I have a Verizon Gnex from the week it was released. I would love to have the Shiny ROM (KitKat 4.4.4) on this phone but I have zero experience in this area. I was wondering if there was anyone who could provide this service for a fee or is this just a stupid and potentially dangerous thing to do?
    09-29-2014 06:03 PM
    Just make sure they are reputable because otherwise you will likely be spied on.
    09-29-2014 06:37 PM
    There must be people who do it because someone in my neighborhood keeps advertising a phone for sale that is "professionally rooted". But, it's really not that hard. Go to the XDA forum website and download a toolkit for rooting a GNex - most work on a phone model and then you pick the specific phone (ie Verizon) as part of the steps. Follow the step by step instructions and you are done.
    09-30-2014 03:48 PM
    There are many that root it themselves claim "professionally rooted" and since being a professional only means getting paid for doing something. When it sells it is self-validating. The reality is that if you have someone root your device you can turn around and sue them for it. If you sell a rooted device with disclosure they can't. So finding someone to do it is not as easy as just buying one already done.

But please understand if you pay someone else to root your device it can be just like having a thief install your home security system. They can install software that can send all your data to them on a regular scheduled and rob you blind.

FYI: It is also an illegal business plan. To conduct a business where the sole purpose is to circumvent device security on devices you don't own. That is why there is no "Professional Bank Robber Tool Shops" or the like.
    09-30-2014 06:31 PM
    That is why there is no "Professional Bank Robber Tool Shops" or the like.
    I think those are known as Gun Stores.
    12-05-2014 06:04 PM
    I just used the Cyanogenmod installer to put 4.4.2 on my old GNex. The software couldn't be easier (four clicks, tops) and now I have a reliable backup phone running a not-so-outdated OS. Just google cyanogenmod installer for directions.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-13-2014 10:25 PM
    I just used the Cyanogenmod installer to put 4.4.2 on my old GNex. The software couldn't be easier (four clicks, tops) and now I have a reliable backup phone running a not-so-outdated OS. Just google cyanogenmod installer for directions.

Posted via Android Central App
    I agreed with TJH132. I still use my galaxy nexus, and I wanted to keep up the current version. I went for cyanogenmod and found it was easy to install. In past, I had to do many steps to root. Now, you have to do just few clicks to get there.
    01-14-2015 09:18 AM