Note 10 1 2014 vs new iPad air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of friends who own iPads, and not a single one of them has shown me a really cool app that want or wish I had on Android other than Flipboard, and that was ported almost two years ago. None of us are that big on gaming, so that may be one of those areas where the iPad really shines. Conversely, the iPad doesn't have the keyboards and video players I need.

AHA! That reminds me. There's something about Android that I now can't live without -- SWYPE! Good luck ever getting that on the iPhone. Maybe with a Jailbreak. I'm so totally addicted and in love with Swype (the Samsung version which has a number row above the keyboard) that I'll never use anything else. I can write as fast on that thing with one finger as I can typing with two hands on a real keyboard... and I type 120+ wpm on a bad day.

Rob

Han Solo 1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So if you didn't need the S-Pen that badly, what tablet would you prefer? iPad Air or Note 10.1?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If I didn't use the S-Pen, I'd probably go with the iPad, but it's a tough call. If I had no need of an S-Pen, that would mean that I'm not using the tablet for work or study purposes. iPad has nicer looking apps and little things that are "pretty" (like how the unlock code when you wake it up is lit up by the different colors of your wallpaper), and it's smooth and fast.

But I still wouldn't be 100% happy. Having to convert all your media to mp4 format and then load it through iTunes is SUCH a pain. Plus no expandable memory, overcharging on memory upgrades, and a locked down eco-system just doesn't cut it.

So I guess, after all is said and done, I don't know! iPad is prettier, but it's basically a huge iPhone that can't make calls.

The Note 10.1 is a real production machine.

Han Solo 1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
the iPad 4 is sitting next to my Note '14. I'm very familiar with both.

And better apps? What does that even mean? We have nearly everything they have

I'm with you for the most part on Android being better than iOS.

But since you have both, compare the best PDF reader on Android (ezPDF reader pro?) to the best one on iOS (GoodNotes) and tell me which one is more attractive, smoother in transitions and annotations, and has less lag.

It's cool that you recognize that Android is superior in most ways to iOS, but don't have blinders on. iOS blows Android out of the water on some of the most important features (PDF annotation is a huge need for many people).

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Note cost $600 for 32gb, which is comparable to the 32gb iPad Air. But I recycled my 32gb SD card from my previous tablet. That saved me $100 from going to the iPad. If I had to buy one, I'd get a 64gb SD card for $50. That would save me $150 compared to the 64gb iPad, and I'd actually have 96gb.

Han Solo 1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I use GoodNotes myself. What about it? What part of the makers of ezPDF having to cater to thousands of different variations of devices do you not understand?

I don't pretend to understand all of the ways that software plays with hardware. But to have a beast with 3GB of RAM and one of the fastest processors on the market LAG with a simple PDF app, while the iPad 3, 4, or Air, with modest hardware specs, flies through its apps, it's just crazy. Is it because iOS doesn't really multi-task as much as Android, and that's why it doesn't lag as much?

I don't know the answers. I'm an attorney, not a software engineer. But to have Android freeze and lag after all this time, it's borderline unacceptable. The whole "software for 1000 devices" argument is the typical fall-back. Figure it out, Android.

Don't tell me how tough the labor was, just show me the baby.

skramer49

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both devices and use both. The iPad Air is, for me, primarily a consumption device, although that is changing with the Note's sd card storage and ease of use of media without iTunes.
The Note is my workhorse. Spen with the Wacom digitizer can't be beat for accuracy and versatility. And coupled with true multitasking with multiple apps on screen simultaneously and the ability to easily drag and drop content between apps makes it the winner for me.
I recently switched from an iPhone 4S to a Note 3, and that led the way.
IOS no longer has the killer apps for me. At least none that I can't find suitable replacements for in Jelly Bean. And the Spen functions have no match in IOS.

Derrick Ray

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
AHA! That reminds me. There's something about Android that I now can't live without -- SWYPE! Good luck ever getting that on the iPhone. Maybe with a Jailbreak. I'm so totally addicted and in love with Swype (the Samsung version which has a number row above the keyboard) that I'll never use anything else. I can write as fast on that thing with one finger as I can typing with two hands on a real keyboard... and I type 120+ wpm on a bad day.

Rob
I loved SWYPE! also but then realized why it's necessary. Android keyboards are, in my experience, just plain God awful. Never understood why SWYPE was so accurate but actually trying to type on an android keyboard is an abysmal nightmare. The keyboard in iOS is very accurate and I find that even with large hands I type the letter or number I want 9/10 times easily.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I loved SWYPE! also but then realized why it's necessary. Android keyboards are, in my experience, just plain God awful. Never understood why SWYPE was so accurate but actually trying to type on an android keyboard is an abysmal nightmare. The keyboard in iOS is very accurate and I find that even with large hands I type the letter or number I want 9/10 times easily.

I do agree that for some reason I can't discern the iOS keyboard is generally more accurate. Not exactly sure why, it just is.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me make it clear -- if the iPad Air didn't weigh 1lb, this wouldn't even be a contest. Note 10.1 versus iPad 4 is a no-brainer for me.

knuck1111

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I currently own both of these tablets, the 32 gb. octa-core Exynos version of the Note and the 128 gb. version of the Air. During the last week I have noted several differences that I will list below. By way of background, I am a Note 3 user and am not a fan of the iPhone, although I have owned a few in the past. I have, however, been an iPad and Mac user for many years. So far I have not found a worthy Android tablet competitor. I was hoping that the Note 10.1 2014 edition would change that. Now that you are aware of my biases I will list the differences I have discovered:

1. The ipad is lighter and for my hands is slightly more ergonomic to hold;
  2. Battery life appears to be significantly better on the ipad although this may vary depending on the services you have turned on ie bluetooth etc;
  3. The Air appears to be smoother, quicker and more refined. Although on paper, as evidenced by several benchmark scores posted around the internet, the Galaxy should be quicker, I did not find this to be the case. For some reason, the Note has noticable lag, often when opening applications. I also experienced some stutter when scrolling. These issues did not show up on the ipad ;
  4. The Air was significantly quicker surfing the web. I performed several tests using various Android browsers including the native internet browser, Chrome, Dolphin and Maxthon. Of the Android browsers Maxthon was the quickest although it had issues typing on websites such as this one. It was very difficult to get the cursor to appear at a desired location. This was not an issue with the other browsers. Safari on the iPad was significantly quicker in most tests. Basically I opened several internet pages simultaneously on both devices. In some cases Safari was twice as quick opening the same page. I ran a Ookla speed test. Both devices achieved similar download scores on my network so that was not the cause. I am not sure if this is related to the lag problem or if Safari is a superior browser. I expect the former as many have reported browsers such as Chrome to be superior to Safari;
  5. Both screens are outstanding. In portrait orientation, the Air may be slightly more ergonomic as a result of its 4:3 aspect ratio. In landscape, I preferred the Note, especially when viewing 16:9 material. The Note in this orientation is noticeably larger and watching video was more enjoyable;
  6. I prefer the speakers on the Note to the iPad although I rarely use them as I mostly use headphones. I prefer the sound of the Galaxy through the headphone jack as well. Although very subjective, I noted a more open and detailed sound with more refined bass with the Note through the same headphones playing the same source material;
  7. The Air lacks multitasking which the Galaxy excels at if you use the native applications. You can have up to 6 apps running simultateously on the same screen. Unfortunately all apps are not supported. The air does, as a result of its intuitive operating system as mentioned above, allow you to quickly move from one screen to the other. Although not as useful as true multitasking it does narrow the gap somewhat;
  8. The Note has an external memory slot for up to 64gb. of additional memory allowing for a possible total of 128gb. The iPad obviously does not and to get the full 128gb. results in a more expensive tablet. So if cost and storage is an issue, the Galaxy has the potential to be the less expensive alternative;
  9. One of the main reasons for choosing the Galaxy over the Air would be for those who require or prefer the use of a pen. I have not used or researched third party options for the ipad. I would doubt that if any viable third party options existed they would integrate as well as the sPen does;
  10. The Note has Swype, the iPad doesn't;
  11. The iPad has considerably more tablet designed apps available, at least for now; and
  12. You can run Flash on the Note but not on the iPad.

Has anyone been able to find this update:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Software Update (multiple user accounts) - YouTube

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
- TouchWiz. I personally despise it. I initially though it was better on the Note 10.1 vs. Samsung's phones because of the larger screen real estate (large cartoonish design less irritating on a larger display), it's performance wore me down. It's a bloated mess, using 1.7-1.8 GB RAM right after startup. And yes, there's lag. It's not stop in the My Magazine app, very prominent in Gallery and rears it's ugly head occasionally throughout all other areas.
- Android tablet apps still have a long ways to go to match iOS. Some users may not have issues as they have all of the apps they need but many of the one's I use are either subpar to their iOS counterparts or simply don't exist.

g.

Totally agree. been android on phone all along, but wanted to leave the ios dark side ipad. Decided to jump on Galaxy 10.1 2014, but after 2 weeks of Toucbwiz bloat and big as well as the inferior android tablet apps and I am ready to jump back to the ipad. I may try the new Google Nexus 10 update when it ships, but the Samsung goes back.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. been android on phone all along, but wanted to leave the ios dark side ipad. Decided to jump on Galaxy 10.1 2014, but after 2 weeks of Toucbwiz bloat and big as well as the inferior android tablet apps and I am ready to jump back to the ipad. I may try the new Google Nexus 10 update when it ships, but the Samsung goes back.
iOS has the app quality in my opinion, and the hardware is nice too. It's just that iOS is severely gimped in its attempt to keep everything in the walled garden. There is, IMO, however, a quality to a lot of iOS apps that I have not been fortunate enough to find in the Play Store. I'll keep looking.

Rtbar1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Returned the note and got the air, I am happier simply because I prefer the aspect ratio, a note with a 4:3 ratio would be perfect

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Returned the note and got the air, I am happier simply because I prefer the aspect ratio, a note with a 4:3 ratio would be perfect

Hey, if that's what makes you happy, great! The iPad Air is a heck of a nice piece of work. I think we can all agree on that; it's just an individual preference thing over iOS.

I had been thinking about returning my Note 10.1, but I changed my mind because I like it too much.

Rob

albogs

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

I did the same for a few reasons. First the Note10.1 2014 felt less solid then previous iPads I owned. Also some of my favorite apps either aren't optimized on android yet or are done so in a poor manner. I also missed pages syncing with my macbook,imessages, and face time as I own an iPhone. But alas my decision was made when the screen went black and failed to turn back on, so I returned it to Amazon.

I went out and bought the new iPad Air and kept it for a whole day before returning it.

Going from Samsungs UI back to iOS is like replacing a tablet with a toy. Sure the device is sturdier and the iPad Airs form factor is AMAZING. But apple offers no real multitasking, no minimized video playing over other apps, no pen like stylus, no easy downloading and unzipping, no sd card slot... The list goes on. So back to the apple store my new iPad went with great disappointment in apples lack of software innovation.

So the decision then became to go with the 8 inch note which has great reviews and all the additional functionality I was beginning to miss or trying again with the 10.1 2014 edition hoping my first was a dud. I looked through online forums and reviews and didnt notice any posts with experiences similar to mine. So since best buy now has there extended Christmas return period into January I decided to try again.

Fingers crossed as I'm loving using this thing and hoping it holds up and apps begin to catch up as more users adopt android tablets.

I am still an apple fan girl rocking an iPhone and Macbook Air, but after using this device iPads feel like toys.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The difference between iOS and Android can be quite jarring and the more you tune and customize Android the worse iOS tends to feel IME.

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol