Can the 2014 Note 10.1 replace a paper notebook?

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually the Note is best of both worlds. If you are using S-Note or Lecture Notes you are still writing notes like before. You just are using a better medium and saving a tree or two.

I haven't used a paper notebook at all since getting the Note. And it is much easier to find my notes with them all on the tablet.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

MilnerR

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the Note 10.1 but I use my Note 3 phone (same software) for lab and work notes and it is invaluable. The ability to look protocols and methods up whilst in the lab and paste them directly into my lab notes is great. I also take pictures of results and paste them in. The other issue is that I tend not to leave my ?600 phone behind anywhere. With paper note books I'd often have 3 or 4 on the go at once!

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that will let me annotate PowerPoint files and .pdf files on the fly. Are there any good alternatives to LectureNotes? I find that app slow to load. Many of our lecture PowerPoint presentations are more than 100 slides or .pdf pages. By the time I get them loaded, the class would be far ahead of me. Thanks for any suggestions.

V5RED

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that will let me annotate PowerPoint files and .pdf files on the fly. Are there any good alternatives to LectureNotes? I find that app slow to load. Many of our lecture PowerPoint presentations are more than 100 slides or .pdf pages. By the time I get them loaded, the class would be far ahead of me. Thanks for any suggestions.
Does the professor post the powerpoints during class? I am wondering why you can't load them in advance of class beginning.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in business and I've completely replaced paper.
If you're using writing to text then you may trip up every now and then but if you're using the raw pen then paper has no advantage.
The note even allows you to move writing around if you didn't leave enough space between sections

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Note doesn't necessarily replace all note-taking. If you mostly TYPE your notes, any tablet will do. If your notes comprise of a mixture of words and drawings, which necessitate them to be handwritten, then the Note will be helpful. The Note gives you all kinds of manipulations within a note: if you run out of room on a page, you can shrink a portion of the note to make room; you can transform handwritten text to real text that can be copied and pasted elsewhere; you can rotate, lengthen, widen, assign colors to any object, etc. One thing the Note can't do is recognize East Asian languages written VERTICALLY.

Last edited:

faramog

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Lecture notes user since about April - completely got rid of paper and day-book. I do it all on the tablet and save to pdf. Just have a backup program that copies (changes) up to a cloud. All my work, notes etc available anywhere.

App designer is very fast to respond and (in my opinion) undercharges for the app

Particularly useful is importing pdfs. Have done 60 page + imports - just add a layer to annotate and re-save

- awesome app.

Nursedad

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Repligo does annotations very nicely. I'm in grad school and use this all the time. By far my favorite annotation software on Android by far. Works great on my note 10.1 (2014)

daiDroid

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Evernote.

I got the Note 10.1 to try and go paperless. Like the OP, I have a huge collection of notebooks that I use for taking notes at work. I have now completely eliminated all pen and paper use in the office - as far as note taking use goes, anyway.

I use Evernote, because it stores the notes all in one location which I can access anywhere online. Also, the best part of Evernote is that it can searcn written text and images for words. The only concern I have using it is that it's only a trial offer and I don't Know if I'll want to pay for it later on.

l'll go check out Lecturenotes, now...

Posted via Android Central App

VICNLYN

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The S Note app is very helpful, I've been taking notes in a vertically way and work perfectly. Because I have a screen protector, the writing is not as smooth, but enough smoothness to take notes. Pretty satisfied with my Note 10.1 2014!!!

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Evernote.

I got the Note 10.1 to try and go paperless. Like the OP, I have a huge collection of notebooks that I use for taking notes at work. I have now completely eliminated all pen and paper use in the office - as far as note taking use goes, anyway.

I use Evernote, because it stores the notes all in one location which I can access anywhere online. Also, the best part of Evernote is that it can searcn written text and images for words. The only concern I have using it is that it's only a trial offer and I don't Know if I'll want to pay for it later on.

l'll go check out Lecturenotes, now...

Evernote is the master for all the notes I take, but the input to it can be S-Note. I take all meeting notes with S-Note (because I write, draw, use different colors, import stuff from documents, etc), but then I immediately share to Evernote, via PDF, and tag it. Then I have the meeting notes on all my devices (MAC Book Pro, GN3, and even an iPad mini). Evernote does OCR in its cloud, so I can search on some of my handwritten text, and it (mostly) catches it.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Repligo does annotations very nicely. I'm in grad school and use this all the time. By far my favorite annotation software on Android by far. Works great on my note 10.1 (2014)

Hi Nursedad, I took a look at the app at your suggestion, however it appears that you can only annotate PDF files via Repligo. I need to be able to annotate PowerPoint files, as well. Do you have any suggestions in that regard?

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Apparently there are plastic and rubber tips to the s-pen included in the box, rubber work better with no screen protector, and plastic with...so try one of the plastic ones.

bpeg

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Everyone looking to replace paper notebooks should consider Microsoft’s OneNote. I have used Wacom pens on tablet PC’s since 2000 (started on a MotionComputing PC tablet which was very alien at the time, it was $5k back then, but it was awesome (except for the 1.5 hour battery life)). On a windows tablet nothing can beat OneNote, and on Android and iOS the OneNote app is free and automatically syncs across all your devices. The Andoid and especially Samsung (since that is the best Note device) apps are competent, but for most users it’s better to have something seamless across your devices, even if some OneNote features don’t work on Android or iOS. So, for example you can take your electronic scribbles at a meeting or conference and later edit them at your desktop and easily turn them into proper notes. Plus everywhere you are, you have access to all your notes, even on any phone – and that’s just great. But some people, especially those in the public sector should clear legalities about freedom of information law regarding personal electronic vs paper notes. Think of EndNote as an unlimited file cabinet or library, where you create sections for each part of your life/job and divide them down ultimately to daily notes. And on a PC the scroll feature flipping through pages is blindingly fast.

Ninjatogo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
It totally can. I bought one over the summer, and have been using every day to take notes during my university lectures. The battery life is pretty good so it'll last a full working day too. I rarely ever feel the need to go back to paper given the flexibility this tablet allows.

cwHemphill

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried taking notes in class on my Note 10.1 2014 using Onenote and although it doesn't have as many features as the desktop version; it worked very well! I'm gonna go completely digital on note taking now. Plus the notes sync to your Microsoft account so you can access them on all your devices.

Posted via the Android Central App