New Galaxy Gear, "Gear 2" and "Gear Neo"

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally am not too wild about the introduction of another mobile OS. Firefox isn't doing so hot, Blackberry is starting to fall. It just seems like there are already more than enough.

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
The Neo does not have a camera. I think that's the only difference. I think if I get this watch, I'll get the Neo. I never used the camera on the Gear 1.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am getting one as soon as it is available. From the fun I am having with the my Gear, I gotta go for the upgrade.. :D Too old to play the waiting game.. :D

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What cheeses me off is that I just got the original two months ago. It only came out (in the US) in October, for crying out loud -- just a little over FOUR freaking months ago.

Why would anyone purchase a $300 product from Samsung if they are going to release a new version virtually weeks later?

Last edited:

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
What cheeses me off is that I just got the original two months ago. It only came out (in the US) in October, for crying out loud -- just a little over FOUR freaking months ago.

Why would anyone purchase a $300 product from Samsung if they are going to release a new version virtually weeks later?

I feel the same way. I'll hold off buying another smartwatch from Samsung for a year or two. This has put a sour taste in my mouth. Google's watch should be out in June or so. I'll wait. My GG isn't 2 months old yet.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. I'll hold off buying another smartwatch from Samsung for a year or two. This has put a sour taste in my mouth. Google's watch should be out in June or so. I'll wait. My GG isn't 2 months old yet.

I understand the sentiment, but there is always something new and exciting around the corner. When I purchased the Gear on day one of its release back in November I did so based on the specs and features available at that time. Then later came an update, with no additional money from me, that improved on that initial release.

I am happy with the Gear as it is on my wrist today, and enjoy using it. Sure there are some nice things about these newer versions that make the product even better, but we all knew that was going happen at some time.

This is the risk of being an early adopter of tech. You have to know that the initial selling price will always fall, that the next big thing is only a stones throw away, and yet still be willing to take the plunge based on the features and functionality available at the time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I understand the sentiment, but there is always something new and exciting around the corner. When I purchased the Gear on day one of its release back in November I did so based on the specs and features available at that time. Then later came an update, with no additional money from me, that improved on that initial release.

I am happy with the Gear as it is on my wrist today, and enjoy using it. Sure there are some nice things about these newer versions that make the product even better, but we all knew that was going happen at some time.

This is the risk of being an early adopter of tech. You have to know that the initial selling price will always fall, that the next big thing is only a stones throw away, and yet still be willing to take the plunge based on the features and functionality available at the time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Well I think what burns the most is how short of a turn around it was. I mean if they said it was coming the end of this year then that makes sense as most electronics have new models every year but only 5 months later is ridiculous. Makes me think support will stop for the first as development focus shifts to the new ones.

Even my wife who bought me it for Christmas and doesn't even follow tech was mad and yelling at me to go return it. Even though I'm an elite plus reward zone member and best buy gives me a 45 day return window, the announcement is 2 weeks to late for me. It's not a huge deal as the current one works fine and I still like it but it does sting for those that paid full price and to have a new model ship so soon thus drastically lowing the price of the current ones too.

I just hope they still support it and release updates and new apps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
According to Phil on the AC podcast last night they are going to send an update for the original Galaxy Gear to Tizen. We are supposed to get most of the goodies the new guys have, except where the hardware prevents it like the heart rate monitor.

That should mean we will get at least some updates going forward, and the new apps developed for the new watches should work with ours once the update comes. Takes a little of the sting away.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
According to Phil on the AC podcast last night they are going to send an update for the original Galaxy Gear to Tizen. We are supposed to get most of the goodies the new guys have, except where the hardware prevents it like the heart rate monitor.

That should mean we will get at least some updates going forward, and the new apps developed for the new watches should work with ours once the update comes. Takes a little of the sting away.

A little of the sting, but still. I can't recall any piece of tech being replaced in such a short time frame. A year, sure. A few months? COME ON.

At least Gear 2 owners will have probably have a full half-year -- oh, thank you, Sammy! -- before a Gear 3 appears at the IFA along with the Note 4.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
While I understand the early adopter syndrome we lovers of tech suffer from, one would think a tad more time would have passed between beta tester and release. I mean come on! This thing on my wrist isn't 60 days old yet! By this schedule, the Gear 3 should introduced by June 1.

elvis1935

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I listened to the pod cast and did not hear anything about the galaxy gear. I think we will never see anything for the galaxy gear. I just wish phil and the others would ask the question what's going to happen to the galaxy gear it has only been out for 4mo.

damoi020

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
With the gear the speaker is in the gesp but where is the speaker in the gear 2 does anybody knows?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
With the gear the speaker is in the gesp but where is the speaker in the gear 2 does anybody knows?

They mentioned it being on the body of the watch, rather than the clasp like the original Gear. From the looks of this image I found online, I marked an arrow which seems to be the new speaker placement. uploadfromtaptalk1393451112957.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the picture regarding the speaker. I am wondering if the sound is loud enough. The current Gear volume is not loud enough, I would imagine the placement of the speaker for this new Gear may be even worse. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

damoi020

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Got no problems with that cause when you make a call with the volume on one and the speaker to your ear you can make private calls anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay