Should I upgrade to the 2014 edition from the older one? Please give your inputs

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I got the older version of the note 10.1 (32 GB, grey version) in February, and now I am so upset and happy at the same time that the new note is everything i wanted the older one to be. i am in a serious double mind on whether to trade in for the newer version. Best buy has the best trade in offer of 200$ and amazon has 240$, so i would say I effectively lose about 110$ to 130$ (assuming the depreciated price for my older note is around 350$ max, which I think is fair price).

I really love the new screen, the lighter and more convenient placement of the s-pen and the home screen button freeing up more on-screen space (along with the processor specs, Ram improvement and the true multitasking features of course). Although the side mounted speakers are less effective than front mounted ones, if I watch movies I would rather use earphones. I also love the look and feel of the back and the sides, although the tablet will be in a case for most of its life. Oh, and the new camera rocks too.

My main needs would be watching HD videos and taking notes and such, which is why I feel the new screen in all the more awesome. i also think this newest version is future proof for me, as resolution higher than this would be indistinguishable unless you are really close to the screen. Thanks.

Please give your inputs on if I should go for the new note, and if I should, whether i should trade in at amazon, best buy or any other website or wait for black friday deals that might open up.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've taken the 2012 edition for a couple of spins and yes, the 2014 edition I currently have seems like its in a different class. The screen on the new Note 10.1 is very very nice. The only thing you really need to keep in mind is that Notes from your 2012 edition aren't compatible with the 2014 edition. You could potentially have a hundred notes you won't be able to see on the new device. I'm not sure why Samsung didn't make at least some kind of viewer so you could at least view the older notes.

The new tablet is a great device though and I can't help but recommend it for your stated uses.

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
New device version will continue to come out. The newer version will always have the improvement. Some has significant improvement and some is minor. Your device is obsoleted minute after you walk out of the store. And that is the fun about upgrade and manufacture loves that. To me, you need to put the stake down at some point.

If you can get the trade in value as you stated and loose little over $100, I think that is good. Just consider it as you rented one.

Is a new GN10 10.1 2014 a lot better than the previous model? I dont know. I never had one. I came from nexus 7, both gen. All I can say is: I love GN10 2014 a lot.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've taken the 2012 edition for a couple of spins and yes, the 2014 edition I currently have seems like its in a different class. The screen on the new Note 10.1 is very very nice. The only thing you really need to keep in mind is that Notes from your 2012 edition aren't compatible with the 2014 edition. You could potentially have a hundred notes you won't be able to see on the new device. I'm not sure why Samsung didn't make at least some kind of viewer so you could at least view the older notes.

The new tablet is a great device though and I can't help but recommend it for your stated uses.

I'm wondering if there is a way to convert the S-Notes to another format and save them to Google Drive? That way someone wouldn't lose any notes from the older model, and still have them available, albeit in another format.

I have the older version and I'm considering the new one, maybe after the holidays (unless I see a great deal during the holiday shopping season). I'm going to try and convert my notes and see what I can do...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is a way to convert the S-Notes to another format and save them to Google Drive? That way someone wouldn't lose any notes from the older model, and still have them available, albeit in another format.

I have the older version and I'm considering the new one, maybe after the holidays (unless I see a great deal during the holiday shopping season). I'm going to try and convert my notes and see what I can do...

I'm not familiar with Evernote (ssssshhh, don't tell anyone, that is kind of embarrassing) but I wonder if you can save the Notes in Evernote and then open them up in Evernote on the newer device.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Evernote (ssssshhh, don't tell anyone, that is kind of embarrassing) but I wonder if you can save the Notes in Evernote and then open them up in Evernote on the newer device.

Only one way to find out...downloading Evernote now (which I've never used either...sshhhhhh!). Although...now I need the 2014 Note 10.1 to complete the experiment! DOH!!!

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
New S Note can import notes from original S Note through Evernote or Samsung cloud. But you cannot open new ones on old Note 10.1 There is a new format viewer app in Samsung Apps for devices with original S Note.
I had the first Note 10.0 32Gb, sold this week on eBay for $300 (plus nice case and extra S Pen). Now have the new one and Note 8.0, synchronize between them through Evernote.

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
New S Note can import notes from original S Note through Evernote or Samsung cloud. But you cannot open new ones on old Note 10.1 There is a new format viewer app in Samsung Apps for devices with original S Note.
I had the first Note 10.0 32Gb, sold this week on eBay for $300 (plus nice case and extra S Pen). Now have the new one and Note 8.0, synchronize between them through Evernote.

Interested in how you use both an 8" and 10.1". Do you use them for different activities - work, home? or some other way.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I was digging around in S Note in my Note 3 and Note 10.1 for how to import files and didn't stumble across the ability to import.

from my '14 Note 10.1

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. As for transferring s notes between the old and newer versions, can't one just export to pdf and that should hopefully be importable into the s note of the new version?. although it can be long and drawn out, it should be possible to do.

Just went to best buy and the air command window alone is too awesome and well though out. i don't mean to be an ios hater when I say that the ipad has nothing on the 10.1.

I guess I will wait around for some more time and save up the pennies to get a new one in hopefully two months or so.

If only there was a good android central app for windows os, i can be up to date on any kind of ongoing deals.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800