Wait for Gear 2??

weetigo

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
If you can get it for cheap, grab it. Its not worth the launch price though.

In Canada, you can purchased it on kijiji (local ebay affliliate) for around $180-250 Brand New in Box, thanks to a $50 (with Note 3) holiday promotion from Rogers.

I didn't hesitate to grab it via that Rogers promotion on boxing day (Dec 26) and am very happy with the GG, through I am getting tired of seeing the temperature stay below -30c for the past couple weeks :(

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Please. There are no facts. Just that cryptic Twitter pic from Samsung, which could mean anything. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.

Uhm, does it count that there's now confirmation from Mr. Dong-hoon Chang himself, executive Vice President and design head at Samsung’s IT & Mobile Communications Division, that second gen Gear and S5 (although they may have a different name for S5) will be launched at Barcelona?

Let's face it, ALL potential new releases are just rumor and hearsay until they actually happen, but I am just offering up my viewpoint that Gear 2 will happen end of feb.

anon(5397195)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the trigger and got one from ebay NIB for $245. I decided I didn't want to wait and honestly I make enough money to not care if a better one comes out because I can afford to buy it in 6 months if its that much better. I am exited for it but have to wait a week to get it. It will definitely make my life easier since I have two galaxy phones and I can pair it up to which ever one I bring with me at the time. I mean I understand all the bad hype about the product but in reality it looks like they have already fixed all the things i care about and bought it for. As long as it sends meeting requests, notifications, has a working camera and tells me the time ill be happy.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine knowing that it's only good with a Samsung device. My phone contract comes up in July. At this point I don't know what I'll be replacing my S3 with. I didn't mind spending the $200 (ebay refurb) for a toy for 7 months knowing it may be useless after that.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you can get it for cheap, grab it. Its not worth the launch price though.

In Canada, you can purchased it on kijiji (local ebay affliliate) for around $180-250 Brand New in Box, thanks to a $50 (with Note 3) holiday promotion from Rogers.

I didn't hesitate to grab it via that Rogers promotion on boxing day (Dec 26) and am very happy with the GG, through I am getting tired of seeing the temperature stay below -30c for the past couple weeks :(

I paid $300 and not one bit of remorse. Just enjoying my gear everytime I put it on. That would be every day. What's that worth?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I paid $300 and not one bit of remorse. Just enjoying my gear everytime I put it on. That would be every day. What's that worth?

Absolutely! Even with knowing or hoping the new one comes out in another couple months, if I can find one for around $200 I would buy one.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I hope that the next Gear is waterproof. That is the reason why I didn't get the current Gear. That, and the price.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I hope that the next Gear is waterproof. That is the reason why I didn't get the current Gear. That, and the price.

As others have mentioned, there is really no need to have the GG waterproof...it would be silly to take a call under water, in the shower, etc. Splashes of water on it are fine, as long as you dry them up. I have walked with it in the rain, but like any expensive watch, I roll my sleeve over, etc. It's quite water resistant, not water proof. Unless u do triathlons every day, the current GG is fine.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

The gear is rated for 30 minutes at one meter under water.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The gear is rated for 30 minutes at one meter under water.

Correction. The gear has an IP-55 dust and water rating. The first 5 is the secong highest level of dust protection. The second 5 means water resistant to water jets.
Not sure where I had read the prior statement, but a 7 is 1.5 meter under water for 30 minute rating.
I think I had seen a you tube. Guess you should not believe everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AumcFF-9F9U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

anon(5397195)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well that's good to know it can resist water. Although I would never test it out and try to keep it out of the water it's an added bonus its not going to blow up on my wrist in the rain.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't worry so much about being water resistant as I do the clunky placement of the camera. Maybe I'm the only one but I hate the camera lens on the band. When the next installment does release I'm hoping for either a redesign with better camera placement and an overall slimmer form factor, or something similar to How it looks now with the camera completely removed.

george-london

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes another one will come out sometime. It will probably be a little thinner and the battery will last a little longer with a slightly faster CPU and a slightly higher res screen, and a slightly higher res camera. But my guess is that it will be pretty much the same as the Gear 1 but with a much better overhauled OS which will solve a lot of the criticisms. The new OS will be made available to the Gear 1 users at the same time or shortly afterwards.

jwlehman

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I think all of those on the fence should wait. Getting on the forum and asking everyone if you should wait or buy is redundant. There are folks out there that are early adopters, and others who wait as long as they can in hopes of having the version that works best for them. I bought my GG in September and knew what it would and wouldn't do before I placed my order. I have not experienced any disappointment or regret from my purchase.

If the current GG doesn't do what you want or is too expensive then don't buy it.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Oooorrrr you could wait until September, perhaps then they will release the Gear 3 to go with the Note 4.

But actually if you're going to do that, might as well wait until next year to see if the Gear 4 comes out with the S6.

That's my vote, wait for the gear 4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a new smartwatch from Samsung will come out very soon.

If you don't need it, wait for the Gear 2. If you do need it now, buy it, it's a great device.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

anon(5397195)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine comes on Monday (hopefully) and I am already glad I made the purchase. I don't think they will release a gear 2 until late summer. The next thing they will probably release is the galaxy band. It makes more sense to release that. I don't see any real good reason to not get it other then speculation the gear 2 is coming out soon which I feel is doubtful. I mean I don't need a 30 mp camera on the thing or anything and a significant better battery isn't going to come out for probably a while. Probably not even the gear 2, there haven't been any major advancements in battery technology that I am aware of for devices like this. Outside of that it does everything I need it to do which is mainly to push notifications to my watch. The only thing else I would really like to see on it would be to track google maps locations pushed from my phone. It would be nice to just glance at my watch while walking to make sure I am going the right way but honestly not a big deal.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think all of those on the fence should wait. Getting on the forum and asking everyone if you should wait or buy is redundant. There are folks out there that are early adopters, and others who wait as long as they can in hopes of having the version that works best for them. I bought my GG in September and knew what it would and wouldn't do before I placed my order. I have not experienced any disappointment or regret from my purchase.

If the current GG doesn't do what you want or is too expensive then don't buy it.

This 👆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Wonder if JasW is still calling "absolute BS"?!

You can call BS but you may want to direct your attention to Samsung's own Twitter page that they put up on Sat that includes the following:

Samsung teases Galaxy Gear 2 release in 2014 - Sci/Tech - DNA

One quote from that article: "Seeing the trend that Samsung follows, Galaxy Gear 2 is not expected to be unveiled until MWC 2014 in February alongside the eagerly awaited Samsung Galaxy S5."

Or maybe you prefer this one with quotes from the Korean Herald:

"A new report from The Korean Herald seems to be confirming our assumptions. A source for the outlet is saying that Samsung is preparing the Galaxy Gear 2 and "it's a high possibility" that the device will be unveiled at MWC in February. There isn't a lot of information to be had about the Gear 2, but it is expected to feature a flexible display. The source is also saying that Samsung is getting ready to announce the Galaxy Band, which will be a health and fitness tracker in the vein of FitBit or Nike FuelBand."

Samsung set to announce Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Band at MWC

Or if you prefer this from Droidlife:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/28/samsung-may-unveil-galaxy-gear-2-and-galaxy-band-at-mwc/

Basically it's now all over the Internet...you can believe it or not, but I think there are some of us out there who are trying to make a buying decision based on a certain set of facts. At this stage, still rumor, but rumor based on a set of facts...you can always form your own opinions, but I will wait for news coming out of Barcelona in Feb to decide.