the Fold 3 a winner for me. If it come with water resistance and more durability, I’m afraid I’ll make my wallet suffer for the next few months…

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I somewhat agree with the OP. The fold seems almost pointless, it's like it exists only to experiment with new technologies but doesn't represent the future of phones.

The issue is the aspect ratio of the screen. While the screen area is much larger due to the aspect ratio most of it goes to waste on most tasks.

I do however like the design of the Flip and Moto Razer. The clamshell design that opens the screen into something much more useful makes sense to me.
The same thing was basically being said about the note when it first released.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the fold is pointless, between the Note and Fold they should be for different buyers for sure .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Fold phones were standard phone size but could be unfolded to the size of a tablet. Yet on videos/pics Ive seen people are cradling the phone in one hand unfolded. I wouldnt call that tablet sized at all. accoding to the specs its barely an inch bigger than a Note. Tablets screen in comparison to phones are far bigger than an inch in difference. If thats all you get why even have a fold when you can get a Note and pay $1000 less?
Saves me buying a new laptop. I already do everything on my Note9.

The price isn't my problem. It is the weight. My current phone can practically pull my jeans down when added in with keys, wallet etc. It is kind of thick to carry in the back pocket too.

If there were a new Note scheduled I wouldn't even be tempted... but since there isn't it is kind of in my head to buy one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey