pop up ads on new samsung galaxy j7 v 2nd generation

libtired

Dec 29, 2018
Visit site
i just purchased my first smartphone (samsung galaxy j7 v 2nd generation) from the local Verizon franchise store. Before I ever installed any apps, I noticed that ads were opening up when I started the phone. Now they show up during phone calls. I have been looking through the web for a solution but I can't find anything specific. One article said I needed an antivirus app so I downloaded AVG. It didn't find any problems. What app is doing this? What can I safely uninstall? Thanks for any help before I take it back and switch back to a flip phone from Cricket!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are the ads on the lockscreen? Does your phone have the Peel Remote app installed?

libtired

Dec 29, 2018
Visit site
The ads aren't on the lockscreen (yet!). I don't see the Peel Remote app in the list of apps in settings. The first ad I saw was for Slotmania which was an app that came with the phone. I uninstalled that one. Now the ads have been for Wish (shopping I think) and auto insurance plus a couple I can't remember. Is there a good pop up blocker that I need to install or will that disable something else. Thanks.

libtired

Dec 29, 2018
Visit site
I may have found the problem with the Wish ad. Instead of just closing it, I clicked on the left recent apps button and it showed a solitaire app which came preloaded on the phone. I did use that app to play a game the first day I got the phone. I just uninstalled the app so I will see if that solves the problem. I imagine that I can find another solitaire app in the Google store that doesn't have this ad problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, keep us posted! It would be unusual for a manufacturer or a carrier to allow a preinstalled app that has adware. Are you sure this was a brand new phone? I'd ask Verizon about the preinstalled presence of that game, and if they did in fact approve it, I'd complain to them about the adware it came with.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty