Galaxy Fold woes..

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
All? It's been about 2-3 units...

All that were handed out as review units as it seems - pretty much every journalist’s review unit in Switzerland has failed the same way. Same goes for most of the ones you read about online. This is not an isolated incident.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
All that were handed out as review units as it seems - pretty much every journalist’s review unit in Switzerland has failed the same way. Same goes for most of the ones you read about online. This is not an isolated incident.
It's only a major issue on retail units.. We will see if that's the case

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
This is the essentially the ONLY device that sparks any interest outside of BlackBerry Mobile's KEY devices and the F(x)Tec Pro 1...

... aaaaannnd dammit it has issues

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I think some are assuming that because it's a $2,000 device there is an expectation that it should not fail prematurely. The price is more indictive of it's design costs and ROI than how its supposed to hold up. Consumers deserve that expectation of any device almost regardless of price. Spending a ton of money on something buys you nothing more than what you receive. The smart buyer of any new technology waits to see how it plays out or assumes the risk.
No device sold should fail "prematurely". If a device is failing prematurely in a significant percentage of units sold (or about to be sold), it is simply not ready and should stay in the lab. I don't know if this is what is happening here, but if it is, it's too soon to bring to market.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No device sold should fail "prematurely". If a device is failing prematurely in a significant percentage of units sold (or about to be sold), it is simply not ready and should stay in the lab. I don't know if this is what is happening here, but if it is, it's too soon to bring to market.

I basically said no device should fail prematurely.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
This is the essentially the ONLY device that sparks any interest outside of BlackBerry Mobile's KEY devices and the F(x)Tec Pro 1...

... aaaaannnd dammit it has issues

I’m with you man. I sold my key2 to fund the fold. I love what bb/tcl are doing.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I’m with you man. I sold my key2 to fund the fold. I love what bb/tcl are doing.
You'd need to sell about 4 KEY2's to fund the Fold lol.

I'm just way too bored of the standard slab form factor, so something that's actually a bit different is a breath of fresh air in a super saturated market where everything looks almost exactly the same.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Are there genuine cases of defective Fold devices amongst high profile tech bloggers? The answer is yes but we have to be intellectually honest in acknowledging that, regardless of the price tag, generation one tech is going to experience a higher defect rate than more mature product offerings and not hold Samsung to a ridiculously high standard of perfection as well as failing to celebrate the things that they got right with the Fold and the tremendous risk to their reputation, which they didn't help themselves by not feeling the need to warn the reviewers not to ruin the screen by removing the protective layer of plastic in much the same way as the warning label on a cup of coffee. In that case, it's just common sense that you should take personal responsibility to avoid being burned by the boiling liquid. Instead, we shift blame to McDonald's because of our sympathy for the person whose negligence caused the problem.

Before proceeding, in the interests of full transparency, I am willing to concede that my own personal understanding, interpretation and recollection of the events and timelines of the rush to nail Samsung to the cross for having the audacity to bring to market a product, that already took eight plus years, too early. Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Of the four original pre-production units that started a firestorm and rush to judgement without all the facts, strange how it mirrors other current news stories, two were caused by the negligence of the reviewers who removed the glued on protective plastic layer. The third unit, by the admission of the blogsite, could have potentially be caused by modeling clay, that they may have failed to completely remove, could have worked its way under the screen of a device that has no IP rating for dust or particle intrusion.

Point is. Don't rush to judgment without all the facts. I am not saying that anyone involved wasn't honest but other bloggers with no preproduction units or firsthand knowledge ran with the story to fan the flames for personal gain and notoriety. It is strange that the full details were uploaded or published three days later, an eternity in the 24/7 news cycle that we live in.

Do your own research and critical thinking about your decision to take a risk to be an early adopter. Blogger reviews should be part of your research but it is your personal responsibility for the investment decision to purchase the Fold. You should not surrender and give them power that is yours as a consumer in a free market economy. I am personally looking forward to feedback from real, average every day consumers like us on the Fold.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
well I almost pre ordered and was mad I didn't after seeing the first hands on. I was planning too on the 25th with T-Mobile. The durability issue is just too much for me to Shell out so much money. I now don't think it'll be solved completely until version 3/4

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Some may be user error, some may not. My opinion is that if this is indicative of what will happen when a substantial number of these are in user hands, Samsung is going to suffer some embarrassment. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems at first glance, and that this is somewhat overblown.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If it turns out that three of the production units were damaged due to user error and the fourth one had some defect, that represents 1 of 40 preproduction units. If my math is correct, that a 2.5% defect rate.

The major takeaways for Samsung.

Don't assume that tech bloggers, even though they were aware of the new screen tech, are like the person who spurred the warning label on a cup of coffee by not taking personal responsibility and exercising common sense to make avoid being burned by a boiling hot liquid. With so much experience with glass displays, I totally get that habit would make removing the screen protector normal but the Fold is not a normal device.

I also acknowledge the benefits of hindsight and that I don't make my living with product sponsors and monetization. I realize that the tech bloggers have huge reputations to protect and subscribers to keep informed to the best of their ability.

In the retail units, emblazon the plastic wrap with a neon yellow warning, include the warning on every packaging surface, and put multiple printed warnings in every box. This will make people that have on a remote island and are just now arriving home. Personal responsibility aside. Human nature always finds a way to get it wrong and rush to judgment pointing fingers without all the facts.

Allow new owners more latitude on insurance claims, even waiving the deductible for six months for issues that are clearly no fault of their own. In all cases unrelated to personal negligence, replace the device even if repairable.

Investigate and immediately publish all findings that are demonstrable to the extent possible the likely causes for the failures and defects. Use the findings with ongoing research and enhancements to launch an awesome Fold 2.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
My 2 cents..
-As has been said this is a gen 1 device, There will be some issues. I would think Samsung will be prepared for this.
-We need to remember that up until the last few generations of devices we had to be careful of moisture and dust intrusion. so now we leap forward with an entirely new type of device we once more have to be aware of such things.
-I can't speak for anyone other than myself, When I get something that represents a very new type of tech, I want to understand how it works and how to keep it working properly so I read and research.....

Cheers,
BR

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Are we 100 sure the verge unit was a result of user error? Has it been confirmed the defect was clay getting inside?

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Are we 100 sure the verge unit was a result of user error? Has it been confirmed the defect was clay getting inside?
Even they think that's what it may have been burried way down in the article. We're still waiting to see if Samsung will call them out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc