05-29-2019 12:40 PM
38 12
tools
    For example, I was first in line for the HTC Thunderbolt. A waste! Also first to get the Palm Pre, another waste! I could go on and on about other types of electronics and whiz-bangers...all a waste, haha!
    05-23-2019 03:11 PM
    For example, I was first in line for the HTC Thunderbolt. A waste! Also first to get the Palm Pre, another waste! I could go on and on about other types of electronics and whiz-bangers...all a waste, haha!
    And not one of them were $2,000.
    05-23-2019 04:16 PM
    Okay, well...how about this? Around 12 years ago, I got into high end digital photography and bought the Nikon D1x that had terrible nickel metal hydrid batteries that could barely hold a charge. The D1x camera body alone was over $5,000. It wasn't until the next generation of D-SLRs that came out with the better lithion ion batteries.
    05-23-2019 07:05 PM
    Okay, well...how about this? Around 12 years ago, I got into high end digital photography and bought the Nikon D1x that had terrible nickel metal hydrid batteries that could barely hold a charge. The D1x camera body alone was over $5,000. It wasn't until the next generation of D-SLRs that came out with the better lithion ion batteries.
    Well you are used to being the guinea pig and test high dollar equipment out. I thank you in advance for testing the fold phone out if it does come out.

The bottom line for me, I was interested in a folding phone, but the more I think about it I'm not to sure anymore. It's thicker and really I think the neat cool new factor will wear off fast. I'm going to pay attention to it though, could surprise me, never know.
    05-23-2019 07:35 PM
    Digital photography equipment sucks from a longevity standpoint. Equipment becomes dated much too quickly compared to film bodies.
    05-23-2019 09:23 PM
    Digital photography equipment sucks from a longevity standpoint. Equipment becomes dated much too quickly compared to film bodies.
    But it's still fun to break out and use occasionally. Back in 2001 or so, I bought a Sony digital camera at Circuit City. It was i believe a 3.2 megapixel that recorded onto a little CD. It cost about $1,000 back then. To this day, it still works. I'll charge up the two batteries and go shoot a few pictures. I'm always surprised at the picture quality it still produces compared to todays pictures. Sony had something quit good back then, it's just recording the pictures onto a CD was not a very good idea.
    05-24-2019 07:28 AM
    And not one of them were $2,000.
    I bought the Atari Jaguar on release date. Now that was a real piece of crap. It was 1993 and cost 249.
    05-24-2019 09:57 AM
    Some 15+ years ago, I purchased a Toshiba Tecra laptop for about $6,000 total. Why did I get that? Cuz the IBM Thinkpad version cost $8,000! That Toshiba laptop was considered high tech back then. Had to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a read only CD rom unit, plus another couple hundred for a 56k modem accessory that went into a slot. The specs on that laptop is absurdly minimal compared to today's technology. I think it used the 1.44mb disks to save data. I was using AOL dial up at the time. I'm pretty sure this pre-dates many on this forum, LOL! Boy was I a sucker!
    05-28-2019 04:50 PM
    Some 15+ years ago, I purchased a Toshiba Tecra laptop for about $6,000 total. Why did I get that? Cuz the IBM Thinkpad version cost $8,000! That Toshiba laptop was considered high tech back then. Had to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a read only CD rom unit, plus another couple hundred for a 56k modem accessory that went into a slot. The specs on that laptop is absurdly minimal compared to today's technology. I think it used the 1.44mb disks to save data. I was using AOL dial up at the time. I'm pretty sure this pre-dates many on this forum, LOL! Boy was I a sucker!
    Don't predate me. Good ole AOL
    05-28-2019 05:00 PM
    I used to get all excited with anticipation for that "You got mail" voice alert. How times have changed.
    05-28-2019 09:53 PM
    Don't predate me. Good ole AOL
    CompuServe
    05-28-2019 10:18 PM
    Dialing into BBS' with my brand new Apple //e my dad got me with a Novation Apple-cat 300 half duplex modem.

CompuServe
    05-29-2019 07:09 AM
    https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/16/t...ied-young.html

Back in 2001, I subscribed to Ricochet Wireless network. Paid something like $80 monthly to velcro tape a piece of brick-like device to my laptop. It literally took about 5 minutes just to load the home page cuz the network was so slow, which relied on transmitters on top of telephone poles (hopefully) nearby your neighborhood. Seem very futuristic at the time, but it was way ahead of its time. Another guinea pig early adopter fail !
    05-29-2019 12:40 PM
38 12