03-07-2014 03:05 PM
53 123
tools
    I paid $300 and not one bit of remorse. Just enjoying my gear everytime I put it on. That would be every day. What's that worth?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely! Even with knowing or hoping the new one comes out in another couple months, if I can find one for around $200 I would buy one.
    01-06-2014 09:21 PM
    I hope that the next Gear is waterproof. That is the reason why I didn't get the current Gear. That, and the price.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3
    01-06-2014 09:29 PM
    I hope that the next Gear is waterproof. That is the reason why I didn't get the current Gear. That, and the price.

As others have mentioned, there is really no need to have the GG waterproof...it would be silly to take a call under water, in the shower, etc. Splashes of water on it are fine, as long as you dry them up. I have walked with it in the rain, but like any expensive watch, I roll my sleeve over, etc. It's quite water resistant, not water proof. Unless u do triathlons every day, the current GG is fine.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app
    neonworm likes this.
    01-06-2014 10:07 PM

The gear is rated for 30 minutes at one meter under water.

01-06-2014 10:32 PM

Really? Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks!

01-06-2014 10:33 PM

Correction. The gear has an IP-55 dust and water rating. The first 5 is the secong highest level of dust protection. The second 5 means water resistant to water jets.
    Not sure where I had read the prior statement, but a 7 is 1.5 meter under water for 30 minute rating.
    I think I had seen a you tube. Guess you should not believe everything.

UsedName likes this.
    01-06-2014 10:46 PM
    Well that's good to know it can resist water. Although I would never test it out and try to keep it out of the water it's an added bonus its not going to blow up on my wrist in the rain.
    01-07-2014 07:32 AM
    I don't worry so much about being water resistant as I do the clunky placement of the camera. Maybe I'm the only one but I hate the camera lens on the band. When the next installment does release I'm hoping for either a redesign with better camera placement and an overall slimmer form factor, or something similar to How it looks now with the camera completely removed.
    01-07-2014 05:47 PM
    Yes another one will come out sometime. It will probably be a little thinner and the battery will last a little longer with a slightly faster CPU and a slightly higher res screen, and a slightly higher res camera. But my guess is that it will be pretty much the same as the Gear 1 but with a much better overhauled OS which will solve a lot of the criticisms. The new OS will be made available to the Gear 1 users at the same time or shortly afterwards.
    01-07-2014 06:08 PM
    I think all of those on the fence should wait. Getting on the forum and asking everyone if you should wait or buy is redundant. There are folks out there that are early adopters, and others who wait as long as they can in hopes of having the version that works best for them. I bought my GG in September and knew what it would and wouldn't do before I placed my order. I have not experienced any disappointment or regret from my purchase.

If the current GG doesn't do what you want or is too expensive then don't buy it.
    01-07-2014 07:13 PM
    Oooorrrr you could wait until September, perhaps then they will release the Gear 3 to go with the Note 4.

But actually if you're going to do that, might as well wait until next year to see if the Gear 4 comes out with the S6.

That's my vote, wait for the gear 4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    01-07-2014 08:34 PM
    I don't think a new smartwatch from Samsung will come out very soon.

If you don't need it, wait for the Gear 2. If you do need it now, buy it, it's a great device.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    01-07-2014 08:46 PM
    Mine comes on Monday (hopefully) and I am already glad I made the purchase. I don't think they will release a gear 2 until late summer. The next thing they will probably release is the galaxy band. It makes more sense to release that. I don't see any real good reason to not get it other then speculation the gear 2 is coming out soon which I feel is doubtful. I mean I don't need a 30 mp camera on the thing or anything and a significant better battery isn't going to come out for probably a while. Probably not even the gear 2, there haven't been any major advancements in battery technology that I am aware of for devices like this. Outside of that it does everything I need it to do which is mainly to push notifications to my watch. The only thing else I would really like to see on it would be to track google maps locations pushed from my phone. It would be nice to just glance at my watch while walking to make sure I am going the right way but honestly not a big deal.
    01-07-2014 08:57 PM
    I think all of those on the fence should wait. Getting on the forum and asking everyone if you should wait or buy is redundant. There are folks out there that are early adopters, and others who wait as long as they can in hopes of having the version that works best for them. I bought my GG in September and knew what it would and wouldn't do before I placed my order. I have not experienced any disappointment or regret from my purchase.

If the current GG doesn't do what you want or is too expensive then don't buy it.
    This 👆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    01-08-2014 08:08 AM
    Wonder if JasW is still calling "absolute BS"?!

You can call BS but you may want to direct your attention to Samsung's own Twitter page that they put up on Sat that includes the following:

Samsung teases Galaxy Gear 2 release in 2014 - Sci/Tech - DNA

One quote from that article: "Seeing the trend that Samsung follows, Galaxy Gear 2 is not expected to be unveiled until MWC 2014 in February alongside the eagerly awaited Samsung Galaxy S5."

Or maybe you prefer this one with quotes from the Korean Herald:

"A new report from The Korean Herald seems to be confirming our assumptions. A source for the outlet is saying that Samsung is preparing the Galaxy Gear 2 and "it's a high possibility" that the device will be unveiled at MWC in February. There isn't a lot of information to be had about the Gear 2, but it is expected to feature a flexible display. The source is also saying that Samsung is getting ready to announce the Galaxy Band, which will be a health and fitness tracker in the vein of FitBit or Nike FuelBand."

Samsung set to announce Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Band at MWC

Or if you prefer this from Droidlife:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/28...y-band-at-mwc/

Basically it's now all over the Internet...you can believe it or not, but I think there are some of us out there who are trying to make a buying decision based on a certain set of facts. At this stage, still rumor, but rumor based on a set of facts...you can always form your own opinions, but I will wait for news coming out of Barcelona in Feb to decide.
    03-01-2014 04:54 PM
    Wonder if JasW is still calling "absolute BS"?!

He seems to have gone strangely quiet.
    03-02-2014 07:08 AM
    I just got my Galaxy Note3 also, and I'm wondering if I should get the Galaxy Gear or wait on the Galaxy Gear2 as well? ($249.99 Amazon. Today 3/2).....decisions, decisions.
    Edit; BestBuy today (3/2) Galaxy Gear $229.99
    03-02-2014 07:41 AM
    He seems to have gone strangely quiet.
    The guy was sooo indignant about it...cracked me up.
    anon(5844091) likes this.
    03-02-2014 09:12 AM
    I just got my Galaxy Note3 also, and I'm wondering if I should get the Galaxy Gear or wait on the Galaxy Gear2 as well? ($249.99 Amazon. Today 3/2).....decisions, decisions.
    Wait...prices will continue to drop on the original and not a long wait for the Gear 2.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-02-2014 09:13 AM
    Wait...prices will continue to drop on the original and not a long wait for the Gear 2.
    Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking the same thing.
    03-02-2014 09:25 AM
    You can grab the original Gear for roughly $150 these days - just look on kijiji etc. Can't beat that, imo.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-02-2014 02:47 PM
    AT&T had dropped the price for all of the colors to $199: Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch in Jet Black from AT&T
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-02-2014 07:27 PM
    AT&T had dropped the price for all of the colors to $199: Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch in Jet Black from AT&T
    Best Buy will match AT&T's price as well, in case you prefer to buy there. I just bought mine a couple a days ago and Best Buy matched the $199 AT&T offer.
    JimSmith94 likes this.
    03-06-2014 08:36 AM
    I sold mine this morning on Craigslist for $225, factored in tax and screen protector.

03-06-2014 12:19 PM
    I sold mine this morning on Craigslist for $225, factored in tax and screen protector.

That's a hell of a sale. I got mine brand new for $180 CDN, which was around 172 usd at the time, and now you can find them all over the place for 150....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    03-06-2014 10:07 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD