More Details on the Design Changes on Fold

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
True that sales have grown stagnant but if they push 5G or some other tech is released that excited the masses that could change. We are still seeing upward spikes from the likes of the big players'.

Right. But do you see people actually paying 1200.00-1500.00 for a phone? Cause that's where prices are heading.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The Fold, hmmm. When I was younger, I loved being an early adopter and spending the extra $ to be the first guinea pig in line. The only fleeting reward for being an early adopter was the temporary bragging rights. Very temporary, haha!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
For example, I was first in line for the HTC Thunderbolt. A waste! Also first to get the Palm Pre, another waste! I could go on and on about other types of electronics and whiz-bangers...all a waste, haha!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, well...how about this? Around 12 years ago, I got into high end digital photography and bought the Nikon D1x that had terrible nickel metal hydrid batteries that could barely hold a charge. The D1x camera body alone was over $5,000. It wasn't until the next generation of D-SLRs that came out with the better lithion ion batteries.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay, well...how about this? Around 12 years ago, I got into high end digital photography and bought the Nikon D1x that had terrible nickel metal hydrid batteries that could barely hold a charge. The D1x camera body alone was over $5,000. It wasn't until the next generation of D-SLRs that came out with the better lithion ion batteries.
Well you are used to being the guinea pig and test high dollar equipment out. I thank you in advance for testing the fold phone out if it does come out.

The bottom line for me, I was interested in a folding phone, but the more I think about it I'm not to sure anymore. It's thicker and really I think the neat cool new factor will wear off fast. I'm going to pay attention to it though, could surprise me, never know.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Digital photography equipment sucks from a longevity standpoint. Equipment becomes dated much too quickly compared to film bodies.

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Digital photography equipment sucks from a longevity standpoint. Equipment becomes dated much too quickly compared to film bodies.

But it's still fun to break out and use occasionally. Back in 2001 or so, I bought a Sony digital camera at Circuit City. It was i believe a 3.2 megapixel that recorded onto a little CD. It cost about $1,000 back then. To this day, it still works. I'll charge up the two batteries and go shoot a few pictures. I'm always surprised at the picture quality it still produces compared to todays pictures. Sony had something quit good back then, it's just recording the pictures onto a CD was not a very good idea.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Some 15+ years ago, I purchased a Toshiba Tecra laptop for about $6,000 total. Why did I get that? Cuz the IBM Thinkpad version cost $8,000! That Toshiba laptop was considered high tech back then. Had to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a read only CD rom unit, plus another couple hundred for a 56k modem accessory that went into a slot. The specs on that laptop is absurdly minimal compared to today's technology. I think it used the 1.44mb disks to save data. I was using AOL dial up at the time. I'm pretty sure this pre-dates many on this forum, LOL! Boy was I a sucker!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Some 15+ years ago, I purchased a Toshiba Tecra laptop for about $6,000 total. Why did I get that? Cuz the IBM Thinkpad version cost $8,000! That Toshiba laptop was considered high tech back then. Had to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a read only CD rom unit, plus another couple hundred for a 56k modem accessory that went into a slot. The specs on that laptop is absurdly minimal compared to today's technology. I think it used the 1.44mb disks to save data. I was using AOL dial up at the time. I'm pretty sure this pre-dates many on this forum, LOL! Boy was I a sucker!
Don't predate me. Good ole AOL

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
https://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/16/technology/ricochet-network-lived-fast-and-died-young.html

Back in 2001, I subscribed to Ricochet Wireless network. Paid something like $80 monthly to velcro tape a piece of brick-like device to my laptop. It literally took about 5 minutes just to load the home page cuz the network was so slow, which relied on transmitters on top of telephone poles (hopefully) nearby your neighborhood. Seem very futuristic at the time, but it was way ahead of its time. Another guinea pig early adopter fail !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463