Just read the Engadget review

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Afterwards I canceled my preorder. I do not want my gaming experience to lag. Maybe the LTE snapdragon version will be better.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Afterwards I canceled my preorder. I do not want my gaming experience to lag. Maybe the LTE snapdragon version will be better.

Wait till AC reviews it.
Engadget leans to the side we do not speak of.
But Im sure it lags a little, No device is 100% lag free. Its technology that flawed humans created.
(but they think ****** is perfect) so its hard to win them over.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait till AC reviews it.
But Im sure it lags a little, No device is 100% lag free. Its technology that flawed humans created.

Yet Engadget's review of the Note 3 is full of praise. I was a little skeptical of the review but then saw the Verge's review and it had the same complaints. Watch the video--the lag is clearly obvious and pretty awful.

I'll wait on Anandtech before passing final judgement but I'm not optimistic. There's also the LTE version with the Snapdragon 800 but that'll likely cost even more and I'm then forced to pay a premium for a feature I don't need (LTE)--and that's assuming performance is improved.

I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to trying the Note 10.1--on paper it seemed to hit it out of the park. How the hell does a device with that much horsepower and RAM lag so terribly?

UPDATE AND CORRECTION: Looks like the AnandTech review is already out--I've got some reading to do.

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I was also really looking forward to it. $600 to me is a lot to put towards something with clear performance issues. Wonder if that is something an update can fix.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Wait till AC reviews it.

The only laggy games I found are the same ones that lag on the Nexus 10 — the ones that have no assets for the 2560 x 1600 resolution. Then again, I don't spend my time using an iPad and switching to Android just for a review, so I may have insight that he doesn't.

Not knocking anyone. Reviewing devices is tough, and unless you've used a Nexus 10 for a year you wouldn't know that some games perform poorly (Gameloft games come to mind) or why they do.

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So after better educating my self I saw comments of people saying last years model was laggy at first but fine after a couple updates. I read some more reviews and preordered once again :)

Engadget freaked me out. Can't wait for this device.

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Yet Engadget's review of the Note 3 is full of praise. I was a little skeptical of the review but then saw the Verge's review and it had the same complaints. Watch the video--the lag is clearly obvious and pretty awful.

I'll wait on Anandtech before passing final judgement but I'm not optimistic. There's also the LTE version with the Snapdragon 800 but that'll likely cost even more and I'm then forced to pay a premium for a feature I don't need (LTE)--and that's assuming performance is improved.

I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to trying the Note 10.1--on paper it seemed to hit it out of the park. How the hell does a device with that much horsepower and RAM lag so terribly?

UPDATE AND CORRECTION: Looks like the AnandTech review is already out--I've got some reading to do.

No mention of lag in the anandtech review. Interesting.

Posted via Android Central App

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The only laggy games I found are the same ones that lag on the Nexus 10 — the ones that have no assets for the 2560 x 1600 resolution. Then again, I don't spend my time using an iPad and switching to Android just for a review, so I may have insight that he doesn't.

Not knocking anyone. Reviewing devices is tough, and unless you've used a Nexus 10 for a year you wouldn't know that some games perform poorly (Gameloft games come to mind) or why they do.

Exactly. Im sure its tough based on preferences and daily devices.
Engadget has never been my "go-to source" based on opinions.
But I trust Jerry's reviews the most. I agree with 99% of your "likings"
Im more of a stock android, linux , and chromebook fan.

OP: So no matter where you see a review. Always take it with a grain of salt and get to know your reviewer based on previous reviews and opinions of past devices you have actually used before.
There is a device for everyone. Otherwise there would only be one device. There are just as many opinions as there are feet.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to reserve judgement until I can get my hands on one and give it a thorough workout myself. That being said, I've had issues with devices that have faired far better with tech critics and the fact that multiple sites are coming to many of the same conclusions (to varying degrees) doesn't bode well. Engadget, the Verge, Gigaom, ars technica, and CNet all experienced hiccups and lag, some more subtle, others much more pronounced. Cnet couldn't even get N.O.V.A. 3 to launch, something much lesser devices are capable of. And nothing speaks more than seeing it in action. Watch the Verge video review, specifically where they speak and demonstrate the lag (2 minute mark).

One or two reviews can qualify as anomalies but this many is worrisome, at least in my opinion. Of course, none of these are as good of a tool as trying it oneself but I don't see how anyone could dismiss them entirely.

I am looking forward to forum members posting their personal experiences with the device here.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Why on earth would you cancel based off a review? You need to handle it yourself

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

I agree but while I was considering preordering the device online, these reviews have given me pause. I will now at least wait until I can handle the device in person at a retail store--much easier to return vs. an online purchase.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
When spending 600$ should you not use reviews for a decision??

PART of a decision.
Remember, I'm not going to do the same things with the Note 10.1 that you are. Use the reviews to get a feel of how things work overall, but be prepared to find things — both good and bad — that reviewers didn't see.

FWIW, when it first got here, I signed in and let it reinstall all my apps automatically. It was horrible. So bad we were about to call Samsung and see if they had another we could try. But I factory reset it, and installed apps manually that I knew i would want and it's fine.

It's not perfect, because TouchWiz isn't perfect yet. But I was surprised to find that I really liked the thing. I expected to hate it because of touchwiz and the 10-inch size, but both are a non-issue after seeing the great new S Pen tools.

Scrapbook and dragging/dropping between windowed apps is pretty damn cool :)

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jerry! How is the Galaxy 2014 with your 3rd party apps? Like Chrome, twitter, various games, and the like? Is there any lag within those or is it just the Samsung apps? Or none at all? I just want to put this lag business to rest!

Thanks for any info! :D

Edit: Another reviewer (Android Police)had this to say in regards to my question:

"Don't get me wrong – as a "normal" tablet, it's fast and fluid. Benchmarks are good, and third-party apps run smoothly. Ironically, it's the Samsung proprietary stuff that tends to be laggy and/or choppy"

Last edited:

coldness

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Since you possess the galaxy note 2014, I was wondering how it performs with PDF files. When I tried running some PDF files from Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine on the Asus TF 300, it was really laggy and loaded up pages incredibly slowly.

Master school of modern piano playing and virtuosity; a universal method : Jonas, Alberto, 1868- : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

This is an example of what I tried to open on the old Asus tablet with Tegra 3 SOC. I was wondering whether you would be willing to test this file out for me? I'm sure plenty of people use their tablets to read textbooks and the like, and it seems like the past anroid tablets that came out weren't able to run them that well compared to windows tablets or the ipad.

Also, the tablet you have has the exynos octacore SOC right?

Cody Spradlin

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to wait a bit. I had a preorder, but I ended up canceling it. I'd like to get my grubby little fingers on it first. I'm also looking forward to seeing normal-use reviews from the users here. Hell, maybe there will be some aftermarket ROM support shortly after release that has good support for the S-pen. Not going to hold my breath, but hope is good. Hopefully some local retailers actually get it in stock, I know my local PX is not supporting preorders at this time, and I'm not going to bother with the local Walmart. We don't have any major electronics retailers, though.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I do take the reviews as PART of my decision, and I do trust AC the most ;) But there's nothing like actually holding one in your hands and using it and THEN decide if it's the right device for you.

Now, I REALLY hope this thing is swiftly rooted and the hack to allow multiwindow to work with all apps is released :) THEN it will be a killer tablet.

Also, I'd like to see how the upcoming Asus Transformer Pad holds up against this one...

Last edited:

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Just read The Verge review which mentions the lag prominently. Some people that ordered from Tiger Direct and received them say they haven't noticed any lag.

I've flip flopped between saying I'm just gonna buy the 2014 Note 10.1 and holding out to see what the Nexus 10 refresh brings about 5 times in the past two days.

I don't care at all about the S Pen features but the expandable memory is what makes me want the Note over the Nexus.
From the accounts I've read the real world performance and screen on the 2014 Note 10.1 is equal to last year's Nexus 10 leading me to believe that Nexus 10 refresh will bring significant performance improvements over the (IMO) Samsung S Pen Bloatware laden 2014 Note 10.1

While writing this I think I've talked myself into holding out for the Nexus 10 refresh but you can bet your sweet patootie I'll be at Best buy on October 10 to try the new Note for myself to see if the lag is real.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Just read The Verge review which mentions the lag prominently. Some people that ordered from Tiger Direct and received them say they haven't noticed any lag.

I've flip flopped between saying I'm just gonna buy the 2014 Note 10.1 and holding out to see what the Nexus 10 refresh brings about 5 times in the past two days.

I don't care at all about the S Pen features but the expandable memory is what makes me want the Note over the Nexus.
From the accounts I've read the real world performance and screen on the 2014 Note 10.1 is equal to last year's Nexus 10 leading me to believe that Nexus 10 refresh will bring significant performance improvements over the (IMO) Samsung S Pen Bloatware laden 2014 Note 10.1

While writing this I think I've talked myself into holding out for the Nexus 10 refresh but you can bet your sweet patootie I'll be at Best buy on October 10 to try the new Note for myself to see if the lag is real.

I have a similar sentiment after reading reviews but I'm certainly still interested. Unlike you, I'm mostly interested because of the S-Pen functionality. I already have a Nexus 7 and iPad Mini (will soon be my son's iPad Mini ;)) and would like something in a bit larger form factor with a focus on use for productivity instead of consumption. I love the prospects of a high res display with expandable memory and good note taking functionality, yet slim and light enough to be portable. I'm going to wait to see more personal user's accounts/experiences and also test it out at a retail location before making a decision. If these subpar reviews turn out to have some truth in them, I'll likely turn my gaze towards a Windows 8.1 tablet/hybrid--recent announcements from both Asus and Dell look promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci