Galaxy Fold gets delayed! (Update: Officially)

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Fold gets delayed!

Delayed everywhere for at least a month according to the WSJ.

The upshot for those of us who were willing to be guinea pigs is that we may get to see Huawei, xiomi and hopefully the razr before buying. The xiomi and razr interest me. The Huawei is just too expensive.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

You think the Huawei will hit carriers?

Not in the US I don't. At 2700 it's too rich for me either way. I could justify the 2k for the fold (barely) and the Huawei has its own set of compromises and issues. The xiomi looks pretty awesome and might provide us all a fix for less money and the razr looks really cool albeit a much different device.

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Good it got delayed
Gives me more time to collect my Money

Ok Jokes apart, they will release it on 26th
Only Launch Events have been cancelled

So all those who Preorder should get it as scheduled

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Fwiw, att still showing my phone ships on 4/24. So if it is indeed delayed, it hasn't been communicated to carriers yet.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Good it got delayed
Gives me more time to collect my Money

Ok Jokes apart, they will release it on 26th
Only Launch Events have been cancelled

So all those who Preorder should get it as scheduled

They will not be shipping or released on the 26th.

"SEOUL— Samsung Electronics Co. is delaying the expected Friday rollout of its Galaxy Fold smartphone until at least next month, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest fallout from a product headache that began with tech reviewers reporting their test devices had malfunctioned.

The Galaxy Fold phone—priced at nearly $2,000 and the industry’s first mainstream foldable-screen device—was slated to hit shelves this week in the U.S. But problems with phones being used by reviewers have changed those plans, the people said.

The new rollout is expected in the coming weeks, though a firm date has yet to be determined, they said.

Though the company’s internal investigation remains ongoing, the Galaxy Fold phone’s reported issues stem from problems affecting the handset’s hinge and extra pressure applied to the internal screen, the people said.

A Samsung spokeswoman didn’t have immediate comment. The company had previously said it would adhere to its plans for the Galaxy Fold phones to hit shelves on April 26 in the U.S."

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Fwiw, att still showing my phone ships on 4/24. So if it is indeed delayed, it hasn't been communicated to carriers yet.

It makes one wonder how much can be tweaked in a month beyond software and packaging to include a plethora of warnings for those who apparently needed it. Deliveries could be even delayed until after the new launch date. I wouldn't be surprised if the launch delay slips to June.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

What a disaster. At least Sammy isn't boring. I love my iPhone. It just works period. But man is it boring.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

It makes one wonder how much can be tweaked in a month beyond software and packaging to include a plethora of warnings for those who apparently needed it. Deliveries could be even delayed until after the new launch date.

Agreed. Only thing you could really do in a month is retrofit a fix for the gap perhaps so that stuff can't enter the hinge. That's my best guess. But a retrofit will only make the device feel even more like a prototype. So I agree. I don't think a month does anything. Seems like a panic move.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

I still think they could just ship them and make it clear that all devices qualify for premium care for 2 years. Basically admit it's a beta test of sorts and reward early adopters with an insurance plan. The costs would be peanuts compared to the bad pr they are going to get for this.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm guessing this delay is to add actual warnings and guides directly into the software either through text or Bixby.

I doubt they'll change anything with the device itself in just a month's time.

hagalah

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

this news is not officially announced by samsung. just from 'the people'. I doubt they will delay the shipment without notice preorders. let's wait and see for the next few days and don't jump into conclusion so soon.

They will not be shipping or released on the 26th.

"SEOUL— Samsung Electronics Co. is delaying the expected Friday rollout of its Galaxy Fold smartphone until at least next month, according to people familiar with the matter, the latest fallout from a product headache that began with tech reviewers reporting their test devices had malfunctioned.

The Galaxy Fold phone—priced at nearly $2,000 and the industry’s first mainstream foldable-screen device—was slated to hit shelves this week in the U.S. But problems with phones being used by reviewers have changed those plans, the people said.

The new rollout is expected in the coming weeks, though a firm date has yet to be determined, they said.

Though the company’s internal investigation remains ongoing, the Galaxy Fold phone’s reported issues stem from problems affecting the handset’s hinge and extra pressure applied to the internal screen, the people said.

A Samsung spokeswoman didn’t have immediate comment. The company had previously said it would adhere to its plans for the Galaxy Fold phones to hit shelves on April 26 in the U.S."

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

I'm guessing this delay is to add actual warnings and guides directly into the software either through text or Bixby.

I doubt they'll change anything with the device itself in just a month's time.
You may be right but if that's all they are doing, they should just release it. There isn't a single person on the planet who doesn't know not to peel the screen protector by now let along the relatively few of us who were actually dumb enough to buy one.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

Either the month is just to add warnings to packaging, or the month delay will grow and become months.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

this news is not officially announced by samsung. just from 'the people'. I doubt they will delay the shipment without notice preorders. let's wait and see for the next few days and don't jump into conclusion so soon.

So you think the Wall Street Journal is reporting incorrect information?