Galaxy Gear Smartwatch - Cant see Handcent Text Messages

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Picked up a GG on the $199 eBay deal. Figured I'd give it a try ... All the the notifications seem to work except being able to read text messages from Handcent ... All it says is "New message received". I have no way to read it on the watch and only have an option to View on Phone ... The watch and Gear Manager are both updated to the latest versions. What am I missing here? Thanks! :confused:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Picked up a GG on the $199 eBay deal. Figured I'd give it a try ... All the the notifications seem to work except being able to read text messages from Handcent ... All it says is "New message received". I have no way to read it on the watch and only have an option to View on Phone ... The watch and Gear Manager are both updated to the latest versions. What am I missing here? Thanks! :confused:
Just out of curiosity did you order from A4C around Christmas? For some reason I'm having an issue getting tracking updates and am wondering when to expect mine to show up. Thanks.

raydawgone

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity did you order from A4C around Christmas? For some reason I'm having an issue getting tracking updates and am wondering when to expect mine to show up. Thanks.

I had that probem with my update wasn't showing messages for gmail. The watch directed me to the phone.this was going on for a week and a half after the update. Someone helped with this problem. Uninstall Watchstyler and gear manger from the phone. Go to phone settings go to applications manger uninstall gear manager than reinstall the gear it worked for me. I had to uninstall Gear Manager. Uninstall Watch Styler. Reset the watch. But after I did everything from scratch, it worked. Worth a try

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Yup. I ordered Christmas eve. They are in in NYC and I'm on Long Island and I received the watch on Friday the 27th. They shipped USPS Priority 1 day. I always find USPS tracking updates lacking. FWIW, the watch looked to be a return, the back was slightly dirty in the engraved "Samsung" logo. It cleaned right up. However, there is a smallish scratch on the upper left corner of the glass. Hardly noticeable, but, they sold and advertised it as in PERFECT cosmetic condition, so it should have no marks on it. I emailed them with a pic and haven't heard back yet. It doesn't matter much to me as I'm probably sending it back because its about as useless as most reviews said it was .. Having to pull my phone out to read a full email, etc makes it pretty useless in my eyes. It was an impulse buy and I probably should have done more research. Oh well. LOL

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I had that probem with my update wasn't showing messages for gmail. The watch directed me to the phone.this was going on for a week and a half after the update. Someone helped with this problem. Uninstall Watchstyler and gear manger from the phone. Go to phone settings go to applications manger uninstall gear manager than reinstall the gear it worked for me. I had to uninstall Gear Manager. Uninstall Watch Styler. Reset the watch. But after I did everything from scratch, it worked. Worth a try

Well, I'm a dope. I had the option to display message text in the notification drawer turned off on the phone. Turned it on and everything works. Still useless that I cant reply from the watch, even if it is a voice reply. Thanks for your help. I think I'm gonna return the device and wait till the idea is a little better baked. Nicely built device though. Attention to detail is a bit lacking, the little screws on each corner should have been all neatly aligned not torqued down seemingly randomly. I'm anal about stuff like that. You would never see that on a normal watch such as a Casio G-Shock or something like that. LOL

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I ordered Christmas eve. They are in in NYC and I'm on Long Island and I received the watch on Friday the 27th. They shipped USPS Priority 1 day. I always find USPS tracking updates lacking. FWIW, the watch looked to be a return, the back was slightly dirty in the engraved "Samsung" logo. It cleaned right up. However, there is a smallish scratch on the upper left corner of the glass. Hardly noticeable, but, they sold and advertised it as in PERFECT cosmetic condition, so it should have no marks on it. I emailed them with a pic and haven't heard back yet. It doesn't matter much to me as I'm probably sending it back because its about as useless as most reviews said it was .. Having to pull my phone out to read a full email, etc makes it pretty useless in my eyes. It was an impulse buy and I probably should have done more research. Oh well. LOL
I ordered Christmas Eve as well and am in NJ. For whatever reason they shipped mine DHL Global Mail where it gets handed off to USPS. They finally showed an update last night. The Gear was just picked up in Brooklyn on the 27th. Gotta love it...

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm a dope. I had the option to display message text in the notification drawer turned off on the phone. Turned it on and everything works. Still useless that I cant reply from the watch, even if it is a voice reply. Thanks for your help. I think I'm gonna return the device and wait till the idea is a little better baked. Nicely built device though. Attention to detail is a bit lacking, the little screws on each corner should have been all neatly aligned not torqued down seemingly randomly. I'm anal about stuff like that. You would never see that on a normal watch such as a Casio G-Shock or something like that. LOL

Now you've really got my curiosity up as to what to expect. ;) I guess I'll find out either today or Monday...

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
@Jet300: I don't understand the confusion with the Gear.

It's an accessory to your phone and not a replacement for it. When people who buy wearable tech understand this reality they are less likely to be disappointed because their expectations would have been reasonable.

Smartwatches like the Gear are best suitable for people who receive notifications throughout the day and don't want to have to pull the phone out to simply check them. The heavy lifting like responding to emails or detailed text messages are best accomplished on the phone.

However, if you?re walking through a mall, exercising like walking or jogging, driving in the car, or maybe even sitting on the sofa at home, when an email, phone call, text message, bank notification, or even a post from forums like this one are received a quick vibration from the Gear alerts you and you can then determine if the notification can be avoided for now or requires immediate attention.

This is the real value of the Gear and other smartwatches. Many people are expecting a phone on their wrist when they buy the Gear. Remember it's not a phone, it's an accessory to the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
@Jet300: I don't understand the confusion with the Gear.

It's an accessory to your phone and not a replacement for it. When people who buy wearable tech understand this reality they are less likely to be disappointed because their expectations would have been reasonable.

Smartwatches like the Gear are best suitable for people who receive notifications throughout the day and don't want to have to pull the phone out to simply check them. The heavy lifting like responding to emails or detailed text messages are best accomplished on the phone.

However, if you’re walking through a mall, exercising like walking or jogging, driving in the car, or maybe even sitting on the sofa at home, when an email, phone call, text message, bank notification, or even a post from forums like this one are received a quick vibration from the Gear alerts you and you can then determine if the notification can be avoided for now or requires immediate attention.

This is the real value of the Gear and other smartwatches. Many people are expecting a phone on their wrist when they buy the Gear. Remember it's not a phone, it's an accessory to the phone.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

After using the Gear for two days now I agree with what you are saying. Problem is I have no issue pulling the phone out to look at it to check messages, make a call, etc. The biggest problem I have with it is not being able to read or navigate an entire email, let alone respond to one. The whole process just seems half baked to me. Like I said, it was an impulse buy. I should have done my homework. The watch does everything Samsung says it does . It's just that I have no real need for that functionality at this time ....

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I actually find replying to texts quite easy; leave the notification, navigate over to S Voice, then say "text 'so and so' 'whatever'." Would it be nice to have a reply option from the notification? Sure, but I don't find it a hassle at all to do it my way. Besides, I like playing around on the Gear and this gives me an opportunity to do that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Ni Hammad

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually find replying to texts quite easy; leave the notification, navigate over to S Voice, then say "text 'so and so' 'whatever'." Would it be nice to have a reply option from the notification? Sure, but I don't find it a hassle at all to do it my way. Besides, I like playing around on the Gear and this gives me an opportunity to do that.

You can in fact reply from the text. Just press that little icon in the top right corner and it should give you the option to delete, reply with s voice, or reply with the templates.

Posted via Android Central App

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Should have clarified, I'm using hangouts to handle my SMS, so no such option

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
After using the Gear for two days now I agree with what you are saying. Problem is I have no issue pulling the phone out to look at it to check messages, make a call, etc. The biggest problem I have with it is not being able to read or navigate an entire email, let alone respond to one. The whole process just seems half baked to me. Like I said, it was an impulse buy. I should have done my homework. The watch does everything Samsung says it does . It's just that I have no real need for that functionality at this time ....

I can understand what you're saying. This type of technology is not for everyone. However, I really do like mine. I jog in the morning and I use the Note 3. I place the phone in an armband and my GG on my wrist. If during the run I get an email, text, or a phone call, the GG vibrates and without missing a stride I can quickly glance at the watch and know if I need to do anything right then or not. If it's a phone call from my wife I can swipe the screen of the GG and take the call without having to pull the phone out of the armband. If it's a simple email from Amazon letting me know of the daily deal I will usually ignore it, and keep on going. If it's a text from one of my kids, I have programmed several "canned" responses (e.g., Yes., No., No problem., Thank you., You're welcome., Call me later., I'm busy right now but I'll call you back., etc.) that I can quickly reply with via the GG. I have about 20 different quick replies.

In my world it's these little conveniences that make technology worth the investment in my life. In fact, I have had the GG since it first hit the US markets. I find more and more uses for it everyday, and I have plenty of real life examples of how I use it. At this stage, I could not even imagine owning a phone without a smartwatch.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

I see what you mean and tried that, but it seems like a whole lot of swiping compared to just taking out my phone and banging out the reply.

You can in fact reply from the text. Just press that little icon in the top right corner and it should give you the option to delete, reply with s voice, or reply with the templates.

I used Handcent for my texts. No such option is supported that I see,

I can understand what you're saying. This type of technology is not for everyone. However, I really do like mine. I jog in the morning and I use the Note 3. I place the phone in an armband and my GG on my wrist. If during the run I get an email, text, or a phone call, the GG vibrates and without missing a stride I can quickly glance at the watch and know if I need to do anything right then or not. If it's a phone call from my wife I can swipe the screen of the GG and take the call without having to pull the phone out of the armband. If it's a simple email from Amazon letting me know of the daily deal I will usually ignore it, and keep on going. If it's a text from one of my kids, I have programmed several "canned" responses (e.g., Yes., No., No problem., Thank you., You're welcome., Call me later., I'm busy right now but I'll call you back., etc.) that I can quickly reply with via the GG. I have about 20 different quick replies.

In my world it's these little conveniences that make technology worth the investment in my life. In fact, I have had the GG since it first hit the US markets. I find more and more uses for it everyday, and I have plenty of real life examples of how I use it. At this stage, I could not even imagine owning a phone without a smartwatch.

I wore the watch for a couple of days. I do see what you mean about looking glancing at messages and know whether to respond or not. I did find myself going to the phone in my pocket less and less. Gonna keep on wearing it the rest of the week. Lets see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for the replies! You're all great!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was using Glowfly for my SMS messages since it gave me a popup. I was able to read my messages on the Gear but could not reply either. When I switched to the standard SMS program I was able to reply. Then I came to the startling conclusion that I don't need a popup for my SMS messages if I could read them on the Gear. ;) Go figure!

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean and tried that, but it seems like a whole lot of swiping compared to just taking out my phone and banging out the reply.

I used Handcent for my texts. No such option is supported that I see,

I wore the watch for a couple of days. I do see what you mean about looking glancing at messages and know whether to respond or not. I did find myself going to the phone in my pocket less and less. Gonna keep on wearing it the rest of the week. Lets see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for the replies! You're all great!

i too used to use handcent but thought i'd try the stock sms since it works well with the gear and i haven't been sorry......love that i can use the templates to reply quickly!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech