who else hates the button layout??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Received my Note 10.1 yesterday and I absolutely hate the button layout. I either want my buttons on the bottom or to the right but when I put the buttons to the right I there are more then a few apps that show up upside down on the screen. On top of that with the button to the right puts the volume buttons and on off buttons to the bottom left where i keep hitting them. It might just be me but its driving me nuts already and it might have to go back. I love the S-Pen so if I go to the new Asus I would lose that.... What are others opinions on this??

BKVic

Last edited:

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd personally rather have on screen buttons, especially since Samsung's layout in opposite just about everyone else with the back button on the right. And similar to your experience, I find using it in portrait mode problematic--either have to avoid the volume buttons and covering the light sensor or if flipped around, very easy to hit the home/capacitive buttons. However I do like having a dedicated menu button and while a bit annoying right now, I'll adapt--not enough of a nuisance to outweigh all the other great elements about this tablet.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the original Note 10.1 the buttons are taking some getting used to. But having the buttons allows for the entire screen to be used for viewing. I'll learn to use the buttons for some extra screen size.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I do like everything else about it. The button layout just messes with me because it's the opposite of my GS3. I'll give it a few weeks before making a final decision because other then the button layout this thing is great!

BKVic

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I came from s3 and s4. I do prefer this button layout of note 2014. It is really what you are used to. I hate the soft button that takes away screen real estate. That was one of the reason I didn't get nexus 10. However, I did get the new nexus 7, just because the deal was too good to pass up.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I do like the button layout in landscape but I hate it in portrait. I hit the menu and back buttons accidentally constantly.... the tab is still new so maybe I'll get used to it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It would indeed be quite odd to research the tablet, buy it, and then keep (as opposed to return) it if you disliked the input layout.

G2

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I do like everything else about it. The button layout just messes with me because it's the opposite of my GS3. I'll give it a few weeks before making a final decision because other then the button layout this thing is great!

BKVic

The Galaxy S3 button layout is literally the exact same thing, same with Galaxy S4.

Posted via Note 10.1 2014

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Horrible button layout. I prefer portrait to landscape. The aspect ratio and button layout pretty much force you to use the device in landscape. I wish they would give you options to put the buttons on the screen, especially the top soft button. Some incredibly horrible ergonomic engineering by Samsung.

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Horrible button layout. I prefer portrait to landscape. The aspect ratio and button layout pretty much force you to use the device in landscape. I wish they would give you options to put the buttons on the screen, especially the top soft button. Some incredibly horrible ergonomic engineering by Samsung.

I, as well as many other users, like the button layout for landscape. It doesn't make much sense to go out and buy a tablet that is obviously made for landscape use if you prefer portrait. You're just bashing the product because you bought something outside of your own preferences.

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I, as well as many other users, like the button layout for landscape. It doesn't make much sense to go out and buy a tablet that is obviously made for landscape use if you prefer portrait. You're just bashing the product because you bought something outside of your own preferences.

Really, you know from reading that sentence that much about me? LMAO I use the iPad in both portrait and landscape, it works just fine in both. Perhaps I was naive enough to think the Note would do the same. Or perhaps you could point me to the place where they advertise the Note is to be used only in Landscape mode. Now consider that and look back and see just how stupid your comments were moron.

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Really, you know from reading that sentence that much about me? LMAO I use the iPad in both portrait and landscape, it works just fine in both. Perhaps I was naive enough to think the Note would do the same. Or perhaps you could point me to the place where they advertise the Note is to be used only in Landscape mode. Now consider that and look back and see just how stupid your comments were moron.

I seem to have hurt your feelings and I sincerely apologize for that. I was referring to you saying that, you prefer using tablets in portrait rather than landscape, when I made my comments. As for the note being advertised as a landscape only device, it never was. But, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that you had enough intelligence to observe that the physical navigation buttons were set to use in landscape. I am very sorry that you have a hard time using the tablet in portrait. I have had this tablet since the week it came out and have been able to use it in either landscape or portrait just fine. I hope that you find something that fits your needs perfectly so you don't have to complain about the little things that upset you. Feel better soon :)

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the original Note 10.1 the buttons are taking some getting used to. But having the buttons allows for the entire screen to be used for viewing. I'll learn to use the buttons for some extra screen size.

Totally agree, as far as issues it's the least of mine, I don't like the layout but it's no big thing, I will adapt to it, no SD card slot, that would be an issue, taking a month or so to get conformable where three buttons are, it bothers me about 2 seconds a few times a day.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I see you've taken your argumentative nature and name calling to another thread, against someone else. Classy

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I hate to interrupt, but I would much prefer to see threads that remain productive, on topic, and most importantly - respectful to all participants. If you do not feel like you are about to contribute in that manner, please do the adult thing and just move along. There are other threads that require your expertise in a much calmer manner. If you feel a member is violating forum rules, please hit the report button and we'd be glad to check it out. Thanks!

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have hurt your feelings and I sincerely apologize for that. I was referring to you saying that, you prefer using tablets in portrait rather than landscape, when I made my comments. As for the note being advertised as a landscape only device, it never was. But, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that you had enough intelligence to observe that the physical navigation buttons were set to use in landscape. I am very sorry that you have a hard time using the tablet in portrait. I have had this tablet since the week it came out and have been able to use it in either landscape or portrait just fine. I hope that you find something that fits your needs perfectly so you don't have to complain about the little things that upset you. Feel better soon :)

I use it in portrait mode when needed. Just pointing out the button design is less than ideal IMHO. I think it was simply horrible ergonomic engineering. I believe the primary middle button should have been concave instead of convex. I think the other two buttons should be programmable by the user including the ability to disable them. The latter two in particular would have been reasonably simple to accomplish. If you like it, even prefer it, that's your business by all means. I just happen to consider all the different ways they could have designed this and have to wonder what kind of weird thinking led them to this design with the limitations that exist. To me, this is a pretty important feature for this device and I think there are so many ways they could have done it better. Frankly, I can't think of too many ways they could have done it worse. Just MHO, YMMV of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2