The verge review

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And that's where you lose me. Stop trying to add extra narrative to what I'm saying. You added buzz words like "intentional" and "tossing" for effect. I never said they were doing any of that

Yep you didn't.. because you sat in the middle and won't state what you intended yet are upset I can't somehow know your exact thought.. that you didn't write.. lol.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yep you didn't.. because you sat in the middle and won't state what you intended yet are upset I can't somehow know your exact thought.. that you didn't write.. lol.

There is no middle, What are you talking about? None of us own this device and we're all speculating. I gave my thoughts and you're looking for a debate. 😂

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, these tech bloggers knew that Samsung employed a new technology to allow a plastic OLED screen to bend and one with a proprietary hinge mechanism with no dust/particle or liquid intrusion protection. If the display were transparent aluminum, then pulling what appears to be a screen protector is understandable.

It comes down to personal negligence and not accepting the possibility and possibly responsibility that it was a bonehead mistake. Instead, the situation is allowed to fester for two days creating a hugely overblown crucifixion of Samsung being held to impossibility high standard of perfection. Others were saying it was rushed out to market too soon. Eight plus years of development. Really?

It's only a couple of days later that we find out that, in one case, footage of user error in damaging the screen was on the cutting room floor but a picture to memorialize the event found its way to being published.

In second case, modeling clay was mentioned deep in a blogsite article and the follow up video today, one in which the reviewer threw more shade on Samsung while trying to convince us that he really liked the device.

Everyone makes mistakes, sometimes inadvertently damaging a device. I get that it would be humiliating to admit to millions of subscribers and sponsors for these bloggers to take personal responsibility immediately and not let hyper-partisan tech community fan the flames of controversy.

Let's also keep in mind that these were generation one preproduction units and that there were only what appears to be 100 such units. There is, so far, one unit that could be genuinely defective. That's one percent for those of you keeping score at home.

Unbox Therapy Lew and John Rettinger released another video in which they remarked that it didn't occur to them that there was a need to peel the plastic layer off. In a prior upload, John Rettinger mentioned the warning label on coffee cups. It shouldn't be necessary to warn people about being careful about boiling hot liquids that can cause severe burns. The person injured was negligent and personally responsible. Yet, emotion kicks an unfortunate event into overdrive and McDonald's becomes the villain.

I totally get that my comments may be overblown and incindiary and is flawed being based on my understanding of the sequence of events and timelines surrounding the issues and that I don't have all the facts, only video uploads and blogsite articles. Point is that narratives were being spun by those involved and ostensibly doing CYA to protect reputations and monetization/sponsor funding flows.

Narratives should not drive the story. Only facts should be the determining factor that drives our purchase decision. This is also not to say that Samsung also has a role in the situation by neglecting to provide a warning label in much the same way as McDonald's was forced to when customers have accidents or make mistakes.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I still stand by what I said about mkbhd. Genius marketing of his name. Every news outlet is showing his Twitter lol. I mean the kid has been reviewing tech for years and just "thought" he should peel the layer. Right after the verge broke the story. Right.....

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
https://youtu.be/IjD4SNG6jE8

An example of running with the narrative that Samsung is to blame and not this snowflake whose parents probably paid someone to get her into an elite school and then a job as a tech journalist, both of which she is clearly unqualified for.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
These guys explain exactly what i was speaking of earlier. great job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWvgyQtP1A&t=409s

Totally agree. This is the type of adult conversation that we should be having instead of deflecting blame for personal errors, lambasting the manufacturer with no skin in the game and running down a product that they have never seen. It seems that some of the more well-known bloggers who didn't get review units are miffed and want to run the product into ground.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, these tech bloggers knew that Samsung employed a new technology to allow a plastic OLED screen to bend and one with a proprietary hinge mechanism with no dust/particle or liquid intrusion protection. If the display were transparent aluminum, then pulling what appears to be a screen protector is understandable.

It comes down to personal negligence and not accepting the possibility and possibly responsibility that it was a bonehead mistake. Instead, the situation is allowed to fester for two days creating a hugely overblown crucifixion of Samsung being held to impossibility high standard of perfection. Others were saying it was rushed out to market too soon. Eight plus years of development. Really?

You must be reading different stuff then me. I haven't seen anyone demand perfection.. more so just .. idk.. a warning message on the display to warn people? Doesn't sound that hard to me

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You must be reading different stuff then me. I haven't seen anyone demand perfection.. more so just .. idk.. a warning message on the display to warn people? Doesn't sound that hard to me

There have been tons of rants that given the price point that Samsung should have brought a product to market with all the glitches worked out. This is a niche beta product for the right owner who appreciates the tech and realizes what they are buying.

As far as the warning label is concerned, these tech bloggers who are responsible for the issues with their Fold review units that have dominated and sucked up all the oxygen in the room instead of an adult conversation about what Samsung got right

It's like the coffee cup warming label that McDonald's had to put on them because of someone else's negligence and McDonald's being blamed for something that is common sense with regard to avoid doing things that would result in burns from a boiling hot liquid. These tech bloggers are experienced and knowledgeable enough about the new screen tech to realize that it's not the same as removing protective film from a glass screen. Being such new tech, the prudent thing would be to ask the manufacturer with whom thses bloggers probably have the contacts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There have been tons of rants that given the price point that Samsung should have brought a product to market with all the glitches worked out. This is a niche beta product for the right owner who appreciates the tech and realizes what they are buying.

People will always say that and have been about any tech product for years. This is literally not new at all.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

As far as the warning label is concerned, these tech bloggers who are responsible for the issues with their Fold review units that have dominated and sucked up all the oxygen in the room instead of an adult conversation about what Samsung got right

It's like the coffee cup warming label that McDonald's had to put on them because of someone else's negligence and McDonald's being blamed for something that is common sense with regard to avoid doing things that would result in burns from a boiling hot liquid. These tech bloggers are experienced and knowledgeable enough about the new screen tech to realize that it's not the same as removing protective film from a glass screen. Being such new tech, the prudent thing would be to ask the manufacturer with whom thses bloggers probably have the contacts.

Anyone could the mistake of removing what they thought might be protective film regardless of experience.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I think Samsung should go a far as to warn people on the phone itself, that they are handling a first generation, delicate new technology, and then explain ways in which to care for it.

But I know they won't do that because it might discourage potential buyers.

Anyway, I hope for the best with this, because although I wouldn't buy this one, I can't wait to own the next one or the one after that.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone could the mistake of removing what they thought might be protective film regardless of experience.

True. However, these bloggers make their living based upon the monetization of their content. They have access to products and technology that the rest of us don't. My point is that they should have been confident enough to provide clarity and admit their error so that the impression of the device wouldn't have been damaged and the level of blowback on Samsung would have been mitigated.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung should go a far as to warn people on the phone itself, that they are handling a first generation, delicate new technology, and then explain ways in which to care for it.

But I know they won't do that because it might discourage potential buyers.

Anyway, I hope for the best with this, because although I wouldn't buy this one, I can't wait to own the next one or the one after that.

I agree. We want companies like Samsung to be encouraged to continue the progress in the development of devices that are innovative and unique.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781