My REAL thoughts on this phone

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
How often do you run your fingernails across your screen...? That's like complaining about a glass phone screen scratching when your drag your diamond ring over it.
Well point is, if something as soft as a fingernail will damage the screen, it won't take much. Fingernails do more then just scratch the screen on the fold.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just because someone is concerned about the fragility of the screen doesn't mean they hate the phone. These are legitimate concerns. Hopefully they don't become issues for you or anyone else, but given this phone's history and Samsung's voluntary delay in order to fix many of the issues that they acknowledged, I think it's prudent to approach this with caution.

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Just because someone is concerned about the fragility of the screen doesn't mean they hate the phone. These are legitimate concerns. Hopefully they don't become issues for you or anyone else, but given this phone's history and Samsung's voluntary delay in order to fix many of the issues that they acknowledged, I think it's prudent to approach this with caution.

I understand being concerned with durability. I dont understand people putting stock in a clickbait video where the guy intentionally digs his nail into the display and drags it. I could see if someone sneezed on it and the fold shattered or caught fire. I just dont get negative press for this device when the writers in question are digging their nails and fingers into a plastic display and being shocked when it scratches.

It reminds me of drop tests. They hurl the thing to the ground and are surprised glass cracks. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not trying to attack or be mean. I just dont get the logic.

I encourage anyone to visit a carrier store or any store that has a demo and use the device for yourself.

While i was waiting for my order the demo unit took on the abuse of people slamming it shut and using it how normal people would use it didn't have anything wrong with it

Not saying it isn't fragile, but I dont understand dismissing it so easily. It's an awesome phone. I wish more people would hold one so they could understand it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is no doubt that the phone is a technological marvel -- I'd say that most if not all reviewers who gave it a bad review agree that from a technological innovation standpoint, it's impressive.

I would agree that JerryRigEverything's videos are a bit excessive -- they generally don't have any real world impact for most people, since most people aren't trying to bend their phones by accident or on purpose with that much force, or banging an icepick into the screen. But the benefit is that with the exaggerated abuse he puts the phones through, it gives you a good idea of what the weak points of the phone are. If I were considering that phone, I'd be most concerned about the impact of the inevitable debris that will get caught between the screens without my knowledge (don't bring it to the beach!), or the durability of the screen with the repetitive folding.

But anyway, let's hear more about your real world experience (and thanks to the OP for posting that video)!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubt that the phone is a technological marvel -- I'd say that most if not all reviewers who gave it a bad review agree that from a technological innovation standpoint, it's impressive.

I would agree that JerryRigEverything's videos are a bit excessive -- they generally don't have any real world impact for most people, since most people aren't trying to bend their phones by accident or on purpose with that much force, or banging an icepick into the screen. But the benefit is that with the exaggerated abuse he puts the phones through, it gives you a good idea of what the weak points of the phone are. If I were considering that phone, I'd be most concerned about the impact of the inevitable debris that will get caught between the screens without my knowledge (don't bring it to the beach!), or the durability of the screen with the repetitive folding.

But anyway, let's hear more about your real world experience (and thanks to the OP for posting that video)!
You said it perfect. Look what it takes to scratch a screen on let's say the note 10 and such screens, a lot more then a fingernail. The screens on note 10 and such get scratches under normal usage. The fold, just a fingernail can do it, really damage it. Yes, Jerry videos are extreme, but scratches in normal glass screens are real, and so I'm betting the fingernail thing is real, just shows it will take less to destroy the fold screen is what he is doing.

I'm a tech junkie, so I'm curious and will be watching how the fold holds up. Good for Samsung to push the boundaries. I think the screen is going to be a issue. I'm not hating on the phone, I want it to succeed. It's first generation.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand being concerned with durability. I dont understand people putting stock in a clickbait video where the guy intentionally digs his nail into the display and drags it. I could see if someone sneezed on it and the fold shattered or caught fire. I just dont get negative press for this device when the writers in question are digging their nails and fingers into a plastic display and being shocked when it scratches.

It reminds me of drop tests. They hurl the thing to the ground and are surprised glass cracks. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not trying to attack or be mean. I just dont get the logic.

I encourage anyone to visit a carrier store or any store that has a demo and use the device for yourself.

