Galaxy Gear Notifications: Limited choices, why?

gearjohn

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Newbie to the board but I have a question that is driving me crazy and who better to ask than the experts around here. Here's my secs:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T
Software: Android 4.3

Galaxy Gear watch software version:JDQ39. V700XXUAMII
Gear Manager software version: 1.5.120903 (latest one)

Supposedly this new version of Gear Manager allows you to get notifications from virtually any app you chose, yet in my Gear Manager only shows notifications for the following third party apps:

Facebook
Gmail
Google now/+
Hangouts

I would love to get notifications from my other apps like Viber, Whatsapp, Tango etc....but those choices are not available to me and I can't understand why....any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge the product was announced in September and rolled out in late September. So, its only been about 2 1/2 months. We are all early adopters.

gearjohn

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I think I know the answer to my question. It seems that I not only need the new version of Gear Manager for expanded notifications to work, I also need a newer version of the of Gear firmware which not everybody has (they call it MK7). Can you please confirm this is correct?...

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you need the MK7 update on the GG as well as the updated GG Manager app.in order to get the expanded updates. At this point the only way to get the update for the GG is to flash the firmware on the GG using Odin and the UK firmware MK7.

Charles

Posted via Android Central App

gearjohn

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you need the MK7 update on the GG as well as the updated GG Manager app.in order to get the expanded updates. At this point the only way to get the update for the GG is to flash the firmware on the GG using Odin and the UK firmware MK7.

Charles

Thanks for the confirmation Charles. I guess I will impatiently wait for the MK7 update to be available for my GG. I don't want to mess with rooting the watch and flashing the ROM. Thanks again!

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
No problem John. You don't have to root the GG to update the firmware. It's a simple process and well worth the effort.

Charles

evilgenyus

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Will there be any adverse effects of installing the UK firmware? And will I will able to install the US firmware when it's released? Thanks for any input

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk