Anybody compare the GG to the Pebble?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that Amazon has the Pebble on sale for $120. Has anyone tried that device and compared it to the Galaxy Gear? If so, what was the conclusion and why?

Thanks

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Pebble for 8 months or so and owned a Gear for about three days. Long story short if you're looking for basic notifications (email/text/calendar/etc) on a watch the Pebble does it in a simpler and more reliable way. If you're looking for features (camera, calling, apps, etc) the Gear has a leg up. The Pebble is one of those things that does one thing pretty well. The Gear is more like a thing that tries to do a lot, and the result range from bad to passible. The Gear will hopefully get better over time as software updates roll out, but the current firmware update situation drove me to return it along with certain physical characteristics software couldn't help.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Now that I have used this product for a week, I using it primarily for notifications and to adjust the volume and tracks on my media player. The part that irks me the most about the Galaxy Gear is that when you go outside to direct sunlight, you cannot see the display or you have to have the display on the maximum brightness to notice it. The S voice is pretty cool and the taking and receiving calls is a pretty nice integration. I do not see the real benefit of the camera though. The charge cradle is awkward also. I do not see much value in the apps that they currently have either.

I've had a Pebble for 8 months or so and owned a Gear for about three days. Long story short if you're looking for basic notifications (email/text/calendar/etc) on a watch the Pebble does it in a simpler and more reliable way. If you're looking for features (camera, calling, apps, etc) the Gear has a leg up. The Pebble is one of those things that does one thing pretty well. The Gear is more like a thing that tries to do a lot, and the result range from bad to passible. The Gear will hopefully get better over time as software updates roll out, but the current firmware update situation drove me to return it along with certain physical characteristics software couldn't help.

nfectgotan

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Pebble which led me to buying this. The pebble is an awesome watch, just too low tech for my taste. The e-paper screen left me a lot to desire its like going from a galaxy s4 to a gameboy it just wasn't my cup of tea. It has many more apps, and work just as good if not better then the Gear. It's biggest turn off was practically everything not software related. I didn't feel like I made a big leap to the future until I got my gear. I don't regret paying the extra 150 for it. My gear makes me feel like i'm in the 22nd century. I was talking with my girlfriend recently, and it just doesn't seem like I should be able to talk to my wrist already, that technology even with my gear currently on, still feels like its about 6 years from now, like its 2020 technology. I love it, I can't say you will but it does everything I want and need it to do, and with the MK7 update with increased notifications, I find myself using my phone much less then before the update.

nfectgotan

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
you cannot see the display or you have to have the display on the maximum brightness to notice it. The S voice is pretty cool and the taking and receiving calls is a pretty nice integration.

Not sure how well it works for you or how your vision stacks up against mine, if you hold the button on the side of the gear you can quickly switch it to outdoor mode which highlights the area you need to see. You can do same to switch back when you are indoors. The camera I find myself only using when I tell myself too but I also don't know a reason to use it just yet except if I want to record something I didnt have time to get my phone out for.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I will try that. This was really bothering me yesterday when I was outside and in the sun. It would be cool if it had a photochromatic sensor on it to detect light and illuminate accordingly. I was thinking of just having it on outdoor mode only since when I go to charge it, I still have a lot of battery life left.

Not sure how well it works for you or how your vision stacks up against mine, if you hold the button on the side of the gear you can quickly switch it to outdoor mode which highlights the area you need to see. You can do same to switch back when you are indoors. The camera I find myself only using when I tell myself too but I also don't know a reason to use it just yet except if I want to record something I didnt have time to get my phone out for.

scann1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I just received the galaxy gear OTA update last night. My carrier is with t-mobile I live in Dallas Texas. I notice after my galaxy note 3 push the update to the gear and than the gear rebooted with the update, the developers USB option was missing. It's located under settings, gear info. I remembered that when I first got my galaxy note 3 that the developers debug option was missing, in order to get into the debug option on the phone I had to tap the build number 7 times to get the developers option mode. I tried the same with the gear watch except it's the serial number that has to be tapped 7 times on the watch which is located under gear info. The update is supposed to optimize the gear's battery life, I notice that when I get a phone call that the blue tooth headset is now on the main screen instead of the pull down menu and you can read partial notification email messages without having to pull out your phone. Also, the update is suppose to extend the range the gear is from the phone. Good job samsung!

Posted via Android Central App

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a Pebble for about a week, was defective out of the box - Pebble support didn't get back to me about it, so after a week, I sent it back.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You're doing something wrong or you have a defective watch. Everyone else in here gets at least a full day from the gear

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Lasts a whole day?! You say that like it has deep meaning:D

I really don't get this. Is charging it once a day really so difficult? I mean, I know it's a lot of effort to slide it off your wrist, place it in the guy, and insert the plug into an outlet. You're charging your phone every night anyway, right?

Maybe I'm the only one who has figured out you can just pop it on the charger at night while you're sleeping, you know, just like you do with your phone. I should probably share this in the tips and tricks thread.

WinePress

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
How are some people getting such bad battery life on their Gear?

After a 10 Hour work day I have from 90% to 88% left on my Gear, most of the time I power it off when I get home from work and I only have to charge it once a week since the latest update.
Also I have no problems seeing the watch face in direct sunlight outdoors on brightness setting 5.
I never have to put it on outdoor setting and I am currently working abroad in a hot country in south east asia where the sun is very bright.

I work 9am - 7pm, it is now 3:10 pm and my Gear is at 98% still after booting it up at 8 a.m in the morning.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I really don't get this. Is charging it once a day really so difficult? I mean, I know it's a lot of effort to slide it off your wrist, place it in the guy, and insert the plug into an outlet. You're charging your phone every night anyway, right?

Maybe I'm the only one who has figured out you can just pop it on the charger at night while you're sleeping, you know, just like you do with your phone. I should probably share this in the tips and tricks thread.

I don't have a dog in this fight, meaning I don't own the watch, but if your competitor who is more or less a startup with funding from Kickstarter gets 5-7 days on battery life and your product barely gets a day, it matters.

Would you buy a phone that only gets 2-3 hrs per day vs another that gets an entire day??

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a dog in this fight, meaning I don't own the watch, but if your competitor who is more or less a startup with funding from Kickstarter gets 5-7 days on battery life and your product barely gets a day, it matters.

Would you buy a phone that only gets 2-3 hrs per day vs another that gets an entire day??

I see what you're trying to do here, but your comparison makes no sense. Why ask about a hypothetical, unrealistic situation when we already have the facts?

For me, and I'm guessing the majority, as long as my gear gets me through the day I'm good with that. Most of the time I'm between 30-40% remaining when I throw it on the charger. You have to charge both devices right? So for the extremely minimal effort required, what difference does it make if you do it twice a week or seven times a week?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the GG but I have tried it, just didn't want to spend the money on it at that time so returned it.

I loved that darn thing!
It's very useful, the person trashing it because the battery I guess hasn't try one yet.
In any case, what matters is what you get out of the watch during the time you use it. If the pebble lasts longer but fails to give me the functionality the GG gives me, I'll take the GG any day.
Who cares if I have to charge it every day or once a week or twice a week (mileage may vary).

Just my 2 cents.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon