Smart Remote?

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I know this app "smart remote" which allows the Gear to control your TV (as long as your Note 3 is pointed at the television) has been long removed from the Samsung app store. But some folks actually said that it worked, at least a few months back when the app came out. Now, I can't find anyone who is using it or knows how to get it to connect. When I tried it, it always said that my Gear was not connected via bluetooth to my phone, when I know for sure that it WAS connected (especially when I was able to use Google Search as well as the web browser right from the watch (using custom rom Null 18). I got so frustrated with it that I deleted the damn app and almost threw the watch across the room. That was my hint to give up and leave it along for now.

So just out of curiosity, did any of you get this app to work when it was released, or better yet, is anyone STILL using it and if so, please explain how?

Thx.

...wondering if the app was pulled from the Samsung app store because it never worked very well in the first place...

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
WatchOn not only has to be running on your phone, but also set to appear in the notification area. Go to watchon's options.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your responses guys. However, I do have WatchOn running on my phone all the time, and in settings I also already have enabled "Show remote control on notification panel" (if that's what you're talking about Jaltman) but the app on the Gear just continues to say that my Gear and phone are NOT connected (with a bluetooth symbol showing with a line through it). What version of Smart Remote are you all using? Where did you get it, since it no longer seems to be in the Samsung App Store and it never was in the Playstore is my understanding.

Also, was there anything special that you had to do to set it up? And lastly, does it still work or has it stopped? I ask that because it feels like an app that has been discontinued since it's no longer advertised and almost no one has it. That usually points to a problem with the app and that it was therefore pulled. Please let me know...I would LOVE to get this app working!

Thanks again, and sorry for so many questions, but this has been driving me nuts for weeks now.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Using it right now, it works fine... Did not have to do anything special to get it to work.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Using it right now, it works fine... Did not have to do anything special to get it to work.

Again, what version of Smart Remote are you running? Where did you get it since it doesn't seem to exist anymore? What was your set up process considering that the app has no menu or options on the Gear?

Come on, give me a little bit to go on other than "it works", I'm sure you didn't launch the app and it knew who you were, what cable provider you use, etc.

Last edited:

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, since it is just an extension of the watchon program, there is no setup, it does know who you are and what cable system you are on. It is just a set of remote buttons that operate the main program on your phone. The version number is 1.0.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no set up, got it from Samsung store when I first bought my gear few months ago. That's all I know.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I too am not able to find "smart remote" or WatchOn in the Samsung app store.

I have both WatchOn and a third party remote app installed. I'd love to be able to change channels, volume, etc from my watch. Guessing the app was removed?

Posted via Android Central App

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Samsung on this issue yesterday and as I thought, the Smart Remote app has been pulled from the Samsung App Store a while ago and none of the current techs there know anything about it especially since it is a 3rd party app. I then also reached out to Peel, the company that makes the app but their only means of contact is by email. So of course I sent them a message but have not heard back.

Considering the consistent results that I and others are getting with the app not working, and is only really working for what seems to be those early adapters who got the app through their Gear Manager. It really appears that there is something extra going on in the background when installing an app on the Gear via the Gear Manager/phone that connects the 2 devices better than if just side loaded.

No matter how many times I clear cache and data and run the app from the watch, it ALWAYS says that there is no connection to the phone (Note 3) when I KNOW that the 2 devices are already connected. This is easily proven by using the watch to make a call, surf the net, do a Google Search, etc. None of these functions would be possible if the devices were NOT connected!

Puzzling....

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Unrelated, but I had some issues with the Peel app, unrelated to the watch program, and you can email, you can open an issue, but they are absolutely unresponsive. I got a reply by posting a bad review in the app store, but no resolution of the issue,