While i was waiting for my order the demo unit took on the abuse of people slamming it shut and using it how normal people would use it didn't have anything wrong with it

Not saying it isn't fragile, but I dont understand dismissing it so easily. It's an awesome phone. I wish more people would hold one so they could understand it
I know you won't intentionally drag your fingernail across the screen, just like I won't intentionally take a knife and scratch my note 10+ screen. Jerry videos are not click bait. He shows what your phone can take under different situations. What is being said here is that a fingernail, something considerably softer then a knife can damage the folds screen. Glass screens on several phones that can take a lot more abuse get scratched under normal usage all the time, the folds screen is a lot more fragile then other screens, that is what he is showing... That's not click bait.

With that said, I'm hoping for the best on this phone. I love phones, but the durability of the screen gives me worry. I'm not in on the $2,000 beta testing, it's too rich for me.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
My thinking is this, (I have not had any hands on with this device yet) I think this is a major advancement in mobility technology and I believe there will be much activity with this type of device. This being a gen 1 iteration there will be flaws and growing pains. to Me it seems like a very advanced bit of tech, it also has some of the fragility of old school PDA/pre-capacitive screen based phones. I still want to see one and decide how i feel about it.

Cheers,
BR

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My thinking is this, (I have not had any hands on with this device yet) I think this is a major advancement in mobility technology and I believe there will be much activity with this type of device. This being a gen 1 iteration there will be flaws and growing pains. to Me it seems like a very advanced bit of tech, it also has some of the fragility of old school PDA/pre-capacitive screen based phones. I still want to see one and decide how i feel about it.

Cheers,
BR
Agree. It's first generation, there's going to be flaws, weak points. Hopefully it grows and develops.

One thing it needs to get my attention is full front screen, the way it is now is like going backwards IMO. Needs a SD card, no reason it shouldn't, as this is targeting different audience with storage demands, it should also have a aux plug, we are in different territory with this type of phone, and the battery should be bigger. I am also hoping for it to close without that gap, with a delicate screen, all the help we can get would be great, but that brings up another concern, will the screen touching each other be an issue.

Like I've said, I agree, this is impressive, but I'm not into beta testing it at that price point. When I first heard about this I was getting geared up to get one until the price was announced. My hats off to the ones that are willing to do it, you get to play with the latest technology out there, in that regards I'm jealous of you.

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Agree. It's first generation, there's going to be flaws, weak points. Hopefully it grows and develops.

One thing it needs to get my attention is full front screen, the way it is now is like going backwards IMO. Needs a SD card, no reason it shouldn't, as this is targeting different audience with storage demands, it should also have a aux plug, we are in different territory with this type of phone, and the battery should be bigger. I am also hoping for it to close without that gap, with a delicate screen, all the help we can get would be great, but that brings up another concern, will the screen touching each other be an issue.

Like I've said, I agree, this is impressive, but I'm not into beta testing it at that price point. When I first heard about this I was getting geared up to get one until the price was announced. My hats off to the ones that are willing to do it, you get to play with the latest technology out there, in that regards I'm jealous of you.
I myself am happy the front screen isn't full because I like that it's easy one handed. I still don't understand why people coming to sd cards and 3.5mm. Sd cards are slower and much more likely to corrupt and 3.5mm is inferior to music over the charging port

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I myself am happy the front screen isn't full because I like that it's easy one handed. I still don't understand why people coming to sd cards and 3.5mm. Sd cards are slower and much more likely to corrupt and 3.5mm is inferior to music over the charging port
SD cards are still good for pictures and crap like that. Aux, I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have, there's still some uses for it, but have to start somewhere when technology moves on. It's not a deal breaker for me, but for some it is

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I have no issues with audio over USB C and I've been listening to audio through an adaptor since the Pixel 2XL with different dongles. USB C audio is not always superior because there are other factors to consider.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
While I do prefer an SD slot because it allows me to carry content/data between devices easily, I have had devices without and could live without. As to a 3.5mm jack, I am getting used to my Galaxy Buds and have a usb-c -3.5mm adapter to allow options.

Cheers,
BR

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
While I do prefer an SD slot because it allows me to carry content/data between devices easily, I have had devices without and could live without. As to a 3.5mm jack, I am getting used to my Galaxy Buds and have a usb-c -3.5mm adapter to allow options.

Cheers,
BR
Which adapter did you buy?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Google branded one that Best Buy carries. I keep it with a pair of the AKG earbuds from a previous Note.
I have those and also HTC and Razer. They are each unique but the Razer has more kick to it. Might be overkill with the AKG buds but certainly helps with more powerful headphones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis