What do you think of the Galaxy Gear smartwatch

Lekoq Grande

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm still split between if I should get the samsung smartwatch or not..I've heard good things about it but also many negatives about it and at 300 for a camera on my wrist I don't know if its really worth it..That being said, since it has been out for a few days now...if you did get the smartwatch what are your personal pros and cons about it. Thanx

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While its not a necessity, it definitely adds convergence and makes for a useful accessory. I am looking to pick one up on Friday.

DKYang

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You can always try it and then return it if it isn't your cup of tea. I have the Pebble, and as of now, I prefer it over the Gear.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I think that the Gear is great and like it better than I expected to. The pro is that it eliminates many of the little things that I pick up a phone for, such as to check the time, read a text message or an email. It works for the way that I do things, as I read emails from my phone (in the past) but rarely respond from the phone.

I don't talk much on my mobile phone, but the call function of the watch has come in handy when a call came in and I wasn't near my phone. As my phone is often in my purse with tons of other junk, I often had missed calls because I couldn't grab the phone in time. The Gear eliminates that.

I haven't worn a watch on a regular basis in all of my adult life. I've missed how easy it is to just look at my wrist to see the time.

I can't think of any real cons. There are a couple of things that need to be fine-tuned. One is that email pop-up notifications synced through the email app on the Note 3 display the sender's name on the Gear. However, GMail pop-up notifications don't show the sender's name if it is synced through the GMail app on the Note 3. I want GMail notifications to be the same as email notifications. Also, if someone sends a text message and I start my reply, but another text message comes in, I have to start over with my reply. It's not a big deal since it is done via voice dictation, but there should be a way to finish sending a text message before receiving the notification for an incoming text message.

I suppose the proprietary charger could be seen as a con, but I'll get over it as soon as I can get a travel charger.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think that the Gear is great and like it better than I expected to. The pro is that it eliminates many of the little things that I pick up a phone for, such as to check the time, read a text message or an email. It works for the way that I do things, as I read emails from my phone (in the past) but rarely respond from the phone.

I don't talk much on my mobile phone, but the call function of the watch has come in handy when a call came in and I wasn't near my phone. As my phone is often in my purse with tons of other junk, I often had missed calls because I couldn't grab the phone in time. The Gear eliminates that.

I haven't worn a watch on a regular basis in all of my adult life. I've missed how easy it is to just look at my wrist to see the time.

I can't think of any real cons. There are a couple of things that need to be fine-tuned. One is that email pop-up notifications synced through the email app on the Note 3 display the sender's name on the Gear. However, GMail pop-up notifications don't show the sender's name if it is synced through the GMail app on the Note 3. I want GMail notifications to be the same as email notifications. Also, if someone sends a text message and I start my reply, but another text message comes in, I have to start over with my reply. It's not a big deal since it is done via voice dictation, but there should be a way to finish sending a text message before receiving the notification for an incoming text message.

I suppose the proprietary charger could be seen as a con, but I'll get over it as soon as I can get a travel charger.

@21stNow: This is a great summary of the features and use cases for the GG.

I was going to buy the GG no matter what because I'm an early adopter and the latest tech always interest me. But after getting it this device has proven to be one of the best accessories I have ever purchased. It's not the big things, but the little conveniences that the GG offers.

Take a walk through any mall or sit at any restaurant and you will see countless people with their head buried in their smartphone. Constant notifications of emails, text messages, and appointment reminders keep people looking down constantly at their phones. If you're driving in the car and a text message comes in you seem to instinctively reach for your phone to see who sent it, and what it says. We all tend to do this despite warning after warning to not text and drive. Sitting at the dinner table with the family and everyone has a smartphone, and no one is talking because of checking notifications and fumbling with their phones. Out at a game or strolling through the park and you notice something you want a picture of but by the time you take your camera out of your pocket the shot or the moment is lost. We know this is important to many because phone manufacturers are constantly coming with ways to make picture taking more accessible by adding lock screen access to the camera to minimize delays.

Well, with each of these things the GG addresses them all in a sleek stylish and professional looking timepiece. Without ever picking up my phone I can read email. I can read and respond to a text message. I can be notified of my next appointment or task. I can take a picture or quick video in a fraction of the time it would take someone using a smartphone (even using my voice without the need to touch the screen). I can schedule appointments, view my contact list, or even record a voice memo to remind me of a task.

It's the shear convenience that the GG offers that makes it so valuable. The "so called" professional reviewers only seem to focus on one or two aspects, but that's usually because they don't put down their own hard earned cash to buy the devices they review so the incentive to dive deeply into the devices capability is limited. However, as an early adopter of many technologies I buy devices and products with my own money so I take the time to set it up properly and use every feature I can find to its full advantage. So for me the GG is well worth the $300 price tag. If you get one, take the time to set it up, use it, and make it your own. I am almost positive you will discover that it adds value to your smartphone, and takes nothing away.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
One is that email pop-up notifications synced through the email app on the Note 3 display the sender's name on the Gear. However, GMail pop-up notifications don't show the sender's name if it is synced through the GMail app on the Note 3. I want GMail notifications to be the same as email notifications.

You can get this functionality by going into the account settings on your phone and unchecking "sync Gmail." Then go to native email app (the white envelope with the @ sign in the middle), and set up your gmail account. Once complete you'll receive your Gmail email on the gear, displayed with the senders name and all.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You can get this functionality by going into the account settings on your phone and unchecking "sync Gmail." Then go to native email app (the white envelope with the @ sign in the middle), and set up your gmail account. Once complete you'll receive your Gmail email on the gear, displayed with the senders name and all.

