The verge review

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
re:

I think they're sore that they broke their device.

I've still only seen 4 confirmed breakages.

2 from peeling the polymer layer off.
1 probably from getting modeling clay inside it.
1 they swear they don't know what happened but it looks pretty mangled in the photos.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not pleased about the dimpling in the plastic cover with normal use. That would be very disappointing.

It's a first gen device. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you're willing to actually take care of it. It even looks fragile. I would treat this thing with kid gloves.

Some of those tech reviewers probably put it through the paces to see how sturdy it is and broke them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

I wonder if verge broke their embargo to post that review? No other reviews yet. Seems strange.

No embargos were handed out when they got the review units. If there was you wouldn't even see stories about them breaking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Not intentionally break them, but not exactly take care of them either.

I am pretty sure they don't just toss these around like nothing.

I mean .. when is the last time you saw any phone besides this get broken by various reviewers? Easy.. You don't.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I mean .. when is the last time you saw any phone besides this get broken by various reviewers? Easy.. You don't.

I doubt they would film any of that anyway. To have a broken Fold gets you all kinds of clicks. I'm not saying they are trying to break them, but let's see if their replacement units break...🤔

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

JerryRigEverything....lol
Just kidding....he's a destroyer not a reviewer.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I doubt they would film any of that anyway. To have a broken Fold gets you all kinds of clicks. I'm not saying they are trying to break them, but let's see if their replacement units break...??????

Well the verge said even the replacement unit had marks and dimples in the plastic screen and said Samsung should provide free replacements.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

That's not what I said...at all

I can only go on what you write. You say they aren't intentionally breaking them but then think they just toss them around willy-nilly and that a broken fold "gets clicks" -- yet this is the only phone that has had this issue.. but it is the reviewers, right?

I get not jumping to conclusions but most that I have seen have been pretty legit. If Samsung didn't have a warning on the protective film (like apparently the T-Mobile one seems to have that the one exec confirmed) that is a huge ball drop by Samsung. I could literally see myself trying to remove it since I remove any SP or film on a new phone pretty much immediately so I could easily see myself going to remove that then being like "Oh **** I just broke my $2k phone" and be kinda upset.

As for The Verge issue he even admits he doesn't know what happened. He thinks something got in the hinge and popped up from behind the screen. Samsung took it from him and told him they would "inspect it" but I doubt they will give him the true answer.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re:

I can only go on what you write. You say they aren't intentionally breaking them but then think they just toss them around willy-nilly and that a broken fold "gets clicks" -- yet this is the only phone that has had this issue.. but it is the reviewers, right?

I get not jumping to conclusions but most that I have seen have been pretty legit. If Samsung didn't have a warning on the protective film (like apparently the T-Mobile one seems to have that the one exec confirmed) that is a huge ball drop by Samsung. I could literally see myself trying to remove it since I remove any SP or film on a new phone pretty much immediately so I could easily see myself going to remove that then being like "Oh **** I just broke my $2k phone" and be kinda upset.

As for The Verge issue he even admits he doesn't know what happened. He thinks something got in the hinge and popped up from behind the screen. Samsung took it from him and told him they would "inspect it" but I doubt they will give him the true answer.

I never said anything about them tossing phones, so you're not exactly going by what I wrote. There are issues with certain units for sure, but given the design, you can't treat them like you would any other phone. As we can now tell, there are just limits to how rough you can be with plastic screens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I never said anything about them tossing phones, so you're not exactly going by what I wrote. There are issues with certain units for sure, but given the design, you can't treat them like you would any other phone. As we can now tell, there are just limits to how rough you can be with plastic screens.

Well I can't go exact since you are trying to sit in the middle lol. You say they don't intentionally do it.. but also don't take care of them.. so I take that as kinda just tossing them around in a meh w/e fashion.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I can't go exact since you are trying to sit in the middle lol. You say they don't intentionally do it.. but also don't take care of them.. so I take that as kinda just tossing them around in a meh w/e fashion.

And that's where you lose me. Stop trying to add extra narrative to what I'm saying. You added buzz words like "intentional" and "tossing" for effect. I never said they were doing any of that

You can't "toss" phone made from glass either, so to assume that's what I meant doesn't make sense.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Definitely not pleased about the dimpling in the plastic cover with normal use. That would be very disappointing.

To me. that's the biggest issue. Over time, you may end up getting a lot of dimpling. After six months, swiping left will feel like running your finger over a topographic map of Brazil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34