What do you think of the Galaxy Gear smartwatch

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
so....i couldn't resist and i got mine today....i tend to be an unapologetic early adopter but i'm still on the fence about this thing. i've only had it half a day so i'll keep my mind open and see how it works out for a full day tomorrow.

one drawback is its thick.....i get it its a computer on my wrist, but i'm a girl and while not petite by any stretch it still seems like its front and center. when i looked at one in the store it had that security thing on it and so i didn't get a true picture of the size....

plus is the customizable watch face....super fun!! there should be more color options for text on the app however!!

so anyway....i'll see how it goes for a while....

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
so....i couldn't resist and i got mine today....i tend to be an unapologetic early adopter but i'm still on the fence about this thing. i've only had it half a day so i'll keep my mind open and see how it works out for a full day tomorrow.

one drawback is its thick.....i get it its a computer on my wrist, but i'm a girl and while not petite by any stretch it still seems like its front and center. when i looked at one in the store it had that security thing on it and so i didn't get a true picture of the size....

plus is the customizable watch face....super fun!! there should be more color options for text on the app however!!

so anyway....i'll see how it goes for a while....

Enjoy! Let us know how you like it.

I've read in other forums how many people wished Samsung had made a model that was more feminine, and even an option without the camera. For a guy the watch face and band are standard issue, but women watches are usually a bit smaller. Anyway, keep us up to date on how you're using it, and if it provides convenience for you.

RBChamp

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I love, love, love it. My wife and I are very active (when we are both healthy but I digress) and it is invaluable to be able to leave the awesome note 3 in a jacket pocket or a backpack while we are riding horses, hiking with the dogs or whatever on the farm is wonderful. Also we love pictures and having the watch on hand to take a quick snap of nature or dog antics or each other is priceless. Also on the flip side I am dealing with a severe health issue atm (pancretatitis) and often find myself bedridden for days or weeks but I run a foundation so staying connected is important. Not being tied to the phone is such a relief.

PS I'm a girl -more petite than husky.

Sent from my SGN 10.1 2014 Edition Using Ac forums mobile app .

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I love, love, love it. My wife and I are very active (when we are both healthy but I digress) and it is invaluable to be able to leave the awesome note 3 in a jacket pocket or a backpack while we are riding horses, hiking with the dogs or whatever on the farm is wonderful. Also we love pictures and having the watch on hand to take a quick snap of nature or dog antics or each other is priceless. Also on the flip side I am dealing with a severe health issue atm (pancretatitis) and often find myself bedridden for days or weeks but I run a foundation so staying connected is important. Not being tied to the phone is such a relief.

I am so glad to read you are enjoying the Gear. It truly is the ultimate convenience companion for the Note 3. Enjoy, and let us know if you have any questions!!

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Glad your enjoying it. I just ordered mine off eBay earlier today for $294. I hear you with health problems as at times I too am bedridden for a multitude of reasons. I hope things get better for you. :)

Posted via Android Central App

RBChamp

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad your enjoying it. I just ordered mine off eBay earlier today for $294. I hear you with health problems as at times I too am bedridden for a multitude of reasons. I hope things get better for you. :)

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks -one day at a time. Having health issues is a new game for me but you just have to deal with it the best that you can. :) It's little things like the convenience of this watch that makes things bearable - at least for me. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had one and returned it...wasn't sure I needed the functionality. Boy did I miss it though. Had to get another one. It's quite a useful gizmo.

from a Note III

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I had one and returned it...wasn't sure I needed the functionality. Boy did I miss it though. Had to get another one. It's quite a useful gizmo.

from a Note III

So you purchased it, didn't think you could make use of the functionality, returned it, and then re-purchased another one?

I tell you. I am so use to the convenience the Gear offers that I couldn't use a phone without one now. I really like the GN3, and I have no regrets in my purchase, but if there was anything I could change about the Gear it would be that it was compatible with a larger array of Samsung devices.

I own a Galaxy Nexus which I used to use on the weekend sometime just to switch up, and since I didn't need the productivity features of the Note on the weekend. But since the Gear only works with the GN3 I haven't picked up my Galaxy Nexus since Oct. 4. I just can't imagine being out without the Gear and wearing a regular watch that only tells the time.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So you purchased it, didn't think you could make use of the functionality, returned it, and then re-purchased another one?

I tell you. I am so use to the convenience the Gear offers that I couldn't use a phone without one now. I really like the GN3, and I have no regrets in my purchase, but if there was anything I could change about the Gear it would be that it was compatible with a larger array of Samsung devices.

