Note 10 1 2014 vs new iPad air

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Anybody dissipointed with what apple came out with? New note seems a better option. More ram, better screen, sd card, more command features, better camera, bigger screen

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Anybody dissipointed with what apple came out with? New note seems a better option. More ram, better screen, sd card, more command features, better camera, bigger screen

I guess it depends on your intended usage. From a productivity standpoint, I'd say the Note 10.1 is better equipped (S-Pen and Android's intent system and file manager make it much more usable in this regard, IMO).

If you are primarily using is as a consumption device (media, web browsing, apps and games), I'd personally lean towards the iPad. Once you take away the S-Pen and it's functionality, what differentiates the Note 10.1?

- RAM is a meaningless comparison, considering how the 2 devices iOS use it so differently--iOS has always been able to do more with less and TouchWiz is still a terribly bloated beast. My RAM usage hovers around 1.7-1.8 without doing anything of significance.
- Screen? I'd call it a wash. Yes, the Note 10.1 has a higher resolution but the iPad's display is terrific even with less pixels. More pixels means more power and I'd say it's diminishing returns once you get past a certain point.
- SD card? Certainly an advantage if you like to carry around tons of media but otherwise not a huge advantage for the Note.
- Camera? I'm sorry if this offends anyone but if you expect to use your tablet to take photos, much less good photos, you're a bit misguided.
- Bigger screen? Is it? I don't have either tablet's display measurements in front of me but even though the diagonal measurement is 10.1 on the Note (vs. 9.7 for the iPad), isn't the actual surface area greater on the iPad due to its 4:3 display ratio (vs. 16:10 on the Note)? Either way it has to be pretty close. I'd say one's preference for the display ratio is of great significance.

And none of this takes into account one's OS preference.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I am. I was waiting for what Apple came out with and yes, I came out more determined to get the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. Yes, tablet apps still get a lot of support on the iPad and while Android is closing the gap, it's still not there yet. But even so, with so many frustrating things about iOS (once you've used an Android device it's pretty easy to infuriate yourself with an iOS device not letting you do what YOU want), it's now an easier choice for me. Now it's just waiting until I actually buy the Note or the reviews for an actual new Transformer Pad come out and see if it bests out the Note.

anon(5844091)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't disappointed with Apple's offering because it was the usual "Make it thinner for the sake of it" idea they always have. No interest in Apple stuff at all.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Make it thinner...and yet it's only ever so slightly thinner than the Note 10.1 (7.5mm vs 7.9mm) with much more under the hood going on with the Note. The only thing that would make a difference for me is the weight; Apple did shave off a good 60ish grams VS the Note. That may not sound like much, but when using this tablet with one hand, it becomes a difference.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Getting the iPad Air down to one pound is a pretty impressive feat. The Note 10.1 is no slouch at 1.2lbs, but that's a pretty big difference. Not enough to push it past the Note, but if Samsung hadn't slimmed down their new offering, the decision would have been closer.

But the SD card slot is huge - my media files run about 1gb an hour, so a 16gb iPad Air doesn't have the capacity I need. Don't forget my comic book library has to fit in there too.

Also, the 16:10 aspect means more viewable area and less black bars for my movies and TV shows and comic books.

Also, Android just kills iOS for flexibility. The iPad wins for tablet app availability, but I mostly use my tablet for movies, comics, and remote desktop, and Android is superior to the iPad for those.

I'm also waiting for a 12.2" tablet announcement before pulling the trigger, but the Note 10.1 is the front runner although I might stick with the Asus Transformer line (the keyboard dock is crazy useful, more than the stylus).

Last edited:

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I knew the new iPads were coming but I got my 10.1 2014 a little over a week ago. I already knew they weren't gonna have anything special (new) and iOS7 is an ugly POS that's just too limited from a practicality standpoint. As somebody else pointed out, if you're a basic consumer, the iPad may be the better choice. But if you want to actually use your tablet in lieu of a laptop, the 10.1 is the best way to go, and the main reason I chose it. I have a little 11" MacBook Air that I adore, but it's last year's model that only gets four hours of life on its battery, so it's not real practical to take traveling (via motorcycle, which is what I do most of the time).

My 10.1 isn't as fluidly smooth as iOS... it's still a bit laggy at times, but I expect that will improve over time and with software updates. Or if not, it's not really that big of a deal considering how much more useful it is. I still have my iPad 3, which I've been considering selling... but it's a 64 gb Verizon LTE model so it's still worth at least $450-500 or so based on what I've seen.

Rob

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually disagree with the iPad being a better choice for the basic comsumer. Although Touchwiz isn't ideal for us Android purists, it has made things easier for the basic consumer to easily do things, some of which you can't do with the iPad...mainly, use widgets and be able to do basic multitasking such as watch videos while browsing the web or FB or chatting, etc.

Then throw in the SD Card slot, and it's a total no-brainer. My wife can move all her music/photos/books/videos without having to do anything more than take out the card from the old and put it into the new.

I'm surprised how Apple has seems to have lost their drive to innovate...especially with Android coming up form behind...and fast! I read the other day that Apple used to account for somewhere around 65% of the tablet sales (while Android was at about 32%) last year. I don't remember the exact percentages, but I know it was around there. Anyways, this year, it's almost completely flipped around where Android tablets are in the 60's and Apple tablets are in the 30's!

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is because people want to be able to do more than show a grid of icons on their bigger screen. That may be fine for a small screen phone, but a tablet enables us to do so much more.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
To be fair to Apple, they did reduce their market share, but the Android Tablet section is widely fractured. A lot of manufacturers pitch in to this percentage so it's not a really fair comparison. If you take a manufacturer point of view, Apple still comes up on top by a wide margin.

That being said, I do prefer an Android tablet now. Sure, app content is not as popular (try to deny it as much as you want, it's true and there's no sugar-coating it) but it lets me do so much more with my device.

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought the GN10.1 2014 last night after seeing the announcement from Apple. Overall, I'm just not impressed with Apple products any more. It used to be that Apple always came out with the technology before anyone else. Their products always were always top of the line and no one else even came close. It was because they were so far ahead of the pack that they could demand so much from the consumer (i.e. having to ONLY use iTunes to transfer media on/off your device).

Things have changed and Apple is no longer the best product out there. All they've done since the first iPad/iPhone is make it faster and lighter. My experience in using their devices over the last 4 years hasn't significantly changed. There aren't that many useful things I used my Apple products for.

I find the 2014 Galaxy Note significantly more useful and easier to use. Transferring media on/off, taking notes for school and work, etc.

Overall, it comes down to what you use your tablet for. I've seen this posted 1,000 times. If you want a media consumption device, get an iPad. If you want to be productive and use it in an educational/professional setting, get the GN10.1.

bryan64613

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You guys should go and read the article in Imore comparing the new Ipad Air VS Nexus 7 VS Glaxy note Tab 10.1 VS the New kindle fire HDX VS MS Surface. Rene wrote a ton of info and videos of the new Ipad and about one paragraph of every other tablet. The guy is the biggest fanboy ever. I really love the 2014 note tab. I may considered it.

Satanico

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I am really curious. I've just sold my Nexus 10 and going for an ipad air.

There were so many things about the Nexus 10 which didn't work properly so I'll give apple a chance.

I love my HTC One and Android for phones, but I think it's just not ready for tablets.

If the ipad air doesn't work out for me, I'll probably try a note 10.1 2014.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys should go and read the article in Imore comparing the new Ipad Air VS Nexus 7 VS Glaxy note Tab 10.1 VS the New kindle fire HDX VS MS Surface. Rene wrote a ton of info and videos of the new Ipad and about one paragraph of every other tablet. The guy is the biggest fanboy ever. I really love the 2014 note tab. I may considered it.

Well, he IS an iMore editor... that should've tipped you off as to where the review was going :p

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
"Let me cherry pick five things the iPad does better and call it day."

Oh, and apparently, being "delightful" is a new spec benchmark.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm disappointed in the price of the iPad Mini and the fact that they're still selling the iPad 2 for $399. Their pricing has always been a little nuts but this is just ridiculous. If the iPad Mini had debuted at $299 or even remained at $329 it would have probably been a Christmas gift to myself. Anyway, enough rambling.

In short: Apple only disappointed me in their pricing. $$$ I'm pretty impressed with how slim and sleek everything looks. (minus the iPad 2...what's up with that?)

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised how Apple has seems to have lost their drive to innovate...especially with Android coming up form behind...and fast! I read the other day that Apple used to account for somewhere around 65% of the tablet sales (while Android was at about 32%) last year. I don't remember the exact percentages, but I know it was around there. Anyways, this year, it's almost completely flipped around where Android tablets are in the 60's and Apple tablets are in the 30's!

Yeah, but there is a ton of cheap Android junk tablets in those figures. If only high-end tablets were compared, Apple probably is still in the lead.
But there are some really nice Android tablets out now.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the much rumored 12" Note and the slightly rumored 13" ipad,,,, if the the bigger ipad does not come out I'll get the ipad Air,,, but top on my shopping list is the 12" Note.

Cheers
Davyo

Status
Not open for further replies.