Galaxy Fold woes..

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
Seems to me that most of these issues were caused by removing part of the display rather than the displays just randomly breaking.

Keeping my order but I’ll get insurance. We shall see.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And those same people complain when that premium tech is fragile and breaks because it was rushed to meet that demand.

Of course. It starts with tech reviewers. Notice they all got the Fold for review. These are the same people that complained for years about phones not being premium enough...one handed use and what people should and shouldn't buy.

They do a great job mostly, but they also help set the agenda.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I’m most concerned about the possibility of small particles getting under the screen. What if I’m using this at the beach? Is it really possible that something could get under the screen by fitting inside the open gap when folded open? Seems impossible that Samsung would allow that risk to exist without some mechanism to avoid it.

This is the exact issue with The Verge’s unit, it seems either the hinge broke or something got in under the display/hinge gap.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that the GS10+ slabs that most of us carry have cases, bumpers and skins as well as, in some cases, tempered screen protectors. Why? Because they are made glass with an aluminum frame, though shatter resistant to a limited extent, that are fragile because they can break. They are also $1,000 or more depending upon the variant. We are investing money in the accessories to baby them.

The Fold is meant to make a statement and may change the design language of future devices. It is not meant for the mass market. It appears aimed at the tech enthusiasts with deeper pockets that appreciate innovation and are willing to accept the risks and downfalls of generation one devices. It is an entirely different proposition to be an early adopter of the current flagship smartphones than a device whose engineering is pushing the boundaries to produce a device that is still solidly built.

The hinge mechanism didn't appear to be sealed so whatever junk was in the pocket of the Verge unit got under the screen. The Fold has no IP ratings for dust or particle intrusion and water resistant. That should indicate that more care will be needed to carry the device. Samsung took a huge gamble to bring it to market. Tesla cars had huge quality issues initially but are steadily getting better from a product quality perspective. This is all just my humble opinion and not meant to trigger anyone. Whether it's a phablet or a luxury car, no one is forcing you to assume the risks of being an early adopter. If you decide to buy it, congratulations. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
First gen product guess its understandable to be issues

“Issues”? You mean self destruct for almost all review units? They need to prevent that phone from being delivered to customers until that issue has been fixed. There’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the total failure of a 2000$ device within days of delivery.

The biggest joke is that Samsung offers their device insurance plans only in the US - I’m willing to bet that they won’t fix devices that aren’t covered by their insurance.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay then. Then the price should reflect that. Do you think the price reflects first-gen issues or if it had less issues (better build quality/engineering) it should cost even more?

If the price should reflect a close to 100% of complete device failure within days of delivery, the phone should be free.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The failures are a concern to me. But I am not ready to cancel my preorder. Really looking forward to this phone.

That said, Samsung needs to step up and recognize there is much on the line here. They need to include a premium care plan with the cost of this premium price product. The plan should include overnight replacement for failed units. Samsung can then fix or diagnose or whatever the failed units to learn from them. I'll knowingly participate in the 1st gen hardware issues as long as the company producing it takes the financial responsibility for the design.

Come on Samsung, time to step up.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
“Issues”? You mean self destruct for almost all review units? They need to prevent that phone from being delivered to customers until that issue has been fixed. There’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the total failure of a 2000$ device within days of delivery.

The biggest joke is that Samsung offers their device insurance plans only in the US - I’m willing to bet that they won’t fix devices that aren’t covered by their insurance.

It's a plastic screen on a folding phone. That issue isn't going to be fixed beyond additional warnings on how to care for a fragile device.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site

All? It's been about 2-3 units...

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
The failures are a concern to me. But I am not ready to cancel my preorder. Really looking forward to this phone.

That said, Samsung needs to step up and recognize there is much on the line here. They need to include a premium care plan with the cost of this premium price product. The plan should include overnight replacement for failed units. Samsung can then fix or diagnose or whatever the failed units to learn from them. I'll knowingly participate in the 1st gen hardware issues as long as the company producing it takes the financial responsibility for the design.

Come on Samsung, time to step up.

Agreed. A year of premium care seems like a very reasonable solution and should be offered to all buyers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. A year of premium care seems like a very reasonable solution and should be offered to all buyers.

I think it's a bit premature to start expecting them to include that and there is a deductable and a limit to the amount of claims.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So let's start with this, $2,000 can never be an acceptable price to pay for a cell phone --- especially a one-trick pony. If you're willing to pay the ante, you get whatever you deserve.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think some are assuming that because it's a $2,000 device there is an expectation that it should not fail prematurely. The price is more indictive of it's design costs and ROI than how its supposed to hold up. Consumers deserve that expectation of any device almost regardless of price. Spending a ton of money on something buys you nothing more than what you receive. The smart buyer of any new technology waits to see how it plays out or assumes the risk.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, it seems a bit petulant to expect a near perfect device even given the high price point. Quality and price don't necessarily equate. Look at the cost of college tuition versus the quality of the education as an example, clearly quality has gone down while price has increased.

It's also rhetorical to suggest that Samsung could have produced a higher quality device that customers have come to expect and that they should step up their game. Not calling any OP's, just coincidental phrasing for lack of more articulate expression. That said, things can always be better and consumers are justified in their high expectations.

It's also important to keep in context that Samsung leveraged all the knowledge and experience from their smartphone and tablet as well as innovative engineering as evidenced by the hinge. Maximum profit, the objective and point of the device, needs to be at level to justify the decision to make a generation two device as well as the R&D to make enhancements. Since I am not buying the Fold, I am reserving judgment as I have no skin in the game. Samsung or the carrier will make good on any insurance offered. It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, it seems a bit petulant to expect a near perfect device even given the high price point. Quality and price don't necessarily equate. Look at the cost of college tuition versus the quality of the education as an example, clearly quality has gone while price has increased.

It's also rhetorical to suggest that Samsung could have produced a higher quality device that customers have come to expect and that they should step up their game. Not calling any OP's, just coincidental phrasing for lack of a more articulate expression. That said, things can always be better and consumers are justified in their high expectations.

It's also important to keep in context that Samsung leveraged all the knowledge and experience from their smartphone and tablet as well as innovative engineering as evidenced by the hinge. Maximum profit, the objective and point of the device, needs to be at level to justify the decision to make a generation two device as well as the R&D to make enhancements. Since I am not buying the Fold, I am reserving judgment as I have no skin in the game. Samsung or the carrier will make good on any insurance offered. It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Well said

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So let's start with this, $2,000 can never be an acceptable price to pay for a cell phone --- especially a one-trick pony. If you're willing to pay the ante, you get whatever you deserve.

Most people won't pay $2,000. They'll pay $87 a month in addition to their other phone fees. When they walk into AT&T, they see the $87 a month with the $2,000 in a smaller font. Most people won't even keep the phone to get enough back in resell if they sell it at all. The premium look, uniqueness, etc., is what will sell the phone. Then get a new phone in a year or two.

I haven't preordered or am looking too closely at getting one. I like my Spen, headphone jack and other features of my Note 9. But this has possibilities for me in future phones.

You have to also consider the earbuds, etc., included with this Fold.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Phone is a beta phone. Knew it from the announcement.

I prefer to not pay $2k to be a beta tester.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude