Galaxy Gear not locking Note 3

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Device: Samsung Galaxy Gear paired with Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I am receiving notifications on the Gear from the Note, so I know it is connected.

I have turned Auto Lock on. When I did this, it asked me for a new unlock pattern and backup PIN, which I gave. Now, when I hold the Note 3, it has reverted to just "swipe to unlock". However, when put the watch down on the table and walk away (5 metres, ten meters), the Note 3 doesn't lock.

Below is a Screen shot from Note 3 showing: Gear Manager > Settings > Auto lock turned on.

GearSettings.jpg

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Device: Samsung Galaxy Gear paired with Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I am receiving notifications on the Gear from the Note, so I know it is connected.

I have turned Auto Lock on. When I did this, it asked me for a new unlock pattern and backup PIN, which I gave. Now, when I hold the Note 3, it has reverted to just "swipe to unlock". However, when put the watch down on the table and walk away (5 metres, ten meters), the Note 3 doesn't lock.

Below is a Screen shot from Note 3 showing: Gear Manager > Settings > Auto lock turned on.

View attachment 90024

I didn't see this thread before replying to this same question in another. However, my suggestion it appears you have already done so disregard my other post.

If I find a solution for you I'll post here.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

alp1917

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It will not lock as long as the watch and phone are within Bluetooth range of each other it locks it when you're out of range

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
OK, this is what I have found so far.

It isn't locking exactly i.e. when the watch is out of range, it doesn't automatically lock the phone - if the screen was active, it stays active until it times out normally. But when I try to open the device, I need to use the secure method to open the device. And when I bring the watch back into range, I can just swipe to open it.

Is my expectation off here? I thought it would lock the device when I go out of range.

Rob
:)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, this is what I have found so far.

It isn't locking exactly i.e. when the watch is out of range, it doesn't automatically lock the phone - if the screen was active, it stays active until it times out normally. But when I try to open the device, I need to use the secure method to open the device. And when I bring the watch back into range, I can just swipe to open it.

Is my expectation off here? I thought it would lock the device when I go out of range.

Rob
:)

Actually, it is locking the device, albeit not instantly. If you walk away, you receive a buzz on your wrist letting you know you're out of range.

Ideally the user would have one of those "ah hah" moments and realize they have walked away leaving their phone behind and go back to retrieve it (it's happened to me twice and has really been useful).

However, if the alert is ignorged, or not noticed, when phones display times out, no one else would be able to pick it up and use it since they would need to know whatever security measure you've selected.

When the phone detects the Gear back in range again then a simple swipe is all that's needed to get up and running again.

Personally, I don't use a lock screen at all. So I have this feature unchecked. But having the ability to be notified when I walk away and forget my phone is sufficient for my use. I also like the way the GN3, and 10.1 2014 do the same thing with respect to the s-pen.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
On the watch, I see settings > Bluetooth > Visibility: disabled. Could this setting be related? I cannot activate the setting an don't see it in Gear Manager on the phone either.

Posted via Android Central App

jaytom

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I started troubleshooting this issue today... Try this.

1. Turn off the auto lock feature in your galaxy gear settings
2. Turn off any lock screen passwords. (when you unlock your phone you shouldn't have a password)
3. Restart phone. (You shouldn't have to put a password in to unlock your phone)
4. Go to your galaxy gear settings and enable the auto lock. Go through the steps to setup your password...
5. Now test... Turn off your galaxy gear. The phone should lock with password.

Now I want to see if you have the same issue I have. After doing this, go to use your phone with the galaxy gear turned on and on your wrist. It doesn't always unlock it for you? Try moving the phone right above the galaxy gear... Does it unlock it? Seems like a perimeter issue maybe? That is where I am at with troubleshooting. Still working at it though. This seem to fix the problem where it never locked when my Galaxy gear was away. But now I have a small issue with the 5feet rule. Sometimes I have to put the phone right next the gear on my wrist to have it auto unlock. Thought I would share and see what you guys get.

Last edited:

Mark Motayne

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have this same issue with my GS3. The watch only seems to unlock the phone when its directly below the phone... I thought it was only when the bluetooth signals lost sync...

Susido

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Also have a GS3 and I have to just about touch it to my Gear before it unlocks. I also thought a BT connection should be all that's required for it to be unlocked.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone already has a pin imposed by work email so I cannot shut off pin. I actually prefer pin to gesture anyway. Does this mean I cannot use the autolock function?

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My phone already has a pin imposed by work email so I cannot shut off pin. I actually prefer pin to gesture anyway. Does this mean I cannot use the autolock function?

Well the auto lock is redundant in your situation because it can only be opened with a PIN.

This is assuming you have a screen timeout though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I often use wakey which prevents screen time out. Trouble is it sounds like a thief could walk away out of range and do a system reset without auto lock preventing it.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

robertmarkbram

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I often use wakey which prevents screen time out. Trouble is it sounds like a thief could walk away out of range and do a system reset without auto lock preventing it.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

That's pretty much why I haven't tried to stop screen resets.. even though it is occasionally anything when I am reading.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app