Galaxy Fold gets delayed! (Update: Officially)

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a delay (CNET said a month delay) but in the long run this might've saved Samsung butts. I may be being to much of a Samsung slappy here, but if this problem didn't happen before the launch just imagine what kind of mess Samsung would be in.

Also, maybe they will figure something other then plastic, something better for the phone.

Also it probably got shipped to carriers already and the carriers have to ship it back to Samsung. It probably takes about 24 hours to update the status.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Says it all:

To fully evaluate this feedback and run further internal tests, we have decided to delay the release of the Galaxy Fold. We plan to announce the release date in the coming weeks.

Initial findings from the inspection of reported issues on the display showed that they could be associated with impact on the top and bottom exposed areas of the hinge. There was also an instance where substances found inside the device affected the display performance.

We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold.

It sounds like it will be longer than just one month...

The thing is that it is good thing they caught it before they shipped it to you. You probably be getting an even better Fold once they get it fixed. They might've figured out the problem already and it just going to take time to replace all of them. They knew about this problem for a week in a half now. I bet as soon as they heard about it they were working on a solution.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing this delay is to add actual warnings and guides directly into the software either through text or Bixby.

I doubt they'll change anything with the device itself in just a month's time.

More than just warnings

..."We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold."...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
More than just warnings

..."We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold."...

Nice to hear. Hopefully they can get all of that done in one months so that customers waiting don't get left hanging.

I have my doubts though...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'll wait for you to buy 3rd or 4th Gen, then I'll think about it.

Same. If this becomes the future of smartphone sales, they'll also be more choice by then. Samsung themselves will probably have more than one type of design on the market. There's really no need to have this one, although it does look cool. Not worth the early adoption headaches.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Interesting that Samsung seems to have identified two issues that need to be addressed: 1. The hinge may have come into contact with the screen due to pressure and 2. Objects entering the device.

Somewhat hard to believe these were not discovered in product testing.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that Samsung seems to have identified two issues that need to be addressed: 1. The hinge may have come into contact with the screen due to pressure and 2. Objects entering the device.

Maybe, but how many smartphones are released every year with early adoption issues, some software and some even with hardware issues? If things can be missed on modern smartphones that companies have been releasing for years, there had to be at least a possibility of challenges with a prototype design.

That's why real world use is so important. The problem is, how do you get any real world use with a prototype you're trying to keep to secret?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Product testing helps for sure and is required but it never means a company will catch every aspect. Users do things devs / engineers wouldn't think about simply because they are so engrossed.

While I do think Samsung needs a warning for such things I can also forgive not finding every possible flaw within that testing area. Many products get released and after being in the wild for awhile they see a trend of problems then never saw in testing.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
That's why real world use is so important. The problem is, how do you get any real world use with a prototype you're trying to keep to secret?

You sell it but guarantee 2 years of protection. Basically reward those willing to be on the bleeding edge by having their backs and being open and honest about the risks.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Find a H.S. or two, find a dozen kids and give them a phone for a week or two. They'll put that phone through the paces of daily life carrying in pocket, or bag, taking it to school, park, beach, restaurants. Normal use. Some may be anal with their tech. some may be clumsy and you'll get the drop or two out of pocket or bag. You'll find out all the weakness' by then ;)

Just playing in an office and just plain opening and closing all day is nothing.

Product testing helps for sure and is required but it never means a company will catch every aspect. Users do things devs / engineers wouldn't think about simply because they are so engrossed.

While I do think Samsung needs a warning for such things I can also forgive not finding every possible flaw within that testing area. Many products get released and after being in the wild for awhile they see a trend of problems then never saw in testing.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You sell it but guarantee 2 years of protection. Basically reward those willing to be on the bleeding edge by having their backs and being open and honest about the risks.

Like Apple, if Samsung were to do that, they'd find a way to charge you for it, and it would be like pulling teeth to actually collect on that.

I love Samsung products, but have NO illusions about their customer service.

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Rules
The Best phone was Note 7, unfortunately had to return it
Did not have any issues with it.
Now i feel Galaxy Fold is awesome & waiting to get my hands on it
Good things happen to ones who are Patient

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I agree..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Rules
The Best phone was Note 7, unfortunately had to return it
Did not have any issues with it.
Now i feel Galaxy Fold is awesome & waiting to get my hands on it
Good things happen to ones who are Patient

Not sure how to interpret your take on Note 7.... emojis are not viewable