Galaxy Gear US Firmware Update!

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. Can't get the OTA because of max number of users, so I installed Kies (not Kies 3) because I'm using my work Mac (instead of home PC) and it says no firmware updates to install. I'm on T-Mobile S4, but my Gear was bought at Best Buy.

Beyond just launching Kies and plugging in the USB to the phonoe, is there anything else that has to be done to initiate the update.

Yes, You have to plug in the GG not your phone........... You should see the update available once you plug in the watch not the phone.

Note: You have to be at least 70% charged on the watch or it will give you a error msg........ also make sure to use kies not keis 3. Keis 3 will not recognize the GG.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, You have to plug in the GG not your phone........... You should see the update available once you plug in the watch not the phone.

Note: You have to be at least 70% charged on the watch or it will give you a error msg........ also make sure to use kies not keis 3. Keis 3 will not recognize the GG.

Okay, I feel like an *****! Before seeing your reply, I thought about doing what you suggested and dismissed it, but then read your reply and thought I'd give it a try and it worked immediately. Thanks for this!

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Is any one getting G-mail notifications after doing the update??? G-mail is all I use for E-mail i am not getting any G-mail notifications at all after the update.

I am on the phone with Samsung right now & they are saying it is a known Problem!!!!!!!

Please Help!!

Last edited:

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Just updated through Kies. I downloaded Kies on my computer, then connected my Gear with USB. After the normal driver installations and things, Kies recognized the gear. It then stated a firmware update was available. The update took about 10-15 minutes. Can now actually read emails on the gear!!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

I got the update and am not receiving any G-mail notifications at all now.... I do not see any options for G-mail at all now in my gear app on the phone. or options on the watch. Can you help?

Update:Resolved problem after uninstalling & re installing gear manager app....

Last edited:

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Galaxy gear manager app on your phone. Tap notification . Below the bottom of the list of programs you'll see.'more notifications', tap that and you'll find Gmail and every other app you have installed on your phone. Enjoy!

Posted via Android Central App

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Galaxy gear manager app on your phone. Tap notification . Below the bottom of the list of programs you'll see.'more notifications', tap that and you'll find Gmail and every other app you have installed on your phone. Enjoy!

Posted via Android Central App

I had to uninstall & re install the gear manager app on my phone to get that option, But it works now with the new & improved notifications.....

Thank You!!

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You are welcome. Having the new features really makes the gear worth it's price.

Totally agree. Having these notifications has totally changed my use of the Watch. I really am now not having to pick up my phone b/c I am seeing the notifications.

The funny thing now is that I need to evaluate whether I really need all of these notificationa, lol. Have to decide which ones are necessary. One feature request, which I had on my Sony Smartwatch is that you should be able to indicate for which accounts in Google to get notified for. I have one account that gets a lot of marketing junk and I definitely don't need to get those notifications.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I am really enjoying all the new notifications, but for some reason I seem to have lost the ability to get notifications from the Samsung SMS & email apps? SMS & email apps are not listed in the new notifications listing with all the other options? Any one having the same issue and has figured out the solution would really be appreciated.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the Gear. But I just want to double check with you guys first before I pull the trigger.

The only notifications I care about are from 3 apps -- Hangouts, Gmail, and my work email (which uses the default email app on my Note II) . If I get notifications from any of those 3 apps, will I be able to read the entire message in the body on the Gear? Or just part of it? Or just the subject title?

If I can read the entire body from all three of those apps on the Gear itself, I'm definitely getting it this weekend. If not, I'll wait a little bit longer in hopes it will be possible in the next major update.

Thanks in advance.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about grabbing one of these for my wife for Christmas. She has a Verizon S3. My main questions:

1) Did this update noticeably improve battery life at all?

2) I read somewhere that if you are out of range of your phone that the watch doesn't even show the time. Is that true?

3) What is the range for this device? Again, she'll be using the Galaxy S3. This update also improved range I think, right? How's it now?

4) What happens if you have your watch on and you leave your phone at home? (eg. if you are WAY out of range) I'm assuming that "find my phone" feature then doesn't register at all?

5) I know this has "some" water protection, from what I've read, basically against splattering, etc. Should she take it off to do basic things like washing dishes where your hands get wet but you aren't exactly submerging your whole wrist in water?

Thanks!!!!

nfectgotan

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about grabbing one of these for my wife for Christmas. She has a Verizon S3. My main questions:

1) Did this update noticeably improve battery life at all?

2) I read somewhere that if you are out of range of your phone that the watch doesn't even show the time. Is that true?

3) What is the range for this device? Again, she'll be using the Galaxy S3. This update also improved range I think, right? How's it now?

4) What happens if you have your watch on and you leave your phone at home? (eg. if you are WAY out of range) I'm assuming that "find my phone" feature then doesn't register at all?

5) I know this has "some" water protection, from what I've read, basically against splattering, etc. Should she take it off to do basic things like washing dishes where your hands get wet but you aren't exactly submerging your whole wrist in water?

Thanks!!!!

1) Yes it does
2) That is not true
3) Range is debatable. I can go down stairs in my house and into the garage before it disconnects. I would call it above average.
4) Find my feature doesn't do anything if you are out of range of the watch/phone
5)I would treat this watch the same as if it was a $3000 rolex. Even if my rolex was water proof I wouldn't wear it doing certain things like washing dishes or using the bathroom or sleeping. Thats just me. I wipe right handed and I wear my watch on the right so to prevent it from touching the toilet I won't wear it. Also I just wouldn't wear it to bed thats just me though.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that response! Glad to know you wipe right handed. ;) Point taken though...

Nice to hear the watch DOES work when out of range. So what all works when you are out of range?

Any leaks about possible wireless charging or other methods of charging this device yet?

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I wipe right handed and I wear my watch on the right so to prevent it from touching the toilet I won't wear it. Also I just wouldn't wear it to bed thats just me though.

Why do you wear your watch on your right hand?? My dad taught me that my watch goes on my left and wallet on the right.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why since I updated the firmware I have lost the ability to sync text messages and email using the native app? Please someone, help me.

They are not even listed as an option to choose from?

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Be sure your phone screen is locked. I had to use the pattern lock for it to work, as the pin I used previously wouldn't allow text notification on the watch. I didn't try the password option so I don't know if it will work.

I just don't understand why since I updated the firmware I have lost the ability to sync text messages and email using the native app? Please someone, help me.

They are not even listed as an option to choose from?

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

benhath

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to delete a "Missed Call" notification with the new firmware? I have turned that feature off for now. Whenever I press Notifications, it appears and there is no option to delete it that I can find. Reviewing the log does not do it, either, nor does deleting the log on the phone.

Thanks

Last edited: