Samsung Causes Death to Tablet....

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to say but Samsung's lack of support for upgrades to Android has made the tablet next to useless... IT can not run some of the latest Android/Google apps like GOOGLE HOME and probably many others ....

MY advice if you are having a problem or are disenchanted with SAMSUNG, just abandon the 2014 version and move on with latest (Android) non Samsung technology........

ITs so sad that my very expensive table has become just a machine to play a few legacy games on, would really love it to work with my Chromecast technology for "streaming" but between Samsung and GOOGLE Home (require ver. 6 or above) its time to have to replace this tablet even though I dearly love it...

Dale

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a 7 year old tablet -- no Android manufacturer currently supports a device with updates for longer than 3 years.

If, like me, you have absolutely no interest in iPads, then I would recommend trying a Chrome OS tablet like the Lenovo Chromebook Duet. It works quite well as a replacement for an Android tablet (since it can also run Android apps), and is guaranteed to get Chrome OS updates through June 2028.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It's standard for Android devices to only receive one or two Android system updates and only some devices get 3 years of security updates.

Considering that tablet has the same hardware as a Galaxy Note 3 which I still use around my home for audio(headphone jack) I know it's too weak to handle most modern apps. That thing is old, slow, and frustrating to even browse these forums and YouTube Music lags.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
It's a 7 year old tablet -- no Android manufacturer currently supports a device with updates for longer than 3 years.

If, like me, you have absolutely no interest in iPads, then I would recommend trying a Chrome OS tablet like the Lenovo Chromebook Duet. It works quite well as a replacement for an Android tablet (since it can also run Android apps), and is guaranteed to get Chrome OS updates through June 2028.

Read up about about the ChromeBook Duet, and was wondering about its screen resolution, is it as good as the Samsung?..... Also like the concept of the Chromebook OS is guaranteed to be stable for 8 years (from article in Wikipedia) can run Android apps....... We bought a Lenovo 10 inch Android tablet (low end price) for sister in law and the screen resolution sucked, wonder if it was a quality issue (price) of tablet or just a product of Lenovo..

Interesting read on how Chrome OS and Android parallel but never quite merged....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

Not really sold on cloud computing and my need don't require that space and portability, that IS why I never looked to deep into Chrome OS...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the screen is excellent, but I can't compare it directly to a Samsung tablet since I don't have one. But from what I can compare online, the Duet compares favorably to the Tab A7, which is probably its closest competitor in terms of price. The Duet has a 1900x1200 IPS display with 400 nits, while the A7 has a 2000x1200 TFT display with 329 nits.

Chrome OS has come a long way since its introduction, when it truly was just a "browser in a box." It's now quite versatile and powerful, with the ability to do a lot without being online. I've used Chromebooks for years, and have found it easy to do all of my productivity work using web-based apps.

In my opinion, the greatest advantages of Chromebooks are the freedom from malware and the ease of updates. I have always hated Windows Updates, as well as the necessity of some kind of antivirus on a PC (which typically bogs the system down). Also, the best thing about cloud computing is not having to worry about losing all of my data if something happens to my computer -- just get a new Chromebook, log into my account, and bam it's all there.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
FIY... Chrome books (the Dual specifically) do not have GPS chips, have to link (cable) to cell phone or other device capable of sending GPS data to Chrome Book Apps.... Sort of makes having to do a kludge of sorts makes if kind of awkward because it puts it on leash to another device and reduces simplicity of unit...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol