Fold is fixed, September release

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As much as I'm glad for those that want it in the worst way, it appears they only did what they should have down in the first place.

If you buy one, good luck and my advice for what it's worth, is invest in a protection plan. It would be nice if they did something like LG or Google did in the past to promote consumer confidence by including a longer warranty.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Smart man

I really wanted this 2 months ago. No i feel like buying this is a mistake. Samsung and others are probably well into developing second gen foldable phones. Hoping I can resist the urge to be an early adopter and use my brain for once. Everything about this screams pass on this one in favor for the note 10+.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted this 2 months ago. No i feel like buying this is a mistake. Samsung and others are probably well into developing second gen foldable phones. Hoping I can resist the urge to be an early adopter and use my brain for once. Everything about this screams pass on this one in favor for the note 10+.
I know how you feel. I backed out of this sooner so it's easier for me to say no now. I feel the note 10 pro is the way to go IMO. I personally feel the flip is going to flop this time around.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if they did something like LG or Google did in the past to promote consumer confidence by including a longer warranty.
At least. For nearly $2,000, I'd expect a warranty against screen failure for at least as long as the phone was usable by most people (at least 3 or 4 Android version updates). There are conductors in the screens, and constant flexing of any conductor leads to failure (and some people are going to open and close the phone 20, 30, maybe even 50 times a day. Do that with a single very thin wire (say 40 gauge), and it's going to fail quickly.

Reviews are nice, but the reviewer isn't going to be taking the phone out of his pocket every 15 minutes, for 3 or 4 days, opening the screen every day. But most buyers will give the phone a lot more use than that. (Some things just can't be tested except by machine ... and I wonder if Samsung subjected the screen to 5 million unfold-fold operations while it was running.)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
At least. For nearly $2,000, I'd expect a warranty against screen failure for at least as long as the phone was usable by most people (at least 3 or 4 Android version updates). There are conductors in the screens, and constant flexing of any conductor leads to failure (and some people are going to open and close the phone 20, 30, maybe even 50 times a day. Do that with a single very thin wire (say 40 gauge), and it's going to fail quickly.

Reviews are nice, but the reviewer isn't going to be taking the phone out of his pocket every 15 minutes, for 3 or 4 days, opening the screen every day. But most buyers will give the phone a lot more use than that. (Some things just can't be tested except by machine ... and I wonder if Samsung subjected the screen to 5 million unfold-fold operations while it was running.)
All the more reason to sit back, drink coffee and see how it goes for the early adopters.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
All the more reason to sit back, drink coffee and see how it goes for the early adopters.
No doubt. I didn't want a Fold in the first place but it's kinda like following a beta thread that you're not participating in. Curious to see how the experience is for those that choose to jump onboard.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No doubt. I didn't want a Fold in the first place but it's kinda like following a beta thread that you're not participating in. Curious to see how the experience is for those that choose to jump onboard.
It will be as exciting as watching grass grow at first and the weeds will come and overtake the lawn

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'm glad for those that want it in the worst way, it appears they only did what they should have down in the first place.

If you buy one, good luck and my advice for what it's worth, is invest in a protection plan. It would be nice if they did something like LG or Google did in the past to promote consumer confidence by including a longer warranty.

The Samsung Galaxy Fold is a great concept and it looks pretty cool, but there is no way I'd risk that investment. When a prototype is so new like that, I hesitate to buy it and think, "Maybe in a few years, when the technology has been perfected."

That's why I'm staying away from in-display fingerprint scanners. I like waiting to see how the tech fares/if there are any updates or advancements before buying.

And I agree with you about Samsung doing a warranty similar to Google's in order to bolster customer satisfaction.

I'll definitely follow the Fold's release, however. It will be a fun time, to be sure!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Fold is a great concept and it looks pretty cool, but there is no way I'd risk that investment. When a prototype is so new like that, I hesitate to buy it and think, "Maybe in a few years, when the technology has been perfected."

That's why I'm staying away from in-display fingerprint scanners. I like waiting to see how the tech fares/if there are any updates or advancements before buying.

And I agree with you about Samsung doing a warranty similar to Google's in order to bolster customer satisfaction.

I'll definitely follow the Fold's release, however. It will be a fun time, to be sure!
It's a tech toy that I can afford but I don't have a desire for. It's looks bulky and awkward when folded and I just can't see myself with it. I actually like the Huawei look better but an external plastic screen doesn't make sense either.
If they could make one like the prop in Westworld than I might be interested.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd have to play with it in store to know for sure whether I want one. But the price is very high, and I think overall, I'm going to wait until:
a) These have been on the market for 1 generation.
b) It supports an S-Pen, which afaik is not currently possible on flexible OLED. Just imagine a device like this with S-Pen support...

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
So in a short few months they managed to resolve every problem seen with first reiteration. Not buying that for one second. Maybe I'll be eating crow but either way it's definitely not for me yet will be interesting to see what the final outcome is after much use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol