Galaxy Gear: Returned...

matejj

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Let me first start off saying that I love this watch! ...But,...I just bought it when I got my Note 3 after Christmas. I really took a liking to the gear, but with the news of a new gear coming out in three months with ANY NEW Feature i cant justify the 340 I spent on mine----300 plus 40 for the best buy service plan. Even if the New Gear 2 is turns out to be not as good as the Original, I would still be better off price wise cause no way is the original gear going to cost 300 when the New Gear 2 comes out. I still can't believe that everyone who bought the original Gear paid 300 dollars for the right to be a Samsung Beta Tester....they should have paid you all, or at least give you a substantial refund on the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So basically you returned a product you "love" because you are absolutely certain the next version will be cheaper even though it may not have all the features of the current gear? You may be correct or you may be incorrect but tell the rest of us that own the current Gear that we made a mistake (because you think you did) is just wrong. By the way, I paid $199 for my refurb and it works just fine.

matejj

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You were beta testers...and so was I. A product that get changed less than 6 months into its inception and admittedly, from Samsung is being changed ,..." Ms. Lee told Bloomberg. "When we release our S5 device, you can also expect a Gear successor with more advanced functions, and the bulky design will also be improved." I'm OK with the price...300 means nothing to me for a watch of Gear's capabilities, and I'm more than willing to pay it again for the Gear 2, my argument is why stick with the Gear 1 when I am still in my return window, with news of a better Gear is literally weeks away. I own my own company and have brought several products to market and I know beta testing when I see it. It's not easy to design, manufacture, input a working bug free software package and then market a new product, least of all do it again in 6 months. That's scrambling....

Now the watch does work as advertised, it just does none of its advertised features well. Gear is capable of so much more...thats why so many people have rooted it. There hasn't been one single app added to the store in God knows how long, no updates since the last that opened up more notifications, Why is that? Probably because Samsung has stopped all further development to concentrate on Gear 2. I never said any of you did anything wrong or should be unhappy with the watch, just that you were early adopters to a new technology that hasn't found itself yet. I'm going to be the one of the first people to buy the gear 2, no matter what the cost, knowing full well it will be obsolete the day after I buy it. But keeping my Gear 1 while I was still in my return widow would have been just foolish.

matejj

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So basically you returned a product you "love" because you are absolutely certain the next version will be cheaper even though it may not have all the features of the current gear? You may be correct or you may be incorrect but tell the rest of us that own the current Gear that we made a mistake (because you think you did) is just wrong. By the way, I paid $199 for my refurb and it works just fine.

Read what I said instead of being reactionary....I never said the next version will be cheaper I said if I dont like the next version (Gear 2), the Gear 1 (old version) will be cheaper than the 340 I paid. I also never said you made a mistake either. ...But you were glorified Beta testers....6 months to the ReBoot of a next generation Gear proves that....

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Read what I said instead of being reactionary....I never said the next version will be cheaper I said if I dont like the next version (Gear 2), the Gear 1 (old version) will be cheaper than the 340 I paid. I also never said you made a mistake either. ...But you were glorified Beta testers....6 months to the ReBoot of a next generation Gear proves that....
My apologies for not understanding your post regarding the cost... Re-reading it I now understand what you're saying although I still don't understand the logic completely. If you're saying that we are all glorified Beta testers and that Samsung should have paid us all to use the Gear doesn't that infer that we made a mistake by paying for the Gear?

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
My apologies for not understanding your post regarding the cost... Re-reading it I now understand what you're saying although I still don't understand the logic completely. If you're saying that we are all glorified Beta testers and that Samsung should have paid us all to use the Gear doesn't that infer that we made a mistake by paying for the Gear?

You are correct, you were never a beta tester...you were an ALPHA tester!!

matejj

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Truthfully what Samsung should have done was to put this in the hands of many American Gadget people, sort of what Google Glass is doing. Being an early adopter is not a bad thing, it proves your cutting edge, and it further proves you believe, as I do, in the concept. It wasn't ready, for reasons larger than us, they choose to release it. Samsung very rarely gets it so wrong, C'mon you have to admit there are glaring omissions in the watch. It really aught to be waterproof. It really aught to have a GPS. It aught to have a keyboard. A Calculator, Apps like Maps should emulate on the watch, a front facing camera. Basically less "spy watch" more "work with me" watch. Hopefully the ReBoot will fill in some of those gaps...

Fozzmeister

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
All that needs improving for me is full notifications on messaging or email apps. I rooted and installed a custom rom and the only thing extra I find useful is a silent camera!
As for having a keyboard mine does and it's annoying! I want my gear to be an extension of my phone not a replacement for it!

Posted via Android Central App

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely disagree but of course you are entitled to your opinion.

It was obvious to more than just me that they just wanted to beat Apple to the punch on this one, so released long before it was truly ready...aka beta or alpha rollout. It was easily the most panned or one of the most panned tech products of the year. That being said, I almost bought one yesterday!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It was obvious to more than just me that they just wanted to beat Apple to the punch on this one, so released long before it was truly ready...aka beta or alpha rollout. It was easily the most panned or one of the most panned tech products of the year. That being said, I almost bought one yesterday!
With all the crap Samsung gets for "imitating" Apple I don't blame them one bit for this move. Was it ready for release? Nope. I agree with you. But since the latest firmware updates (I didn't buy it before that) I think it's a really good product. Problem with the reviewers is they are not re-reviewing the Gear since the update and everyone still thinks it gives minimal if any info on the notifications. I still think the biggest problem from a reviewer perspective is that it only works with Samsung phones.

matejj

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Problem with the reviewers is they are not re-reviewing the Gear since the update and everyone still thinks it gives minimal if any info on the notifications. I still think the biggest problem from a reviewer perspective is that it only works with Samsung phones.

Absolutely agree! The reviewers didn't do the Gear any justice and they didn't seem to revisit the product after the major update. It's a good product that was just not yet ready for release....I hope they do better with the Gear 2. I cant wait....Iv'e gotten so used to it that when my phone dings i look to my watch :(

IAmCashmere_D

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Where did you find it refurbished at?

Posted via Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't kid yourself. Every time you buy a new smartphone or accept an update you're a beta tester. I love my gear. I wish someone would come up with a better watch Styler app but the Gear does everything I want it to do.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Why buy a refurb for $199 when you can pick up a "like new" one for the same money??

Ste Wilkins

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a Gear off ebay and i tell ya it's been a god send for me, no longer do i need to carry my phone around with me just in case i miss a important call or message, Note 3 rings while im in another room or upstairs I just answer the call with my watch.

As it is the Gear does exactly what i need it to, tell me the time and also let me know of calls and messages as it was intended to, I'm not bothered if i can't get the net on it or keyboards ect that what my Note 3 for.

If anything the Gear 2 needs to loose the camera on the strap, make it fully waterproof, add a front facing camera for video calls, also GPS wouldn't be a bad idea aswell, also a small notification light of some sort.