text messages over bluetooth. please help!

Chef316

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
When it comes to hands free features, Android seems to be lacking one key feature for me. I come from Windows Phone and on WP Cortana would, when I got a text, automatically make a internal call to my car through Bluetooth and tell me I got a text from so and so and ask if I wanted to respond. I can not find any feature in Android that does this. If there is, please let me know! I have read other threads where there are apps I would have to download to get my phone to do this but require either you to already have your car stereo set to Bluetooth audio and/or that the app be constantly open on your phone. This seems a bit ridiculous that there is no baked in feature in Android that would act just like the one on Windows Phone especially since Android us supposedly superior. Please help.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to hands free features, Android seems to be lacking one key feature for me. I come from Windows Phone and on WP Cortana would, when I got a text, automatically make a internal call to my car through Bluetooth and tell me I got a text from so and so and ask if I wanted to respond. I can not find any feature in Android that does this. If there is, please let me know! I have read other threads where there are apps I would have to download to get my phone to do this but require either you to already have your car stereo set to Bluetooth audio and/or that the app be constantly open on your phone. This seems a bit ridiculous that there is no baked in feature in Android that would act just like the one on Windows Phone especially since Android us supposedly superior. Please help.

Well, I am not sure how your Cortana worked. But I it's not my android I rely on for that feature, it's built in to my Jeep. If I get a text message or call my phone rings the call and tells me who the text is from and I can choose to reply, and speak a message into the Cars System itself...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is relatively frequently mentioned as an advantage that Windows Phone has over Android, and at this time, I'm not aware of a solution that can completely duplicate that feature. I've recently been using Android Auto on a regular basis, though, and I find that Google Assistant's integration into Android Auto is quite good. When I get a text message (or a Hangouts message), there's a prominent notification that appears on the phone, with a big easy-to-tap button to play the message. After Google reads you the message, it asks you if you want to respond. After your response, it will read it back to you and ask if it's correct, and also ask if you want to add to it. I find it works well. If you don't tap the button in time to respond, I think you can also say "Ok Google, show me my last messages," which will prompt Google to read that last message to you and ask if you want to respond.

You do have to maintain a Bluetooth connection with the car stereo, but if you want to drive safely, that's probably a good idea (rather than fiddling with a separate Bluetooth or wired earpiece, or trying to hold the phone with your hands while driving). If you're listening to the car radio or a CD, and your Bluetooth connection is active, I'm not sure if the system will automatically switch to that Bluetooth connection -- it might depend on the car. One possible solution would be to listen to radio using an app (but this would obviously work best if you had an unlimited data plan), or rip your CD collection and upload to your Google Play Music library in the cloud.

Chef316

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Bummer to hear. wow...i found at least one way Windows Phone is actually better than Android. crazy. hope Microsoft adds this feature to Cortana for android soon

Prydie

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
Tapping buttons & looking at a screen on a phone is hardly what we have in mind as hands free operation while driving, especially after having had a windows phone that could send a text completely handsfree previously. What is required is a way of activating OK Google via voice commands over car Bluetooth using the only button usually available on a car system which is the "call" button. As mentioned in other posts here windows phones simply used a mock number which when "dialed" opened up Cortana for voice commands over Bluetooth to send texts etc, surely Android is not so primitive that this cannot be programmed into one of the existing apps that successfully reads incoming texts, to also activate OK Google to allow the sending of texts?

moparman139

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Hello. I am also a former windows phone transplant. I have heard of Android auto. I know I can download it on my phone but my car stereo would have to be compatible too. Correct?