Note 10 1 2014 vs new iPad air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Air is a great piece of kit, no doubt - I played around with one in the local Apple store and I was impressed by it's screen and general snappiness. Certainly a lot smoother than my current Nexus 7 (2012) but even my old iPad 2 (now my girlfriend's) feels a bit smoother.

However, my decision to upgrade from the Nexus 7, which I use mainly for watching movies/tv shows on long flights, is based around the ability to take notes with the S-pen. If there had been a decent/accurate pen option with the iPad Air, it would potentially have been my primary choice but it doesn;t so it was a no-brainer for me.

So I have ordered the Note 10.1 2014 32Gb as my new tablet, I have a fairly new Dell XPS 12 hybrid Windows 8.1 device as my laptop and an iPhone 4s.. I'm the very antithesis of a fanboy :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Air is a great piece of kit, no doubt - I played around with one in the local Apple store and I was impressed by it's screen and general snappiness. Certainly a lot smoother than my current Nexus 7 (2012) but even my old iPad 2 (now my girlfriend's) feels a bit smoother.

However, my decision to upgrade from the Nexus 7, which I use mainly for watching movies/tv shows on long flights, is based around the ability to take notes with the S-pen. If there had been a decent/accurate pen option with the iPad Air, it would potentially have been my primary choice but it doesn;t so it was a no-brainer for me.

So I have ordered the Note 10.1 2014 32Gb as my new tablet, I have a fairly new Dell XPS 12 hybrid Windows 8.1 device as my laptop and an iPhone 4s.. I'm the very antithesis of a fanboy :)

You should try PenUltimate for the iPad. Now THAT is a nice program. For me, that gives Samsung's solutions some serious competition.

Nexuscillin V

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Let me make it clear -- if the iPad Air didn't weigh 1lb, this wouldn't even be a contest. Note 10.1 versus iPad 4 is a no-brainer for me.

I don't understand why so many people keep bringing up the weight for the iPad Air. Probably because that's what Apple stressed over and over and over when it came out, instead of telling anybody specs like the 1 GB RAM. But the iPad Air weighs 1lb and the Note 10.1 2014 weighs 1.1lbs...

Posted via Note 10.1 2014

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Note is 1.19lbs. Can you feel the 19% difference in weight? Yes. Is the Note "heavy"? By no means. As a matter of fact, the Note is .1 lbs lighter than most 10" Android tablets (only the Xperia Tablet Z comes to mind, which clocks in at 1.09lbs). But if the iPad were still 1.46lbs, the iPad wouldn't even be in contention.

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Weight doesnt bother me in a tablet considering I have been using a motorola Xoom for the past 3 years and that tablet is 1.7lbs without a case. I have had the thing in a otterbox defender until recently and with the case it was tipping the scales at a good 3lbs.

If you can't hold 2-3lbs for extended periods of time, something must be wrong. After using a xoom, even the heaviest tablet in todays market is light in comparison.

The iPad Air really does feel like air to me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Even though I am moving from an iPad 3 (not iPad Air) to the Note 10.1 (2014), thought I might post some experiences.
People must be getting some very diverse experiences with this tablet, noting the many comments on lag. For me, I don't have any lag that I am concerned with (noting below set up).
  • Very snappy and responsive, more so than my old iPad 3. iOS7 really annoyed me, and seemed a slow down. Maybe lots of the initial comments were on the wifi model with the lower spec processor.
  • people tend to talk about build quality vs ipad. Again, I have no issues there. The unit I have seems well constructed and quite solid. No issues I can see
  • lots of talk on here about rooting and customs roms. The only real reason I want to root this is to enable titanium backup. Kies is not so good, but that appears to be the only option if not rooted
On opening, I immediately downloaded the two updates, hard reset (per advice) and then loaded Nova Prime. Then enabled developer mode and made the usual changes to speed. This immediately gave very strong performance. I didn't use TW at all given the comments (and my previous experience on my GS4).
Given I have had 3 iPads in a row, the use of widgets and the flexibility of android is a revelation! Key features I am enjoying:
  • Using TouchDown HD for mail ? very full featured and customisable. Tablet mode works well
  • S pen and s note for handwritten notes ? I didn?t initially understand the difference between text recognition on the iPad vs the GN10.1 (with digitiser). Amazing difference in quality and speed of recognition
  • Sync of s note to Evernote ? S note is really my note taking ?front end?, with the notes being stored in Evernote (for access across all devices)
  • SyncMe to sync my work documents from my laptop to the GN10.1 ? I used the paid version that allows me to automatically sync each night. Great option if you just want a direct wifi sync, not cloud.
  • Polaris (for office files) ? comes free with the GN10.1 ? so much better than the viewers found on the iPad ? you can actually edit documents! Only missing feature appears to be the ability to show mark up of documents.
  • Multiple widgets ? given I really use this for work, having calendar, mail, tasks, tripit widgets all on the front page can be so much more productive. You can really get on with the day at a glance, rather than opening up many apps
  • Multiple screens ? this works really well. The feature I like the most is when you open a document in my email (TouchDown) it immediately opens a new screen side by side with the email.
Only downsides so far:
  • Tablet apps are really not as well designed as they are for iPad. Most of the ones I use are ok, but some clearly need UI design work. I suspect that another 6-12 months will allow android developers to catch up
  • Missing a seamless backup solution like iCloud ? you can do it, but it?s not quite as simple
  • lack of iMessage style functionality, although I have moved to Viber which seems quite good
Overall I am very impressed with this. I suspect much of the reaction is due to the iOS to Android move though.

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
yes. preferred a solution that didn't require everyone to register a google account.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk 4

Oh I didn't thin about that. But same thing for iMessage, really, it's just they already signed up for Apple account

Posted via Note 10.1 2014

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I owned the iPad4 and 5. Mostly used those devices for email, web surfing and reading. Frankly, that's about all the capabilities the iPad has. Bought the Note 2014 hoping it would have more useful work application. I'm fairly sure I'm going to take it back.

There's a lot to like about the Note. Incredible screen although I prefer the iPad aspect ratio. Not a huge deal. I like the flexibility. Widgets are nice. I love that I can use swype, great keyboard solution IMHO. SD Card very nice. However, even after following the advice here to a T and turning virtually everything off, it is a battery hog. That beautiful screen and all those capabilities hardly matter when you have to keep them all disabled. Even so, it still won't compare battery wise to my iPad5 that is a year old. That's probably the deal breaker right there. The back key, reset key and I guess search key on the left long side has to be one of the stupidest ergonomic cluster F's I've seen. I've not been able to find a way to disable any of them. I'd certainly disable to search function key.

Wifi is very funky. I have an extender out in the man cave. Sometimes the Note works on it, sometimes not. Overall, it simply doesn't have the range for picking up a wifi signal the iPad has. Very disappointing and a big concern since it isn't offered with a cellular radio. This is the second biggest deal breaker. The Samsung bloatware is obscene. Again, without rooting, I haven't seen a way to get rid of it.

Finally, the primary upgrade I was looking for was the S pen. Nice but also disappointing. Unbelievably slow. I can't believe the lags and stutters. Given the hardware processing power this device has, this must mean the software is just written incredibly inefficiently. While the S Pen functionality sounds enticing, once reality set in with this device and the slow, stuttering responses, I'm not finding it very usable for real business needs. My handwriting is quite need yet I find the translation to be lacking substantially. The S Voice tool versus the iPad voice recognition is nowhere close.

Despite all this, I really want the Note to work. I am tired of Apple sitting on their **** and not making any significant enhancements to new products. I simply don't see evidence that is a long term platform that will work for me. I bought at Best Buy so I have until mid Jan to take the Note back. I'm going to give it a fair chance to succeed. If it doesn't, I'll look at a Windows Tablet to come out with digitizer pen capabilities or continue to monitor Android progress. No, the Surface doesn't qualify. That isn't a tablet, that abomination is a laptop in my opinion.

I bought a couple of Tablet PC's in the late 90's, early 2000. It is rather sad to see the lack of progress with pen based computing in the past 10 years. It's encouraging to see Samsung make an honest effort with it and perhaps with a few iterations will get it right. It might help if they would do some market surveys with real business people to determine how they might use it. Given how it is designed now, it seems obvious they didn't get any market input from the business sector or totally ignored it if they did.

BTW, even if I take the Note 10.1 2014 back, I'm giving serious consideration to replacing my iPhone 5 with the Note 3. Love the form factor and big screen. I have serious concerns though after reading reviews on Verizon which is my carrier. Seems to be an unusually high number of reviews knocking the Note 3 signal strength/reception and call clarity. My first need as a phone is just that, that it work great as a phone. While the iOS has lots of limitations, I must give it to Apple, the 4S and 5 have been incredible phones. I switched over from a Motorola dual core device, I think it was the Droid2 maybe? It was the worst cell phone I ever had, simply rancid. I had a number replaced by Verizon and they all had problems. I finally just paid out of pocket for the iPhone as the Motorola device was unbearable. Makes me a bit hesitant to switch back again when I'm seeing bad reviews.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I owned the iPad4 and 5. Mostly used those devices for email, web surfing and reading. Frankly, that's about all the capabilities the iPad has. Bought the Note 2014 hoping it would have more useful work application. I'm fairly sure I'm going to take it back.

There's a lot to like about the Note. Incredible screen although I prefer the iPad aspect ratio. Not a huge deal. I like the flexibility. Widgets are nice. I love that I can use swype, great keyboard solution IMHO. SD Card very nice. However, even after following the advice here to a T and turning virtually everything off, it is a battery hog. That beautiful screen and all those capabilities hardly matter when you have to keep them all disabled. Even so, it still won't compare battery wise to my iPad5 that is a year old. That's probably the deal breaker right there. The back key, reset key and I guess search key on the left long side has to be one of the stupidest ergonomic cluster F's I've seen. I've not been able to find a way to disable any of them. I'd certainly disable to search function key.

Wifi is very funky. I have an extender out in the man cave. Sometimes the Note works on it, sometimes not. Overall, it simply doesn't have the range for picking up a wifi signal the iPad has. Very disappointing and a big concern since it isn't offered with a cellular radio. This is the second biggest deal breaker. The Samsung bloatware is obscene. Again, without rooting, I haven't seen a way to get rid of it.

Finally, the primary upgrade I was looking for was the S pen. Nice but also disappointing. Unbelievably slow. I can't believe the lags and stutters. Given the hardware processing power this device has, this must mean the software is just written incredibly inefficiently. While the S Pen functionality sounds enticing, once reality set in with this device and the slow, stuttering responses, I'm not finding it very usable for real business needs. My handwriting is quite need yet I find the translation to be lacking substantially. The S Voice tool versus the iPad voice recognition is nowhere close.

Despite all this, I really want the Note to work. I am tired of Apple sitting on their **** and not making any significant enhancements to new products. I simply don't see evidence that is a long term platform that will work for me. I bought at Best Buy so I have until mid Jan to take the Note back. I'm going to give it a fair chance to succeed. If it doesn't, I'll look at a Windows Tablet to come out with digitizer pen capabilities or continue to monitor Android progress. No, the Surface doesn't qualify. That isn't a tablet, that abomination is a laptop in my opinion.

I bought a couple of Tablet PC's in the late 90's, early 2000. It is rather sad to see the lack of progress with pen based computing in the past 10 years. It's encouraging to see Samsung make an honest effort with it and perhaps with a few iterations will get it right. It might help if they would do some market surveys with real business people to determine how they might use it. Given how it is designed now, it seems obvious they didn't get any market input from the business sector or totally ignored it if they did.

BTW, even if I take the Note 10.1 2014 back, I'm giving serious consideration to replacing my iPhone 5 with the Note 3. Love the form factor and big screen. I have serious concerns though after reading reviews on Verizon which is my carrier. Seems to be an unusually high number of reviews knocking the Note 3 signal strength/reception and call clarity. My first need as a phone is just that, that it work great as a phone. While the iOS has lots of limitations, I must give it to Apple, the 4S and 5 have been incredible phones. I switched over from a Motorola dual core device, I think it was the Droid2 maybe? It was the worst cell phone I ever had, simply rancid. I had a number replaced by Verizon and they all had problems. I finally just paid out of pocket for the iPhone as the Motorola device was unbearable. Makes me a bit hesitant to switch back again when I'm seeing bad reviews.

You probably have a rogue app causing issues. My pen works great without any lag. Either that, or you got a defective device. The other thing to check is your sd card. You could have an incompatible or defective one that is slowing the device down even when you're not writing to the card

I have a Note 3 on Verizon, and it is also great. Haven't noticed signal issues or dropped calls. Both of these devices really outshine ios devices. They're children's play by comparison. Quite literally

Posted via Android Central App

GAH05

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Before you return it, try reset to factory defaults and start fresh to see if that helps. I presume you will reset before returning anyways.

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You probably have a rogue app causing issues. My pen works great without any lag. Either that, or you got a defective device. The other thing to check is your sd card. You could have an incompatible or defective one that is slowing the device down even when you're not writing to the card

I have a Note 3 on Verizon, and it is also great. Haven't noticed signal issues or dropped calls. Both of these devices really outshine ios devices. They're children's play by comparison. Quite literally

If it is a rogue app, must be one that comes preinstalled as I haven't downloaded any apps yet. No SD Card loaded yet. Perhaps you should quit drinking the koolaid long enough to read some reviews out there. The lagging, stuttering pen is something complained about by quite a few people who've purchased the system. Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones. One has to question a product that is so inconsistent.

Thanks for the review of the Note 3 but you have zero credibility given the remarks you made. iOS may have limitations but there's this funny thing about it. It just works. Easy to set up, easy to upgrade and easy to use.

[inappropriate content deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Before you return it, try reset to factory defaults and start fresh to see if that helps. I presume you will reset before returning anyways.

Thanks, I 'll give that a try. Hate to have to go through the entire set up again. Is that something you routinely have to do with an Android device? I seem to recall Verizon had me doing that crap all the time to trouble shoot the problems with their Droid phones.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that the participants here take the opportunity to review the AC forum rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If it is a rogue app, must be one that comes preinstalled as I haven't downloaded any apps yet. No SD Card loaded yet. Perhaps you should quit drinking the koolaid long enough to read some reviews out there. The lagging, stuttering pen is something complained about by quite a few people who've purchased the system. Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones. One has to question a product that is so inconsistent.

Thanks for the review of the Note 3 but you have zero credibility given the remarks you made. iOS may have limitations but there's this funny thing about it. It just works. Easy to set up, easy to upgrade and easy to use.

[inappropriate content deleted by moderator]

I have plenty of credibility, thank you. I've owned almost every apple device there is, and still do, and own both Android devices in question. My 13 year old has an iPhone and ipad that I have to manage, and it works fine for him, although even he complains of the constraints of ios. If ios appears to "just work", it is probably because you are fine with the limitations that Apple has convinced you to accept.

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'll be more specific. After your recommendations that had absolutely no validity and your comments regarding iOS, you have zero credibility with me. No, I'm not necessarily fine with the limitations built in by the iOS but I'm less fine when basic, essential functions (such as battery life and lags/stuttering) are problematic. I've never understood the rationale of sacrificing reliability and capability to perform essential tasks in lieu of having more flexibility and so called functionality that really doesn't work well. Obviously, given the popularity and market share, there is a demand for the Android out there. I hope someday, the Android device makers focus on nailing the basic functionality as the first priority. There are a lot of things I like about the Android OS, I simply can't tolerate all the fidgeting around you seem to have to do to keep the thing running in a reasonable manner.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'll be more specific. After your recommendations that had absolutely no validity and your comments regarding iOS, you have zero credibility with me. No, I'm not necessarily fine with the limitations built in by the iOS but I'm less fine when basic, essential functions (such as battery life and lags/stuttering) are problematic. I've never understood the rationale of sacrificing reliability and capability to perform essential tasks in lieu of having more flexibility and so called functionality that really doesn't work well. Obviously, given the popularity and market share, there is a demand for the Android out there. I hope someday, the Android device makers focus on nailing the basic functionality as the first priority. There are a lot of things I like about the Android OS, I simply can't tolerate all the fidgeting around you seem to have to do to keep the thing running in a reasonable manner.

Whatever dude. The problems you're complaining about aren't widespread. Mine does not have the issues you're complaining about. So, either format the device and start over fresh, or return it as defective for another one.

hoosier_mac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Whatever dude. The problems you're complaining about aren't widespread. Mine does not have the issues you're complaining about. So, either format the device and start over fresh, or return it as defective for another one.

Actually "DUDE", why don't you simply go to the Best Buy web site and read some reviews. If you have rose colored glasses on, I suppose it masks reality for you. Thanks for the orders Commandant, please hold your breath while I consider them.

Status
Not open for further replies.