Welp, anyone looking at the Mate X now?

icellphones

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Since the Galaxy Fold will probably not release until June, is anyone going to take a second look at the Mate X? That releases in June too......??????

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Since the Galaxy Fold will probably not release until June, is anyone going to take a second look at the Mate X? That releases in June too......������
Definitely not. We already guessed this screen tech is fragile. Having it on the outside seems like a terrible idea. Also it's way more expensive, and doesn't have video calling/selfie cam in the tablet mode. If it was the same price then I'd consider it if they had some clever case design that gave it more protection and let it flip open easily.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Since the Galaxy Fold will probably not release until June, is anyone going to take a second look at the Mate X? That releases in June too......������

Latest I saw was that the Mate X was releasing this fall, Samsung will probably still be out first with the Fold, but who knows.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Huawei can at least learn a few things that went wrong with Samsung's launch and make adjustments.

But yeah, nearly 3,000 dollars after taxes? Good luck with that.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I had a play with the Mate X and was blown away by how incredible it was, so yeah, if it could come down on price, that's the Foldable I'd go for.
Definitely not. We already guessed this screen tech is fragile. Having it on the outside seems like a terrible idea. Also it's way more expensive, and doesn't have video calling/selfie cam in the tablet mode. If it was the same price then I'd consider it if they had some clever case design that gave it more protection and let it flip open easily.
Mate X has leather case that comes with the phone in the packaging, it was showcased at its announcement.
81f2b557d6fa8329e37d3750b81f2b07.gif

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I had a play with the Mate X and was blown away by how incredible it was, so yeah, if it could come down on price, that's the Foldable I'd go for. Mate X has leather case that comes with the phone in the packaging, it was showcased at its announcement.
81f2b557d6fa8329e37d3750b81f2b07.gif

The case looks good. I missed that the first time around. It's still too expensive for me. I would love to go there but I burned a lot of marital Goodwill with the fold. I don't think it will extend another 700.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The Fold design appears to be better from a screen longevity perspective in that folding in subjects the screen to less damage from scratches. The "crease" would seem less likely to become wider or more pronounced.

It would seem that folding out would not only be susceptible to damage especially if dropped but depending upon the screen material could create a more pronounced crease the width of the device almost like a hump right down the middle of the display.

The hinge appears less elegant than the Fold. Also, if the Fold pricing makes you pause, the Mate X is $600+ more than the Fold. Drop the Mate X once and well over $2k is down the tubes not to mention that Huawei will probably be shipping entirely new devices instead of repairing one, something that could dinge profitability.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Fold design appears to be better from a screen longevity perspective in that folding in subjects the screen to less damage from scratches. The "crease" would seem less likely to become wider or more pronounced.

I guess for clumsy type people but I always just have my phone facing my leg in my pocket and have no issues with scratches what-so-ever.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess for clumsy type people but I always just have my phone facing my leg in my pocket and have no issues with scratches what-so-ever.

With the screen on the outside and just imagining potential impact points, the Mate X could suffer catastrophe damage. I too carry my GS10+ face in with a Pelican Shield case. There really isn't a case for the phone in the traditional sense. It is probably going to be in a pouch or wallet case if that is at all possible.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
With the screen on the outside and just imagining potential impact points, the Mate X could suffer catastrophe damage. I too carry my GS10+ face in with a Pelican Shield case. There really isn't a case for the phone in the traditional sense. It is probably going to be in a pouch or wallet case if that is at all possible.

It comes with a case that seems like it would protect it from damage.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Heck no. Screen is fully exposed, lending itself to scratches, and the uneven pressure application which iFixit says will destroy an OLED screen. The case it comes in looks pretty neat, until you realize...dust and pocket lint will certainly sneak in between it and the screen.

Baz S

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm very interested, always have been, I prefer it's design.
I am sure they are learning from the news and thus may delay its release too.
Reviewers have been handling the Mate X for months.

I look forward to seeing it in person one day. Alas its out of my league in price for now.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The Huawei case looks counter intuitive. Not a fan of the Mate X design. Samsung's implementation still looks better to me.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm very interested, always have been, I prefer it's design.
I am sure they are learning from the news and thus may delay its release too.
Reviewers have been handling the Mate X for months.

I look forward to seeing it in person one day. Alas its out of my league in price for now.
Lol, this is exactly what people are forgetting, the Mate X has been out in people's hands for a long time, Huawei were smart they let regular people get hold of it including me, they used this as an opportunity to test and see how it could hold up. In most countries where Huawei exist they have Mate X devices out in the wild in multiple versions and states of build.

At the P30 Pro launch locally the head of Huawei products here in SA had a Mate X with him on stage that he had been using for a while, he didn't showcase it but he used it quite a bit before talking and even when sitting down, seems it's his daily driver.

People are also forgetting that the Mate X will come with a Case out the box.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Lol, this is exactly what people are forgetting, the Mate X has been out in people's hands for a long time, Huawei were smart they let regular people get hold of it including me, they used this as an opportunity to test and see how it could hold up. In most countries where Huawei exist they have Mate X devices out in the wild in multiple versions and states of build.

At the P30 Pro launch locally the head of Huawei products here in SA had a Mate X with him on stage that he had been using for a while, he didn't showcase it but he used it quite a bit before talking and even when sitting down, seems it's his daily driver.

People are also forgetting that the Mate X will come with a Case out the box.
What makes you think people are forgetting all these things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2