Galaxy Gear US Firmware Update!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Be sure your phone screen is locked. I had to use the pattern lock for it to work, as the pin I used previously wouldn't allow text notification on the watch. I didn't try the password option so I don't know if it will work.

Thank you for the response.

I have no idea what I did, but both the text and email are again displaying notifications on my Gear.

What I don't understand is why these two apps are not listed in the notifications section of the Gear Manager?

By the way, mine is working without using the lock screen. I don't like using any type of lock screen, and if I was forced to do so it would not be a deal breaker by any stretch, but I would have been disappointed.

Thanks for the response, and willingness to help. All is well with me and my amazing GG once again. 😊

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I had to come back and let you know that I finally figured out the problem I was having.

Because I do not use a lock screen I have always installed and used a third party app titled Application Protection. I use this app as a defense to protect my financial apps, Google Drive, Dropbox, and other apps from easy access.

In the notifications shade I had turned it off because I didn't want it cluttering up the notifications area. Well, apparently that affected the Gear Manager's ability to show the native messaging and email apps as an option to choose from and thus they did not work on the Gear.

After allowing Application Protection to constantly display in the notifications shade, all app options are available for selection.

I still don't like the way the notifications shade is cluttered with "ongoing" apps (including the Gear Manager), but it appears to be a necessary evil for certain apps to work right.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow...
I just rooted and install UK version last night and been enjoying all the benefits of all of my notification on my Gear today. Now its finally out for the US today and yall guys are going to enjoy it!! LOL...I was just to post that I'm loving the Gear even more with the UK firmware but no need now.:)

scann1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I just received the galaxy gear OTA update last night. My carrier is with t-mobile I live in Dallas Texas. I notice after my galaxy note 3 push the update to the gear and than the gear rebooted with the update, the developers USB option was missing. It's located under settings, gear info. I remembered that when I first got my galaxy note 3 that the developers debug option was missing, in order to get into the debug option on the phone I had to tap the build number 7 times to get the developers option mode. I tried the same with the gear watch except it's the serial number that has to be tapped 7 times on the watch which is located under gear info. The update is supposed to optimize the gear's battery life, I notice that when I get a phone call that the blue tooth headset is now on the main screen instead of the pull down menu and you can read partial notification email messages without having to pull out your phone. Also, the update is suppose to extend the range the gear is from the phone. Good job samsung!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I got the same message about Kies after updating. I started Kies 3 and it caught the gear immediately.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
USA user here... Received my firmware update this morning! Glad I waited instead of sideloading.

Why? Side loaders get the same update the same way you did, we just didn't suffer ad long.

That's line saying you are glad you got sick with the flu for a month rather than getting a flu shot and avoiding it altogether. What a dumb thing to say.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that response! Glad to know you wipe right handed. ;) Point taken though...

Nice to hear the watch DOES work when out of range. So what all works when you are out of range?

Any leaks about possible wireless charging or other methods of charging this device yet?

Yup, that right hand wipe was really a light hearted funny and very true point!! :D I also wipe right handed, but I wear my gear on my left arm!! :D

On the charging, just want to add that thing thing charges SUPER FAST..Something like 30 minutes and she is fully charge. With the fast charging, IMO, other methods might not be needed.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
On the charging, just want to add that thing thing charges SUPER FAST..Something like 30 minutes and she is fully charge. With the fast charging, IMO, other methods might not be needed.

30 mins for only a day of use. The next Gear needs to step up on the battery life.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
30 mins for only a day of use. The next Gear needs to step up on the battery life.

I really don't see what is so wrong with battery life? With a device that is pushing out notifications all day from a variety of sources, on a full color display, with a camera and video recorder, along with the ability to make a receive phone calls, what more do you want?

It takes little to no effort to slap the device on a charger each evening just like I do my phone, and I'm off and functional all day. I remove the Gear and Note 3 from the charger at 4:10 a.m. to go running, a full day at the office, and then back at home with the kiddos and my wife. By the time I go to bed at or about 10:00 p.m. or 10:30 the Note has about 20% of juice left, and the Gear about 55%. I wouldn't say that's bad battery life.

Michael Lynady

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
People just need to find something to ***** about-if the screen was half as nice with 4 days of battery, people would say they wish it had an amoled display with less battery life-human nature I guess

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Compared to what? What other device fully charges in 30 minutes and gives back a day of email/text notifications (50-70 per hour in my case) plus customizable clock faces, full BT speakerphone functionality, full media control of tethered phone, etc?

Please show us your comparison reference. Go ahead......waiting.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The only update I want is one that lets me see the ENTIRE email. My work emails have long intros so I never get to see the body of the message.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Compared to what? What other device fully charges in 30 minutes and gives back a day of email/text notifications (50-70 per hour in my case) plus customizable clock faces, full BT speakerphone functionality, full media control of tethered phone, etc?

Totally agree with you. I had the Sony Smartwatch (release 1) and it didnt have any of the phone capabilities, poor screen, and no camera and it barely got a day in battery life. I do fault Samsung for not getting the full notification feature available for the initial release. I'm sure they thought they could get to it shortly after the initial launch, but that error likely cost them a lot of returns and lost sales. Everyone who sees mine and asks about it really likes it... with the only complaint being the price which I agree is about $100 to high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't have a smartwatch but I'm comparing it to the Martian Passport watch. It has a speakerphone. Full notifications. Not sure on the media controls. But I love the classic watch face it has. And it has better battery life.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone who sees mine and asks about it really likes it... with the only complaint being the price which I agree is about $100 to high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% on the price. If they spent less time and money on stupid "Rapey-Jack" commercials and more time making a great product at a great price and letting the people sell the device then more people would get on with the Gear.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see what is so wrong with battery life? With a device that is pushing out notifications all day from a variety of sources, on a full color display, with a camera and video recorder, along with the ability to make a receive phone calls, what more do you want?

It takes little to no effort to slap the device on a charger each evening just like I do my phone, and I'm off and functional all day. I remove the Gear and Note 3 from the charger at 4:10 a.m. to go running, a full day at the office, and then back at home with the kiddos and my wife. By the time I go to bed at or about 10:00 p.m. or 10:30 the Note has about 20% of juice left, and the Gear about 55%. I wouldn't say that's bad battery life.

That's great for you. That's decent battery life. It just sucks to have one more device to charge at night. I either need to get a dual USB charger or move my tablet to charge the Gear. And I also feel like battery life is dependent on how many notifications you get in a day. I have my work and personal email blazing all day. Plus texts. Facebook. Twitter. I can't really say if it's gonna last all day for me since I haven't used it. I just have more faith in the Pebble and Martian watches in regards to battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2