Thinking about getting a Galaxy Gear... Need some feedback.

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
For those of you that paid $299 for the Galaxy Gear watch, do you think it was worth the price? I'm really contemplating on buying one, but I'm not too sure just yet. I haven't been keeping up with much news regarding smart watches, but do you guys think that Samsung would eventually start releasing new Galaxy Gear watches every few months?

I'd like to throw the $299 on it, but if a new one is likely to come out every few months like it seems with the tablets and phones, I might just hold off... Not too sure. Just need some tips. Thanks guys.

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I would personally hold off as of right now. There is a new model that is rumored to be coming out within the next few months. I would personally wait for the new model at this point.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There will always be new products coming out so, you might wind up "chasing your tail". They predict that the wearable market will be the next trend in tech so, therefore, you can almost expect constant changes. The GG was just released at the end of September so, in some aspects its relatively new. Yes, there is a rumor of a newer GG coming out soon but nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

I bought mine for $199 when I upgraded to the Note 3. When i first bought it, I was on the fence about returning it and kept going back and forth between the Pebble and regular watch. Now that I have used the GG for awhile (4 weeks), I will not get rid of mine. Part of my hesitancy was constantly referring to this device as a watch. It is not a watch but more of an extension to your cell phone. It displays texts, checks weather, has limited apps, notifies you of emails and such. Allows you to make phone calls and receive them as well. i thought the phone call part was rather gimmicky until i got a call in the car and decided rather than try and find my bluetooth or my phone, i would just answer the call. Other times, I got a call from someone when my phone was not immediately near me and I answered it. Or, when i was shopping and my hands were full and I just answered the phone right there.

The camera seems kind of gimmicky but Samsung has visions on making it more of a value.

The other thing, is that I have had people ask me about the watch and what I think about it. My students surprisingly knew exactly what I was wearing. Since I teach its a PIA to constantly pull my phone out and its nice to stop and look at my watch in the middle of my teaching to see who texted me or who called. It minimizes disruptions. By the way some people have jail broken their watch and found that the Operating System is Android so, they can run it like a phone to play games like Candy Crush and such. It has some great potential.

Look around between Ebay and Amazon, i bet you could find one for 199 and that might help the decision.

randomized

May 31, 2012
Visit site
There will always be new products coming out so, you might wind up "chasing your tail". They predict that the wearable market will be the next trend in tech so, therefore, you can almost expect constant changes. The GG was just released at the end of September so, in some aspects its relatively new. Yes, there is a rumor of a newer GG coming out soon but nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

I bought mine for $199 when I upgraded to the Note 3. When i first bought it, I was on the fence about returning it and kept going back and forth between the Pebble and regular watch. Now that I have used the GG for awhile (4 weeks), I will not get rid of mine. Part of my hesitancy was constantly referring to this device as a watch. It is not a watch but more of an extension to your cell phone. It displays texts, checks weather, has limited apps, notifies you of emails and such. Allows you to make phone calls and receive them as well. i thought the phone call part was rather gimmicky until i got a call in the car and decided rather than try and find my bluetooth or my phone, i would just answer the call. Other times, I got a call from someone when my phone was not immediately near me and I answered it. Or, when i was shopping and my hands were full and I just answered the phone right there.

The camera seems kind of gimmicky but Samsung has visions on making it more of a value.

The other thing, is that I have had people ask me about the watch and what I think about it. My students surprisingly knew exactly what I was wearing. Since I teach its a PIA to constantly pull my phone out and its nice to stop and look at my watch in the middle of my teaching to see who texted me or who called. It minimizes disruptions. By the way some people have jail broken their watch and found that the Operating System is Android so, they can run it like a phone to play games like Candy Crush and such. It has some great potential.

Look around between Ebay and Amazon, i bet you could find one for 199 and that might help the decision.

Very cool, and I really appreciate your feedback. I'm guessing the phone connects to the GG via Bluetooth? Seems more tempting to get one of these now.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does. It works through blue tooth. There has also been a lot of software updates since it originally came out making it more useful than the first version.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I echo what tech_fan has stated.

I personally chose to pay the full price of $299 for the GG because I knew I wanted one after hearing the announcement. I also agree with what tech_fan has stated in that the buyer of the GG must primarily understand that the GG is NOT a standalone device; it's an accessory or extension of your primary device. Many of the early reviewers did not appear to understand this fact and gave it poor reviews. However, when you understand that a device like the GG just adds value to your smartphone then you "get it" and you can appreciate the technology.

What I think the GG also offers is wearable tech that is stylish. In my opinion, the GG is one of the most stylish of any wearable on the market. I cannot tell you how many times I have been complimented on its looks. And when people see it, they recognize it and are quite impressed. I have the mocha grey color band because I wear suit jackets, dress slacks, and ties to work and I wanted more of a professional appearance. Nonetheless, I wear it on the weekends with my jeans and sport shirts and it fits right in.

By the way, to answer your last question, it does connect via bluetooth.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Very cool, and I really appreciate your feedback. I'm guessing the phone connects to the GG via Bluetooth? Seems more tempting to get one of these now.

And another thing I really like which is real important to me is that I can remote control the Samsung media player with the watch as well as Iheart radio and other players. If u use the Samsung one ur album art comes through as well.

Today I got a whole bunch of texts and it was nice not to take the watch out to read them. I even got them while driving so all i had to do is glance at my watch

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
And another thing I really like which is real important to me is that I can remote control the Samsung media player with the watch as well as Iheart radio and other players. If u use the Samsung one ur album art comes through as well.

Today I got a whole bunch of texts and it was nice not to take the watch out to read them. I even got them while driving so all i had to do is glance at my watch

Thanks for the info on using the Samsung Media player. I was told that it could display album art, but I never could get mine to display because I was using Power Amp and Google Music Player.
I also stumbled on a way to scrub through the song. Holding the fast forward or rewind buttons will allow scrubbing. Seems like I keep finding something new about this watch each week.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair