02-22-2019 07:57 PM
26 12
tools
    What do you all think about the galaxy fold phone?

I hope it has Samsung notes and spen support.
    02-20-2019 09:42 AM
    Honestly I think it's a bust. Too bulky for the pocket. Carrying as an everyday phone will be a no go for most. That combined with price will make this for a very specific crowd. A design like the old razr phone would be really good.
    02-20-2019 09:48 AM
    Honestly I think it's a bust. Too bulky for the pocket. Carrying as an everyday phone will be a no go for most. That combined with price will make this for a very specific crowd. A design like the old razr phone would be really good.
    and think of how much battery all that screen is going to need.
    cwbcpa and Beansr519 like this.
    02-20-2019 09:50 AM
    Not saying you're wrong, but how do you know it will be too bulky? I guess it's safe to say it would be at least twice as thick as a current Note or S device. I'm not sure if that's too bulky for me. I guess I would need to find enough value to make it worth it.

I'm not excited yet, but I think it's the start of something that will end up being good down the road. I don't see jumping on this first generation of folding phones though.
    02-20-2019 09:54 AM
    I agree. Wait until all the flaws are exposed. Maybe the next gen will get it ironed out.
    recDNA likes this.
    02-20-2019 09:59 AM
    It's currently labeled as the Galaxy X forum.
    What do you all think about the galaxy fold phone?

I hope it has Samsung notes and spen support.
    Javier P and gyounk like this.
    02-20-2019 12:32 PM
    It's currently labeled as the Galaxy X forum.
    ^^ This.

I will move this thread over there.
    gyounk likes this.
    02-20-2019 12:36 PM
    Without seeing it I think it will be a bust. Cool in concept but it won't be really fine tuned for another few years.
    02-20-2019 12:50 PM
    $1,980?!?!?!?!? WOW lolol
    02-20-2019 01:17 PM
    $1,980?!?!?!?!? WOW lolol
    You buying it or nah bro?
    02-20-2019 01:20 PM
    You buying it or nah bro?
    Absolutely not. Too expensive plus support for it will take a bit. They have only showed 3 apps working with the fold -- I assume all the others have to program and update for it.
    02-20-2019 01:21 PM
    I mean at that price, you can but the best of the best laptop.

I can't imagine it will be that big of a seller.

For a very few crowd.
    02-20-2019 01:24 PM
    Absolutely not. Too expensive plus support for it will take a bit. They have only showed 3 apps working with the fold -- I assume all the others have to program and update for it.
    Aww.
    Are you planning to just upgrade to the s10 or waiting for the note 10?
    I’m currently on the note 8 and planning to get the s10+
    02-20-2019 01:48 PM
    I think this phone is gonna bust as well. Also never go first gen on most things.
    02-20-2019 02:07 PM
    What do I think of it? Pardon me while I yawn. (I also think it's about the stupidest idea anyone ever came up with for a cellphone. LG's folding keyboard was on thing, but this? Not if it was a folding Note 10 retailing for $198.)
    02-20-2019 02:11 PM
    I must be part of the few hear (here) The foldable is most exciting news I've heard today.
    bchain996 and kj11 like this.
    02-20-2019 02:19 PM
    I must be part of the few hear. The foldable is most exciting news I've heard today.
    I'm excited for this model lending the industry insights into what people might actually want from a folding screen (and I don't think this is it).

Personally, I could care less about a fairly bulky phone folding out into a tablet. I'd be much more interested in something along the lines of a shirt-pocket-sized clamshell a la RAZR of old that folded out into what is a good-sized screen today (~ 6"). While there's been video mockups of what such a device might be like, they're not yet realistic - the real challenge to that today would be the extreme limitation it would put on volume to allocate towards battery, but when that hurdled things like folding displays could potentially truly usher in a level of broad interest in devices not seen since the initial iPhone.
    02-20-2019 03:19 PM
    I'm excited for this model lending the industry insights into what people might actually want from a folding screen (and I don't think this is it).

Personally, I could care less about a fairly bulky phone folding out into a tablet. I'd be much more interested in something along the lines of a shirt-pocket-sized clamshell a la RAZR of old that folded out into what is a good-sized screen today (~ 6"). While there's been video mockups of what such a device might be like, they're not yet realistic - the real challenge to that today would be the extreme limitation it would put on volume to allocate towards battery, but when that hurdled things like folding displays could potentially truly usher in a level of broad interest in devices not seen since the initial iPhone.
    I'd personally love a device that opens up to an amazing screen real estate. Its first gen ,yes. But over time it'll be smashing.
    02-20-2019 03:25 PM
    and think of how much battery all that screen is going to need.
    Good thing it's got 2
    EMGSM likes this.
    02-20-2019 07:01 PM
    I'd love to get this phone, however it seems that it's only available for AT&T or T-Mobile. I don't see anything about Verizon, which leaves me out of the running.
    02-20-2019 08:33 PM
    This phone is so ugly and I’ve already seen people justifying the fugly front of the phone by saying “oh you’ll be using the tablet mode most of the so who cares about the front!”

No I don’t want to use a tablet all the time if there’s that justification being made already that just shows the appeal of this foldable phone and others down the line is negated if the “front” of the device is just for quick glances at things. I can’t wait to see the sales numbers which I bet Samsung won’t reveal.
    02-21-2019 02:42 PM
    TO THE HATERS (above - you know who you are): 1) Samsung is going back to their roots as 'risk takers' and 'pushing the envolope'. This is refreshing to see, and if you're an andriod fan you should be pleased to see new innovation pushing Apple even further away from having anything resembling 2019 tech. 2) Expensive? Yes, it's cutting edge technology. Did you expect a bleeding edge cellphone/tablet to benefit "cheap"? 3) If you don't like it, that's why Samsung created 3 versions of the S10, a Note 9, and even a "cheap" S9 if you're on a budget.

I simply don't get why anyone would "hate" on Samsung for creating, interesting, and very innovative products.
    02-21-2019 05:57 PM
    This phone is so ugly and I’ve already seen people justifying the fugly front of the phone by saying “oh you’ll be using the tablet mode most of the so who cares about the front!”

No I don’t want to use a tablet all the time if there’s that justification being made already that just shows the appeal of this foldable phone and others down the line is negated if the “front” of the device is just for quick glances at things. I can’t wait to see the sales numbers which I bet Samsung won’t reveal.
    Well you're clearly not the target customer for the Samsung fold. Samsung doesn't need to hide their sales numbers becuase this is a limited run device. Again, this is a unique and interesting option for a very limited amount of consumers who want to try something unique. Remember the "Samsung Edge"? That "awkward" curve on one side? They released it to show the possiblity of the future, sold a limited number and now look at all their phones...
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-21-2019 06:03 PM

You don't want to use a tablet all the time, that's great, don't. Get one of the three other models Samsung just unveiled.

I remember years ago when I got my Nexus 7 I said it would be cool to just use it as a phone.
    02-21-2019 09:04 PM
    People scoffed at the Note when it 1st arrived.
    02-21-2019 09:28 PM
26 12