Yes, but I don't want to do that, as I don't like to have too many different email accounts under the email app. I like to keep things separated.

It's a minor thing that I noticed. It doesn't annoy me enough to want to use a workaround.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but I don't want to do that, as I don't like to have too many different email accounts under the email app. I like to keep things separated.

It's a minor thing that I noticed. It doesn't annoy me enough to want to use a workaround.

Oh yes. I can understand what you're saying.

I am sure with the popularity of the Gear that it's only a matter of time before they push an update to include email sync directly from the Gmail app.

Posted via Android Central App

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Agree with most of the reviews, it is "Cool" but I don't answer any calls on it...

May I ask why not? I held a whole conversation this afternoon using the Gear. There is no need to hold it up to your face either. I was just speaking normally while signing paperwork and doing other task at my office desk.

deanmartin10

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the gear and note 3 since last Friday when released by AT&T. I have to say that I was reluctant to purchase the watch but went ahead and jumped in. I'm glad I did!!! The gear makes life a lot easer instead of using the phone. I travel 6 days a week and very busy with clients across 3 states. I use the gear to talk, review emails and text which makes it very convenient when in meetings or with a client. I'm also new to the Android platform coming from apple so it's been a slight learning curve. Just as DAS said you should try talking on the GG it's actually clearer than talking connected to u connect in the car. I hope this post helps!! By the way I would be lost without this forum and still have many things to learn on both the gear and the note 3.

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
For me. I was greatly interested in the Note 3, and not the watch. Now, having the watch make me keep the Note 3. I can think of plenty of situations and places where it would be frowned upon or "against the rules" to pull out your phone for whatever reason. With this, you don't necessarily have to.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If I'm being honest with myself, I was going to be getting the watch the moment I heard of it despite the negative reviews. And the silly Note 3 requirement. And the relatively high price. And the fact that I also have an iPhone. But I struggled with all of the above.

So now I'm typing this from my new Galaxy Note 3, a phone I didn't want, with the Galaxy Gear on my wrist. And I'm quite happy with both. Now I just have to figure out what my story to the girlfriend will be.

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If I'm being honest with myself, I was going to be getting the watch the moment I heard of it despite the negative reviews. And the silly Note 3 requirement. And the relatively high price. And the fact that I also have an iPhone. But I struggled with all of the above.

So now I'm typing this from my new Galaxy Note 3, a phone I didn't want, with the Galaxy Gear on my wrist. And I'm quite happy with both. Now I just have to figure out what my story to the girlfriend will be.

I'm with you on getting the watch the moment I heard about it. I'm an 'early adopter' anyway, and knew it was going to be on my wrist. I also have an iPhone 5 - it's my main phone; I used the Note 3 for mostly data/txt msgs. I have one of those prepaid T-Mo cards for $30/ mth that gives 'unlimited' data and text msgs, with 100 mins of talk time. I don't use the talk time, so it works out well for me. I'm a news hound and read a lot of magazines and news feeds, as well, so the Note 3 comes in handy during my work days. I don't think I could manage with just one phone OS. Both have their benefits, but for data/news/display features the Android devices win hands down for quick viewing access. Hence, my Note 3.

As for your girlfriend, honesty is always the best policy. ;-) If you're a gadget hound, like me, it is what it is. I spend so much on gadgets each year that I finally set up a bank account for just that, have direct deposit each month (set-and-forget) for a small amount and it builds up. That's my 'gadget fund', plus what I make from ebay recycling the 'old' gadgets. It usually covers at least 80% of the cost of what I decide to buy.

I'm extremely happy with the Gear and the Note 3, regardless of the 'negative' feedback on the Gear. I think, as DAS pointed out somewhere in the forum, those in the press who mostly review such gadgets get them free to test out and review. I don't feel they necessarily speak for the masses who use such a thing as the Gear on a daily basis and benefit from its functionality. True, it could be better, but what first-gen device could not be? And when the Gear 2 comes out, I'll be one of the first in line.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Ah man, we in the same boat. My wife, who has a S4, plus I gave her a nice big expensive birthday present, with cash, but when I came in with my Note 3, and flashing my GG watch and told her to call me, sheesh, the after effects were almost calling for a DIVORCE. She was damright mad and called me selfish. I asked her why would she say that? She said I should have called her to see if she wanted one. Yeah right, on whose dime!!! That was yesterday, and she still has a tube about it. Not flashing it no more for a while in front of her. I suggest you don't flash the GG in front of your girlfriend!! :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I did think of something about smart watches earlier today. If they can be used as part of security for devices, say if you link your watch to your phone, as long as the two can 'see' each other, that counts as one step of a two step verification, then this isn't such a bad thing.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah man, we in the same boat. My wife, who has a S4, plus I gave her a nice big expensive birthday present, with cash, but when I came in with my Note 3, and flashing my GG watch and told her to call me, sheesh, the after effects were almost calling for a DIVORCE. She was damright mad and called me selfish. I asked her why would she say that? She said I should have called her to see if she wanted one. Yeah right, on whose dime!!! That was yesterday, and she still has a tube about it. Not flashing it no more for a while in front of her. I suggest you don't flash the GG in front of your girlfriend!! :D

Wow! Good thing my wife is not into technology! :thumbup::)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC