Is the fold still coming?

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
From the reviews who would really want one? Unless they fix the screen issue I don't see Samsung releasing it any day soon.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think they will release something towards the end of the year if they can fix the weak points of debris getting into the phone. If they can't, think we will see a new design next year. Cancelling pre orders is a big sign they have no clue when they will get it right, and good on them for not releasing until ready.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Samsung said that if the fix is not ready by May31st they will cancel all preorders and refund any moneys to customers. Federal regulators are getting involved at this point. I can’t believe they didn’t test this device before releasing it and if someone suggest they did test it then they are 100% wrong. Way to go Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung said that if the fix is not ready by May31st they will cancel all preorders and refund any moneys to customers. Federal regulators are getting involved at this point. I can’t believe they didn’t test this device before releasing it and if someone suggest they did test it then they are 100% wrong. Way to go Samsung.

They tested it, just not adequately. To your point, it's as if they didn't.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't count the Fold or future Samsung foldable smartphone out completely. I can't see abandoning years of research and millions of dollars and man hours.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

That’s not quite what they said. What they said is that if you do not click the link to keep your preorder by 5/31, they will cancel. If you click the link, then the preorder will remain in place. That’s because federal law requires them to cancel the undelivered preorders unless the customer opts back in and waives it. The email note is being overblown.

That said, I do agree that they should probably just give the fold a mercy killing at this point. I still have my att preorder but I can cancel anytime. I enjoy a good train wreck. This theatre is fun. They should bag this one and focus on whatever was being developed behind it. But corporate greed and arrogance might get in the way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That’s not quite what they said. What they said is that if you do not click the link to keep your preorder by 5/31, they will cancel. If you click the link, then the preorder will remain in place. That’s because federal law requires them to cancel the undelivered preorders unless the customer opts back in and waives it. The email note is being overblown.

That said, I do agree that they should probably just give the fold a mercy killing at this point. I still have my att preorder but I can cancel anytime. I enjoy a good train wreck. This theatre is fun. They should bag this one and focus on whatever was being developed behind it. But corporate greed and arrogance might get in the way.

Sometimes it's better to be second

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't count the Fold or future Samsung foldable smartphone out completely. I can't see abandoning years of research and millions of dollars and man hours.
Don't think they are giving up. I think it was rushed, and I think part of the reason is that they are feeling pressure from Huawei nipping at their heels. I think, if not for the political hindrance, Huawei might have unseated Samsung already as the king of Android. Even with the hurdles, Huawei is on a path to surpass Samsung within a year.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't think they are giving up. I think it was rushed, and I think part of the reason is that they are feeling pressure from Huawei nipping at their heels. I think, if not for the political hindrance, Huawei might have unseated Samsung already as the king of Android. Even with the hurdles, Huawei is on a path to surpass Samsung within a year.

I don't think Huawei will surpass Samsung in a year.... certainly not in the US market.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The first part of my sentence implied total Market though I could have been more specific. What are the current numbers now that they're so close?
There are lots of articles about it. Huawei is #2 now. Samsung sales declining, Huawei sales ballooning. Also, political resistance seems to be weakening. Some say Huawei could even overtake Samsung before the end of this year. The point is, I guarantee Samsung is feeling the pressure to try and hold on to their image as top dog.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are lots of articles about it. Huawei is #2 now. Samsung sales declining, Huawei sales ballooning. Also, political resistance seems to be weakening. Some say Huawei could even overtake Samsung before the end of this year. The point is, I guarantee Samsung is feeling the pressure to try and hold their image as top dog.

Without a doubt.... There's always somebody looking to eat your lunch in business

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Without a doubt.... There's always somebody looking to eat your lunch in business
Another article from a few days ago -

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/huawei-vs-samsung-vs-apple,news-29995.html

Huawei Has Blown Past the iPhone, and Samsung Is Next

"If Huawei keeps this pace up, it won’t be long before it surpasses Samsung, which has been the No. 1 smartphone maker for years. IHS Markit says that Huawei’s market share worldwide was 18 percent in Q2, compared to 22 percent for Samsung. So if Huawei’s growth rate continues, it could knock Samsung from its pedestal as soon as this year. "