Battery drain since upgrading to Tizen

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why I never took note of it before -- probably because I routinely charge it at the end of the day -- but my Gear's battery drains much, much more rapidly since I upgraded to Tizen this past October or so. Pre-Tizen (and when I first got the Gear and was checking such things), I could still have a charge in the low 90s at the end of the day.

Last week, when I was out and about all day and using the Gear more than I otherwise do (several short videos, etc.), the thing died mid-afternoon. Since then, I've been checking and even with only very moderate use, the battery is always down to about 20% by the evening. I reset the Gear and reinstalled Gear manager this morning, but it still seems to be draining pretty fast, and certainly much faster than it did pre-Tizen. Any ideas?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just in case anyone is interested, after some digging, I seem to have found a fix. Apparently, the problem is the update of Gear Manager to the version called Samsung Gear with the circular orange icon (it used to be a watch icon).

The fix if you have a severe battery drain problem is: uninstall this latest version of Samsung Gear, then download the previous version of Gear Manager (v. 2.1.14071502). Before you install it, though, turn off mobile data and wifi to prevent Gear Manager from seeing there is a newer version. After installing and connecting to the Gear, go into Gear Manager and tap on your Gear under Paired Device, then tap on Software Update and uncheck Auto Update. Then turn wifi and mobile data back on.

EDIT: Strike all of that. My battery continues to drain at a horrific rate. I tried another suggested solution (wipe from the recovery screen of the Gear) but it made no difference. I finally just turned the motion wake feature off. That's helped just a little bit, but I'd never had to do that before. I miss the days when the Gear was still at 90% at the end of the day. WTF happened???

Last edited: