Note 10 1 2014 vs new iPad air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I sold my Note 10.1 for an iPad Air too. I wasn't using the S-Pen on it. It's a nice tablet but the iPad is very well-executed.

G Pad 8.3

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
um....does ipad has anything like a multi screen like note 10.1?
i know ipads have note taking apps like note 10.1 do right?

No multi-screen functionality on the iPad. In principle, it's a great feature on the Note 10.1. The problem is that not very many apps can be used with it.

And yes, there are many note taking apps available for the iPad, some very robust and feature filled. Unfortunately, capacitive styli are generally fat and don't approach the functionality or accuracy of the Wacom based stylus on the Note 10.1. I splurged on the new Adonit Jot Script stylus (I'm an Evernote user) and while it's an improvement, still doesn't match a Wacom stylus.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No multi-screen functionality on the iPad. In principle, it's a great feature on the Note 10.1. The problem is that not very many apps can be used with it.

And yes, there are many note taking apps available for the iPad, some very robust and feature filled. Unfortunately, capacitive styli are generally fat and don't approach the functionality or accuracy of the Wacom based stylus on the Note 10.1. I splurged on the new Adonit Jot Script stylus (I'm an Evernote user) and while it's an improvement, still doesn't match a Wacom stylus.

I will also add the the whites are much much better on the iPad Air. You may not notice that unless you can see them side by side but on the Note 10.1 the whites have quite a warm (reddish/orange) tint to them. On the iPad they're as white as white can be white. I love Penultimate on the iPad Air but if Note taking is really your thing the Note 10.1 is a very accurate and powerful device.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The iPad Air is the first iOS device I've ever lusted over. 264 ppi on a 1lb tablet and 13 hours screen time shouldn't even be possible. But I hate iOS soooo much. And although I didn't think I'd really use the stylus on the Note 10.1 that much considering I rarely used it on my Note 2, it's really a whole different ballgame with 10.1". I bought Sketchbook Pro during a Google Play sale but never really used it. Now I'm sketching a lot. I was really into comics and drawing superheroes when I was younger, and I would have gone nuts over the Note back then -- I sketch pencils in one layer, then ink on top of another layer and then use the layers underneath to color. The results are amazing (even if the artwork is amateurish :p). I'd love it if my other comics dabbling friend would get a Note and we could trade stuff back and forth to pencil and ink. I know you can do this with Surface Pro, but you can't match the resolution on the Note 10.1, which is also a bit wider because it's 16:10 instead of 16:9.

That said, the capacitive buttons on the side in portrait mode suck. Is there an app that disables the buttons and unlocks them with a gesture?

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I love Penultimate on the iPad Air but if Note taking is really your thing the Note 10.1 is a very accurate and powerful device.

Won't disagree with you here. The S-Pen really makes the note taking experience top notch on the Note 10.1--really the best use of the Pen as I found most of the other functionality less useful. And being able to sync notes made in S-Note with Evernote very handy. I just don't need to take that many handwritten notes at the moment. What I didn't understand was why not include S-Note in the Action Command prompt that pops up when either removing the S-Pen or triggering it with the on pen button?

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPad Air is the first iOS device I've ever lusted over. 264 ppi on a 1lb tablet and 13 hours screen time shouldn't even be possible.
+1, the iPad Air is truly a beautiful device as such I really want to buy one but iOS seems to be the downfall from what I have heard. I haven't used iOS since the 3GS and I'm not sure how much it has evolved over the years. The one thing that I have read in every review is the tablet app selection is so much better on the iPad vs. Android/Windows, its been said so many times that I want to see for myself if it truly is better.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Derrick Ray

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
+1, the iPad Air is truly a beautiful device as such I really want to buy one but iOS seems to be the downfall from what I have heard. I haven't used iOS since the 3GS and I'm not sure how much it has evolved over the years. The one thing that I have read in every review is the tablet app selection is so much better on the iPad vs. Android/Windows, its been said so many times that I want to see for myself if it truly is better.

It's true the tablet app selection is way way better on iPad vs. Android/Windows. So much so that for now even though I absolutely LOVE the note 10.1 2014 I'm probably going to sell it and get an iPad again. I thought I could deal with the app discrepancy but it's just too much for me.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought the GN10 hoping to use the device as all in one light load work horse. And it actually did. But it turned out I used the Spen less then 10% of the time. With that said, iPad is more applicable for the I way I use tablet. If I am still a college student, GN10 will be my device. I don't think iPad can compete with it as far as note taking department. If I can have it my way, I will have both iPad and GN10. Actually I can. But it wouldn't make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It's true the tablet app selection is way way better on iPad vs. Android/Windows. So much so that for now even though I absolutely LOVE the note 10.1 2014 I'm probably going to sell it and get an iPad again. I thought I could deal with the app discrepancy but it's just too much for me.

Wow its that noticeable? I have owned an android tablet for the past 2 years and I guess I don't know what I am missing. An android phone combined with an iPad lets you experience the best of both ecosystems at the same time.

The thing that is pulling me most towards the iPad is the battery life, people have been getting 13 hours of screen on time while most android tablets max out at 7 hours in mixed usage including my tablet.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There are many wonderful and cool things about Android. Like the back and menu buttons, ROMS, ho-tweaking, etc. However, app quality and quantity vs. iOS leaves much much much to be desired IME. iOS has us in that dept.

G Pro

Derrick Ray

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow its that noticeable? I have owned an android tablet for the past 2 years and I guess I don't know what I am missing. An android phone combined with an iPad lets you experience the best of both ecosystems at the same time.

The thing that is pulling me most towards the iPad is the battery life, people have been getting 13 hours of screen on time while most android tablets max out at 7 hours in mixed usage including my tablet.

Having owned 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation iPads I can attest to the fact that the battery life on that thing is absolutely incredible. It's not awful on the SGN 10.1 2014 but the two IMHO aren't even comparable.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
No, no finger print reader.

They pulled out over half the LEDs that backlight the screen. That allowed them to reduce the battery and still keep the screen time.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Someone needs to explain something to me:

iPad 4 vs iPad Air

Same exact screen.
Same exact wireless card.
Same exact RAM.
Same exact sensors, but the iPad Air has a finger print reader.
iPad Air's CPU varies in power usage from 4 watts to 12 watts depending on the load. iPad 4 varies from 4 watts to 8 watts. So iPad 4's CPU drew less power.
iOS 7 has been shown to use up more battery, then it's predecessor.

Yet, the iPad Air has a battery that's 3/4 the size of the iPad 4's and it's said to get the same amount of battery life? Is this real life lol

I haven't used the iPad Air, but this isn't physically possible. Is this just Apple's marketing machine distorting reality again?

The iPad Air does not have a fingerprint reader. At least, the one I auditioned didn't.

G Pro

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Someone needs to explain something to me:

iPad 4 vs iPad Air

Same exact screen.
Same exact wireless card.
Same exact RAM.
Same exact sensors, but the iPad Air has a finger print reader.
iPad Air's CPU varies in power usage from 4 watts to 12 watts depending on the load. iPad 4 varies from 4 watts to 8 watts. So iPad 4's CPU drew less power.
iOS 7 has been shown to use up more battery, then it's predecessor.

Yet, the iPad Air has a battery that's 3/4 the size of the iPad 4's and it's said to get the same amount of battery life? Is this real life lol

I haven't used the iPad Air, but this isn't physically possible. Is this just Apple's marketing machine distorting reality again?

Read Anandtech's review, goes into great detail about how this is possible. In a nutshell, more powerful yet more energy efficient CPU and a display that requires less power.

If Samsung is going to copy anything from Apple, this is what they need to focus on--better optimization.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen is able to maintain the same level of brightness with much less LEDs. How? Magic, I guess. But that's what they did.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
To each his own I guess. I haven't found a single app from the iPad that I miss on my Note 10. The multitasking is just plain awesome. I use that daily. The pen is great. The only two things that I guess I miss a little are the absolute smoothness of iOS and the battery life. But, iOS apps are so strangulation by the OS that is no wonder the battery lasts so long.

I agree the button locations are stupid but I've gotten used to them.

Rob

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of friends who own iPads, and not a single one of them has shown me a really cool app that want or wish I had on Android other than Flipboard, and that was ported almost two years ago. None of us are that big on gaming, so that may be one of those areas where the iPad really shines. Conversely, the iPad doesn't have the keyboards and video players I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm