(how?) Miracast on Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) AND/OR mirror screen to HDTV

b3grooves

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
assuming the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition is Miracast capable / certified ... are there Miracast receivers available that plug into a Hi-Def "non-WiFi capable" television HDMI port that will allow "screen mirror" from the tablet to, e.g. provide streaming from the Hulu + app on the tablet to play (mirror) on the HDTV big screen ...has anyone managed to accomplish this ? or a similar scenario ? spoke with Samsung tech support tonight via "live chat" and was told by tech that a "wired" solution not possible ... Thanks for any ideas ...

Last edited:

b3grooves

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
chromecast it is that I will certainly try ... Thanksgiving it is that will delay the try for a day ... will certainly relay results on the Fri eve after ... Thanks So Much

Striker101960

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a roku and a bluray player that have a bunch of apps already but the feature of sending a movie from my tab sounds even better. I guess for $35 I can't really go wrong and if I get it from walmart I can take it back if I don't like it

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Main issue is that Chromecast only has a limited # of apps right now. Still, it fits the need if ur missing Netflix/Hulu on ur TV. Doesn't do actual screen mirroring. But u can do other things while ur stuff is playing.

For actual screen mirroring, I have the Samsung hub. In case I want to play Pictionary or something.

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

mugenakuma

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Main issue is that Chromecast only has a limited # of apps right now. Still, it fits the need if ur missing Netflix/Hulu on ur TV. Doesn't do actual screen mirroring. But u can do other things while ur stuff is playing.

For actual screen mirroring, I have the Samsung hub. In case I want to play Pictionary or something.

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

Hey Dazo, how do you like that Samsung Hub? I've heard mixed reviews about it, specifically that it has connection issues and only displays the video/picture in 720p? I just saw that Newegg.com has this Miracast and Allshare compatible IOGEAR brand device, which releases on 12/20/2013. This lists that it does display video/picture in 1080p, yet I'm not sure how well the 10.1 2014 tablet will work with this device.
Newegg.com - IOGEAR Wireless Mobile and PC to HDTV GWAVR

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Be just a bit aware of what Chromecast can and cant do, and dont listen to the tv ads, they are a bit misleading. That said I have 2 chromecasts and they are a useful and well priced device.

What it can do, and does rather well is cast from Netflix, Hulu, HBOgo, Pandora, and Google Play. I dont have any google play movies yet, but it casts my 5000+ library of my music uploaded to my google play music cloud, beautifully.

What it does NOT do, at least not from an android device , for now, is cast from a web browser, even from Chrome, it does not cast your own pictures or your own videos. It can cast from a Windows based PC, but not Android, how does THAT make any sense, but such is life.

Also, the set up can be tricky. I have set up 2 so far, and apparantly if you try to set it up with a cell phone it gets confused between accessing the wifi, its internal chromecast network, and the data network of the phone. I know now, I have to set it up initially with either an android wifi only tablet. , or a PC. But once its set up, its easy and cool to control from a cell phone.

I think its a very new device, and not fully matured yet, but knowing its put out by google, Im betting it will take off like a rocket, and have more and more apps as time goes by. HBOgo is new to it, and works great!

b3grooves

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
So I went with the Chromecast and it works as advertised ... casts Hulu, Netflix, etc with the tablet acting as a "remote" ... all well and good. BUT !!! does not mirror screen (for anything other than Hulu, Netflix, etc) so Chromecast does NOT work with Galay Note 10.1 2014 for screen mirror. Also, when the mirror screen function is activated and it says "scanning for devices" ... just what "devices" is it scanning for ?? a specific "Samsung" smart-tv model perhaps ?? if so, could Samsung show that information ANYWHERE on any of their websites ?? really ?? a scavenger hunt for information ... really ??

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes it scans for a Samsung smart TV F series on the same network as the tablet. The miracast works totally independent of the chromecast. Chromecast will cast it's apps to the TV From the tablet, but the chrome browser will only cast from a widows 7 /8 and Apple OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and chrome os, so far.

The Samsung link/allshare app share can send your photos, video and music to a Samsung smart TV before the f series.

Last edited:

Mrteeth

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Netgear Push2TV PT3000. You hook up this device to your TV via HDMI. The box itself is no bigger than a business card. Then once you plug in the box, you can turn on Mirrorcast on your Tablet or Smart phone and you'll see it displayed on the TV. I have one. It works well with both my Samsung GS4 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

The only problem is that I use my Onkyo receiver for sound. I cannot get this to pass through my Onkyo HDMI slots. I have to plug it directly through the TV, then send the sound back to the receiver via either optical or ARC (which I haven't experiment with yet).

Ty diehl

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
the netgear push2tv works well for screen mirroring but doesnt work with the samsung galaxy not 10.1 2014 edition... works fine on everything esle i have tried though.

Robert Gibson

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I have used screen mirroring with the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 and the PTV3000 fw 2.4.26.

Connection between the Note and a Linksys E3000 router about 20 feet away is mediocre using Wifi n. I have tried 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz and rarely get better than 64k. So, the miracast connection has been unsatisfactory. Netflix playback stutters like frames are being dropped and when playing Plants vs Zombies 2 the screen update gets corrupted and then freezes. Sound keeps on working. Mirroring has to be stopped and started again when that happens.

From the same physical position, an Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9 gets a 102 Mbps 2.4GHz connection and Netflix playback is smooth through the PTV3000. Plants vs Zombies 2 isn't available from Amazon so I'll need to try another game when I have a moment.

mugenakuma

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried the Netgear Push2tv and it was horribly unreliable. I recently purchased the iOgear GWAVR from Newegg and it works beautifully with my older Panasonic Plasma TV that doesn't have wifi.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy