Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch - Notifications are down (SMS wise)

Mokics

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Gear yesterday, and discovered that the notifications system wasn't working for me. I spent an hour on live chat w/ samsung (no luck), then another 30 mins on Samsung call support with no luck as well, but also kinda discovered something.

So since no notifications were working and all the settings are set correctly (NFC, notifications on in the gear manager with the apps i want, SMS having notifications also...etc) I went into the archive app on the gear and saw Gmail. I clicked it, did the loading thing, sent a test email and now the gear is picking up emails.

But my issue is mainly texts, that's what I really want to get...lol. Samsung 'higher tier support' claims that notifications for SMS are not working for a lot of people right now, but I don't believe that since I got emails to finally go through.

Question is, how do I get SMS' to start coming to the gear? It's the only thing that's not really sending me notify's to my gear. I was able to get calls, contacts, call history, emails, calender events and some others, just not texts...and I was using 3rd party apps, which I completely uninstalled as well to see if the standard samsung apps would fix it, but it didn't.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 with the new update for the gear. Everything is up to date (from what I checked).

Any help would be great :D Thanks!

Mokics

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
try turning on "auto lock" on your GG and set your timeout on your phone to be lower.

Where is 'auto lock' on the GG, I can't seem to find it??

When I'm in security, it doesn't show that option or anything like that.

I found 'auto-lock' on my S4, which i turned on now also.

Mokics

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Whatever I changed did NOT have any effect because I just got three new text messages and none of them came to the Gear, but I got a new gmail, and THAT came to the gear.

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Whatever I changed did NOT have any effect because I just got three new text messages and none of them came to the Gear, but I got a new gmail, and THAT came to the gear.

Autolock is in settings on the S4 Gear Manager. Also make sure that messaging notification is turned on. In settings on your S4 goto screen lock and set to lock automaticaly for something short (I did 15 seconds). try all that

stylebygrace

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem. I went to my lock screen options and had 'none' for my settings. I change my setting to swipe and it completely fixed the problem. For whatever reason if none is your setting it interferes with notifications. Very strange hope this helps! Very frustrating when you can't figure things out!

Posted via Android Central App

Mokics

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, fixed it.

Basically did what you said, but also had to change some of my 3rd party settings as well. It's honestly really weird how it's working now with what I had to change to do it, but it's doing what I need it to, thanks!

stylebygrace

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Glad it's working for you! These things can be so frustrating sometimes! It was about to drive me crazy but am happy now. ... At least till the next challenge!
Many blessings!

Posted via Android Central App

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For those of you that are having trouble with your GG, I think that you all should visit your local Best Buy to see the Samsung rep there. They are specialized (suppose to anyways) in diagnosing and helping you with you Samsung device needs.

batman13

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I was also having trouble with my Gear not receiving text messages but email was coming in with no problem. What I had to do was to change the screen timeout from 30 seconds to 15 seconds. I already had the lock screen to swipe so I left it at that. I'm now receiving text messages with no more problems.

cspinoso

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened on my Note 3. Changed the Lock Screen setting on my phone to 'Swipe" from "None" and it worked perfectly. I think the issue is that if the Lock Screen is set to None - then the phone turns 'ON' when the notification arrives. and if the phone is on, the notification doesn't show up on the Gear.

Tyler Lendo

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Which third party apps were you using? I was using Nova Launcher, Nils Notification and Widget locker. I was on the line with Samsung support for three days and went to Verizon twice with no luck. I finally factory reset my device and it started to work. I re-added my apps and it seemed to still work. I woke up this morning and texts were not going through. I hope to have this resolved soon. Any advice would help.

redfam60

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I too am having this text message problem. My texts r not going through. Guess I will have to go to best buy but hate standing in line and it is not close. Tried the other ideas listed here but doesn't seem to work I hate to reset it. Any other ideas?

DavidHayter

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
The screen on the phone has to be off as what would be the point of getting a message while your phones screen is on. At least this is what worked for me lmao Good luck peeps.

subscribe_nitin

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I had same issue with my Galaxy Gear (base version).
I went ahead and changed some settings in my S3 and here are those for you to try:
Settings > Security > Notification Access > check ON Gear Manager
This should resolve your problem too.