I own a Galaxy Nexus which I used to use on the weekend sometime just to switch up, and since I didn't need the productivity features of the Note on the weekend. But since the Gear only works with the GN3 I haven't picked up my Galaxy Nexus since Oct. 4. I just can't imagine being out without the Gear and wearing a regular watch that only tells the time.

Yeah, I wound up missing it. So I corrected the mistake.

P.S. The Gear also works with the S4. I don't think too many people know this though. The AT&T rep showed me his Gear and S4 happily paired and working. You'd think Samsung would want to publicize this.

from a Note 3

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I really like the watch as well but only interested when it is usable with other devices such as S3 & S4......I'm just waiting to see if Google is going to release their smart watch "GEM" this month which is rumored to work with most Android devices. Which makes sense....I don't understand the concept of making a smart watch that is only compatible with a single device?? You think sales would be more appealing if the watch could synch with a device of your choice.....Hopefully Google does not limit itself like Samsung, but if so I will be leaning towards upgrading to a S4 over the Moto X now that I know Nexus 5 won't be available for Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
See, their ya go......Did not know the S4 works with GG.....I mean I have no doubt that it wouldn't in the future anyways especially with 4.4 hopefully in the future which will add more smart watch features.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
...I don't understand the concept of making a smart watch that is only compatible with a single device?? You think sales would be more appealing if the watch could synch with a device....

I think it makes sense from a business perspective on Samsung's part. As an OEM that's in direct competition with Motorola, LG, Sony, or HTC they have no incentive to make a product that enables people to buy anything other than a Samsung product.

Like you I wish they would have considered making it compatible with other OEM's so people like me wouldn't be so limited in our device choices. But Samsung is banking that their smartwatch is such a superior value over the other alternatives that people will buy into their ecosystem and thus not just sell watches, but more and more smartphones along the way.

It's a gamble on Samsung's part for sure, but with their resources they are probably the only OEM that could afford such a gamble.

Sony makes a respectable smartwatch, compatible with with other Android devices, but without the resources and marketing power of Samsung the product has never, and never will, gain mainstream acceptance.

If the other OEM's could do what Samsung is doing I believe they would try it also.

Manufacturers make products, not out of the goodness of their heart, but what they believe will sell and increase their market share.

I dislike that my other devices have been rendered useless as of this point, but unless an OEM makes a smartwatch better than the Gear then I'm sticking, at least for now, with what I have.

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong...I get the concept on Samsung's side and trust me...I'm a huge supporter of Android and Google. Even though I personally have not used a Galaxy phone as a daily. I got my wife an s3 last year. And I'm heavily leaning towards updating my RAZR Maxx to an S4 though I'm still undecided about the Moto X. I'm a bells and whistle and appy type and feel the S4 might fit my likes more even though I feel the Moto X seemed a bit smoother. I think Samsung is almost trying to take the Apple approach on this Galaxy Gear and market towards their loyal supporters....Just like Apple users will get the I-Watch no matter even if a third party watch was compatible with iPhone. What's funny is Galaxy Gear got trashed in early reviews before its release like Samsung struck out with this watch. But the more I read it seems to have changed the tune of a lot of people. Same with the new Moto X phone.....I like the looks and feel of the Galaxy Gear and all what Samsung is about and more so they seem to be giving Apple a run for there money and knocking Apple off their soap box. I'm all for Galaxy Gear and Samsung and Root for them but at the end of the day its Android/Google as a whole for me. So maybe Google itself has the ability to release a watch with the funds and marketing of "Google Now" to not only hopefully work with all Android devices but also cater to their Loyal Nexus/Moto users that have "Google Now" devices.....I'm just kind of holding out to see what Google announces this month...But if Google takes same approach as a paired only device....Off to Samsung I go....Thanks for the reply!!

rafvaldemoro

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just love it. Very useful but i wished i could do a bit more with it like delete messages etc. And whatsapp messages can't be read either.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N900 mit Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My personal opinion is that it's a good idea that seems to have gone quite wrong.

It's $299, only works with a few Samsung devices and doesn't have much to justify the price, aside from the fact that it makes it MUCH EASIER to see all your notifications. Also, the battery life, while okay for a phone, is abysmal for a watch, which is understood considering how much Sammy packed into a tiny watch.

Admittedly, my favorite feature is that if you leave your phone behind, the watch reminds you to get it before it's stolen.

I like the idea, but I think I'm gonna pass until they launch a Gear 2 with better device compatibility, more features, better battery life, and, highly unlikely, a lower price tag.

This is my opinion. Yours may be different. Respect mine and I will respect yours. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE