not convinced and thinking of returning......

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
so i'm totally waffling about my gear. found myself taking it off tonight since it is uncomfortable to wear and type on my laptop and then thought, why am i trying to force myself to like or use this. i guess when it comes down to it i enjoy messing with the watch face....talking on the phone through it is ok but feel the need to keep my arm raised upwards....the notifications are ok but really not that super functional. also the size and fit are a bit problematic for me, one setting is just a tiny bit tight and the next is too floppy.

at $100 i'd probably hang onto it, but at $299......just not worth it for me, at least not yet....i don't know what they could add to it that would change my mind, but i guess i'll know it when i see it.....

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My initial feelings were mixed as well and I ended up returning it not because I didn't like it, I really did, but a bit like you I feel its priced too high for what it does and perhaps at $225 - 250 I would be more amenable. Now that said I do plan on getting one again but likely in a month or two, allowing gift cards to pay for it so I don't feel like I wasted money on something and time for Samsung to address a few quirks like notifications. I liked the idea of the pedometer but found that it was counting my wrist movements as I worked and typed and I was sitting so that is rather lame.

I think its a worthy 1.0 iteration, I think it will get better and I will get one just in a the new couple months.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My initial feelings were mixed as well and I ended up returning it not because I didn't like it, I really did, but a bit like you I feel its priced too high for what it does and perhaps at $225 - 250 I would be more amenable. Now that said I do plan on getting one again but likely in a month or two, allowing gift cards to pay for it so I don't feel like I wasted money on something and time for Samsung to address a few quirks like notifications. I liked the idea of the pedometer but found that it was counting my wrist movements as I worked and typed and I was sitting so that is rather lame.

I think its a worthy 1.0 iteration, I think it will get better and I will get one just in a the new couple months.

been reading that google is rumored to have one in the works coming soon, so i will take a look at that one. but yes, if the price drops or there are discounts offered i may try the gear again, but i wasn't $300 in love with it. i would have obsessed about it if i hadn't tried it so i'm glad i did...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I returned my second one as I just don't see the big thrill in it. I tried, twice, but twice came away feeling like it's just not worth the money. For $150-$200 maybe but is the Gear really worth more than a 32GB Nexus 7? I was also constantly worrying that I was going to somehow scratch it (and the honeymoon would definitely be over).

from my '14 Note 10.1

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad you all had buyers remorse, and the consistent theme with each of you is the price point. I do not believe the price of the gear will ever come down because I do honestly believe that in its current form it's worth $300.

However, where I do have respect for each of you is that you at least purchased it with your own money and gave it a fair assessment. It just appears to not meet your expectations for what a $300 watch should function like. I would be interested to see what you believe a $300 watch should function like, and if the next generation of the galaxy gear will change your opinion.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My expectations on the future smart watches would be. ....
1. It should be able to accept my SIM card from my phone so it can function independently also.

2. Water proof and shock resistant.

Basically when I am playing sports or exersizing or have no pockets to carry my smart phone like at the beach or swimming pool I will still be able to receive text email and phone calls

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's too bad you all had buyers remorse, and the consistent theme with each of you is the price point. I do not believe the price of the gear will ever come down because I do honestly believe that in its current form it's worth $300.

However, where I do have respect for each of you is that you at least purchased it with your own money and gave it a fair assessment. It just appears to not meet your expectations for what a $300 watch should function like. I would be interested to see what you believe a $300 watch should function like, and if the next generation of the galaxy gear will change your opinion.

For me having a watch to get notifications from my phone was just a luxury that I realized isn't all that useful because my phone is never that far away. Had the watch band perhaps been metal and the watch waterproof I might have felt better about it. I guess if it had been a bit more durable with greater bluetooth range or even the ability to use WiFi to extend it's range to 30' through floorboards/walls would be nice. However, it's not a bad device and I'm glad I really tried it.

from my '14 Note 10.1

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

so i'm totally waffling about my gear. found myself taking it off tonight since it is uncomfortable to wear and type on my laptop and then thought, why am i trying to force myself to like or use this. i guess when it comes down to it i enjoy messing with the watch face....talking on the phone through it is ok but feel the need to keep my arm raised upwards....the notifications are ok but really not that super functional. also the size and fit are a bit problematic for me, one setting is just a tiny bit tight and the next is too floppy.

at $100 i'd probably hang onto it, but at $299......just not worth it for me, at least not yet....i don't know what they could add to it that would change my mind, but i guess i'll know it when i see it.....

A lot of us Gear owners ONLY paied $209+tax for our Galaxy Gear.. That right there was a game-changer for a lot of us..I might would have hesitated if I had to bite the full $299+tax..

So, right now, I have a $209 watch, which allerts me when I get calls, and messages, and if push gets to a shove, in a clinch, I can make or answer a call with it. I prefer to use my handset. But, I recall once my son called me while I was commuting on my bicycle. I saw the call come in...as it flashed on my wrist. I pulled over, tapped the home button twice to bring up S Voice, and said "Call Chris"..Bang! The next thing I heard, the phone was saying in its mechanical voice, "calling chris".. He answered, I told him I was en route on my bicycle and will call back when I get home..The note 3 was safely in my backpack, and no way, if I even knew a call was coming in, I was going to take off that backpack and dig down and pull out my phone. Instead, I just stopped, double tap, and called out. Real slick. and adding that this only cost me $222 including tax...I am a happy camper. Only thing that bugs me is that, I don't wear my chronograph watch anymore.. :D

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I returned my second one as I just don't see the big thrill in it. I tried, twice, but twice came away feeling like it's just not worth the money. For $150-$200 maybe but is the Gear really worth more than a 32GB Nexus 7? I was also constantly worrying that I was going to somehow scratch it (and the honeymoon would definitely be over).

from my '14 Note 10.1

With that in mind, I purchased two different sets of screen protectors for the Gear. Not only that, I have banged it a couple times, and the metal part is really almost scratch resistant. Plus, they are still going for more than MSRP on ebay..

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
My expectations on the future smart watches would be. ....
1. It should be able to accept my SIM card from my phone so it can function independently also.

2. Water proof and shock resistant.

Basically when I am playing sports or exersizing or have no pockets to carry my smart phone like at the beach or swimming pool I will still be able to receive text email and phone calls

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

IMO, to have those features, I am sure the price will be easily double of what the Gear is selling for now.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am so blown away. $300 doesn't even begin to buy a nice watch.
If you don't already wear a watch I wouldn't go near the gear. I think you will spend most of the time wondering why you spent $300 when you could just look at your phone.
I can't wait for my Note 2 to get upgraded just to buy the watch!
It's just a watch that does some really cool stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
In the end I guess it's what people are willing to pay for convenience and features.

My wife even thinks owning a smartphone is a dumb idea :)

She has an old flip phone and is perfectly happy. As strange as it sounds she has never even sent an email on a phone or the computer. It's just not her thing. So from her perspective if someone spent more than $50 on technology they have serious mental issues.

However, I am an early adopter of all sorts of technology. I recall spending $600 to own one of the first dvd players when they first came out and we're replacing vhs. By today's standard that's crazy, but if us early adopters didn't take a chance who would?

Anyway, to each his own. I own a Movado watch which cost me over $1000 with tax, and all it does is look nice and shows me the time. For $300 I have a watch that actually does something. In my book that's a bargain.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I am so blown away. $300 doesn't even begin to buy a nice watch.
If you don't already wear a watch I wouldn't go near the gear. I think you will spend most of the time wondering why you spent $300 when you could just look at your phone.
I can't wait for my Note 2 to get upgraded just to buy the watch!
It's just a watch that does some really cool stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

I wasn't a watch wearer, but I enjoy wearing the Gear. I think that my phone obsession plays a large part in this, though.

In the end I guess it's what people are willing to pay for convenience and features.

My wife even thinks owning a smartphone is a dumb idea :)

She has an old flip phone and is perfectly happy. As strange as it sounds she has never even sent an email on a phone or the computer. It's just not her thing. So from her perspective if someone spent more than $50 on technology they have serious mental issues.

However, I am an early adopter of all sorts of technology. I recall spending $600 to own one of the first dvd players when they first came out and we're replacing vhs. By today's standard that's crazy, but if us early adopters didn't take a chance who would?

Anyway, to each his own. I own a Movado watch which cost me over $1000 with tax, and all it does is look nice and shows me the time. For $300 I have a watch that actually does something. In my book that's a bargain.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Your wife doesn't believe in spending money on technology the same way that I don't believe in spending money on televisions. My goal was to get through life without spending over $99 on a television. I've been debating a change to this philosophy for close to a year now and still can't pull the trigger. I don't think that people who buy nice televisions are crazy, though. Everyone in the US has his/her own area that he/she likes to spend money in. For some it's clothes while others like cars or technology. To each his/her own, as long as it doesn't drive you into debt.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I would like to see a price drop, but at $300 its not a bad purchase but it is one I can wait a few months on.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Compare it to the Omate TrueSmart which is $199-299 and is completely waterproof, capable of 3G GSM voice as a standalone device and has a saphire crystal face. So from a price point and feature position they can do it so why couldn't Samsung with far more money and abilities.

That said if I could have gotten it at $209+tax I would be thrilled but that ship has sailed so I will simply wait a bit and get one.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
$300 is not much at all to spend on something I think provides consistent value, enjoyment, durability, and/or style. Somehow, the Gear just didn't meet this criteria for me. Perhaps it just showed me that I don't value what today's smartwatches offer more than my traditional timepieces.

Nexus 7

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think its worth $300, I just wish it was cheaper. I will get another unit in a couple of months but I will just wait for my rewards points to do so, no sense in spending my cash when I can spends rewards instead.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any old phones or devices to sell? That would help bring the price down.
Best Buy seems to offer more money for your devices. They offered me enough for my Note 2 to almost cover they cost of the Galaxy gear.
I haven't bought it yet, still thinking about it.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any old phones or devices to sell? That would help bring the price down.
Best Buy seems to offer more money for your devices. They offered me enough for my Note 2 to almost cover they cost of the Galaxy gear.
I haven't bought it yet, still thinking about it.

+1. Sold my S4 to Gazelle.com for $250 so that lessened the blow of having to spend $300 for the Gear

Posted via Android Central App