More on the bluetooth keyboard failing

surenmoodliar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I checked with tech support via their live online chat system. After a long exchange (reproduced below), they tech support person said that the Note 10.1 2014 is NOT compatible with any keyboard. I wish that they would have stated so on their tech support site. Here's the transcript (minus a few personal details):

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Adam P'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTKXXXXXXXXXXXX
Adam P: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Suren: I am checking for a solution to a bluetooth keyboard problem on my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 16GB
Adam P: I will be glad to assist you.
Adam P: Please proceed with your question.
Suren: I have tried 3 separate keyboards that work with other devices including Android ones
Suren: none of them stay connected long enough to type anything
Suren: it keeps connecting and disconnecting
Adam P: I understand your concern with this issue.
Adam P: Could you please provide me with the model code of the device? It is located on the rear panel of the device.
Suren: I noticed on several forums that this is a common problem
Suren: P6000ZKYXAR
Suren: SM-P6000ZKYXAR
Adam P: Thank you for the model code.
Adam P: Just to confirm; are you using genuine samsung keyboard?
Suren: no
Suren: is there a samsung keyboard for this device?
Adam P: I am afraid; currently samsung has no bluetooth keyboards in market.
Adam P: Is your Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 able to connect to the bluetooth with any other tablet or mobile?
Suren: So that kind of answers your question
Suren: I can check with my galaxy note phone
Suren: first version
Suren: should i do so now
Adam P: Sure. Please proceed.
Suren: okay, I paired it with a google nexus 7
Suren: how do I test if it works
Suren: ?
Adam P: Please try to transfer some data.
Suren: how do i transfer some data
Adam P: Please click on the link below to get the transfer information.
Adam P: How To Transfer Pictures To The Galaxy Tab
Adam P: Are you able to access the link?
Suren: Okay: I transferred a photo via bluetooth
Adam P: Okay. I see that the bluetooth is working good. There might be a problem with the keyboard. Please contact the keyboard support for further assistance.
Suren: SOrry: keyboardS works fine with nexus 7 and several other devices
Suren: including windows 8
Suren: other people are also having this problem with the Galaxy 10.1 2014
Suren: Please provide 1 bluetooth keyboard that does work with the Galaxy 10.1 2014
Adam P: Currently samsung is working on that and will be launching a product as early as possible. It could a keyboard limitation which is the issue for not connecting to this device. I recommend you to contact the keyboard support to detect the problem.
Suren: The keyboards work! Just not with your product.
Adam P: I understand. The problem is the compatibility between both these devices.
Suren: So is there ONE keyboard that does work?
Adam P: I am afraid; we don't have a keyboard so far.
Suren: Is there any keyboard anywhere on the planet that does work?
Adam P: However; a keyboard will be launched as early as possible.
Suren: I know you don't have one but is there another manufacturer that does
Adam P: Currently; we don't have a keyboard for this device.
Suren: Does some other manufacturer have one?
Adam P: I am afraid; no.
Suren: Why did you ask me if I was using a "genuine Samsung keyboard" to start with?
Adam P: We do have keyboard for other devices. I was just confirming with that.
Adam P: *keyboards
Suren: Thanks.

Cody Spradlin

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
"tech support" is rarely that. It's usually someone hired in the manner of a call center to use a basic knowledgebase program to answer questions. He got several things wrong, as some of those "keyboards for other devices" are BLUETOOTH KEYBOARDS. Hell, they make a Galaxy-series bluetooth keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards are not designed for single devices--so is the nature of the interface itself. There are people currently using all manner of keyboards for this device and other devices. Current reports are Logitech K810s, Apple keyboards, Microsoft keyboards (Wedge, specifically), and a couple people even using the various Samsung bluetooth keyboards.

I suggest hitting XDA for technical problems, really. I had the same issue and got it fixed in SECONDS. Go to your setting, and get ready to get into your input options. Connect the keyboard, then go into input options, You should have a slider for "hide onscreen keyboard when connected". If you slide it to on, the Samsung keyboard doesn't pop up when the bluetooth keyboard is connected, which has fixed the problem for me. IT seems the stock keyboard and the bluetooth keyboard fighting for input causes disconnections. It's not perfect, I still get the occasional disconnect, but it has worked better than any other option so far. And really, it's more of an Android problem than a Samsung problem. Hopefully 4.4 has fixed it, but the current iteration being used underneath Touchwiz has issues.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While that tech support chat is very bad hehe I also think you misread it a bit... They don't mean there's no keyboard that works with the Note 10.1 2014, just that the tech support rep doesn't see one MADE BY SAMSUNG specifically for this tablet. And of course they don't have one (they take enough time to get the covers out, imagine a specific keyboard :p). But yes, no excuse, this tablet's firmware along with a still-not-crushed bug in Android 4.3 prevents some keyboards from working properly. And like another post says, some units are affected, some aren't...

willernest

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Cody, I haven't been able to find "hide onscreen keyboard when connected" in input options. The closest I can find is "language and input". No such slider there. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just wish someone comes up with a Surface Keyboard cover clone for this tablet :) That's the only thing I find appealing on a Surface, and would love to have something similar on my Android one.

GPilot650

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
So I did a self test. Bought a second 10.1 2014. Keyboard pairs without fail, no glitches, no cutout, nuffin.

Ummm... Sending the other back.

-g-

rauserka

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Following Debbie's response from above, I purchased a Microsoft Wedge keyboard from Office Depot yesterday for my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition. The keyboard was immediately paired with the tablet after I turned it on and I did not notice connection issues or lag when typing. I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks Debbie

Cody Spradlin

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Cody, I haven't been able to find "hide onscreen keyboard when connected" in input options. The closest I can find is "language and input". No such slider there. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
It only appears while the keyboard is connected, and it is in the "popup" menu when selecting which keyboard you wish you use. Get ready to open the menu to select the keyboard, connect the bluetooth keyboard, open the menu and change the slider's position before the keyboard cuts out.
Note 10.1 2014 as a laptop replacement? Surprisingly close. - xda-developers
Example is the very first picture.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For those of you that have the Microsoft Wedge Keyboard, does the keyboard cover that turns into a stand have multiple angles? Or does it just latch onto a single one? Also, is it reliable? Hehehe from the pictures the concept looks cool, but it seems like it's just a bendable slither of plastic holding the two halves of the cover together, so what's it preventing it from sliding open and letting my tablet fall on the table with all the typing vibration?

Cody Spradlin

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
For those of you that have the Microsoft Wedge Keyboard, does the keyboard cover that turns into a stand have multiple angles? Or does it just latch onto a single one? Also, is it reliable? Hehehe from the pictures the concept looks cool, but it seems like it's just a bendable slither of plastic holding the two halves of the cover together, so what's it preventing it from sliding open and letting my tablet fall on the table with all the typing vibration?
It's not plastic. It feels like a bendable metal, like a flexible splint would be made of. You can bend it to any angle (or "close" it onto the tablet to fix it into place fairly well, at only a single angle). On the other hand, what typing vibration? While I'm using the Wedge, I tend to use a surface for holding the propped up Note wherever I most like it to be, and type with the keyboard wherever most comfortable to do so (often my lap) And even when using the same surface, I don't get massive amounts of vibrations and bouncing around from typing. The case IS NOT attached to the keyboard, so you would have to be SLAMMING on your keyboard to cause any significant movement of the tablet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not plastic. It feels like a bendable metal, like a flexible splint would be made of. You can bend it to any angle (or "close" it onto the tablet to fix it into place fairly well, at only a single angle).

So, I'm confused... Can you place the tablet at any angle or just a single one? :p As for the typing vibration I know it's not massive, but my initial impression was that this was a plastic cover with a bendable slot you used to hold the tablet; in my mind, not very stable and from toy experience, ANY vibration is enough to cause it to tumble down. But if this is more durable and can actually 'lock' into place, then no, typing vibration shouldn't be a concern unless I'm angrily typing a death threat to my stock broker for buying BlackBerry stocks.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You can fold it into any angle and it will stay just the way you bend it. It is a very interesting stiff material. It is great having a stand come with the keyboard that also doubles as a cover. I just got the wedge mouse yesterday but have not tried it. I watched videos on both of these before deciding to purchase. Love the keyboard. There is no vibration and even if you bumped the table, that stand is not going to fall down. The sliver of plastic where it bends does hold it. Seeing is believing.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just wish someone comes up with a Surface Keyboard cover clone for this tablet :) That's the only thing I find appealing on a Surface, and would love to have something similar on my Android one.

I couldn't agree more! Also my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition does work just fine with a rather inexpensive Bluetooth keyboard purchased from amazon.com (folio brand, i think). However, I have major league problems with YouTube and web surfing. It has crashed chrome twice and I've only had it one week. The YouTube app just keeps buffering and stuttering and never actually plays any video. I can't understand why they would ship out tablets that don't work with YouTube. There are lots of other people with the same problem. It's a mystery.

Posted via Android Central App

Cody Spradlin

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm confused... Can you place the tablet at any angle or just a single one? :p As for the typing vibration I know it's not massive, but my initial impression was that this was a plastic cover with a bendable slot you used to hold the tablet; in my mind, not very stable and from toy experience, ANY vibration is enough to cause it to tumble down. But if this is more durable and can actually 'lock' into place, then no, typing vibration shouldn't be a concern unless I'm angrily typing a death threat to my stock broker for buying BlackBerry stocks.

It's a rubberized metal material. It stays where you put it, at any angle. I've been sitting here putting my tablet at various angles and orientations and SLAMMING my hand on the table, trying to make it budge even the slightest. The cover has two solid pieces, connected by a stiff yet malleable section that allows the cover to be bent in a pretty wide arc of angles. And yet, it's stiff enough to hold up the tablet at any angle and orientation. Try and find a YouTube video.

Posted via Android Central App

Half_fast

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have not had much luck with the few times that I have used Samsung Tech Support. I tried my Logitech Android Bluetooth keyboard that worked fine on my previous Note 10.1 and it kept dropping the connection. Tech support told me it was the keyboard, so I purchased a second Logitech that still would not work but works fine with all of my other device running Jelly Bean 4.3. Tech support stated I needed to purchase the Samsung Bluetooth keyboard, so desperate for answers, I did and it still will not work. Final step was to reset the system per tech support. Last call was this week and they finally stated they know there is a problem and watch their site for a compatible Bluetooth keyboard under the accessories. Unacceptable customer support.

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I found a thread on XDA that appears to have the answer. The onscreen keyboard seems to fight with an installed Bluetooth keyboard.
They gave instructions to make the system automatically disable the onscreen keyboard when a Bluetooth keyboard is sensed.
The onscreen keyboard is automatically re-enabled when you disconnect the Bluetooth keyboard.
It worked for me.

Here's the info, hope I'm not breaking the rules by including the link.
Note 10.1 2014 as a laptop replacement? Surprisingly close.

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I found a thread on XDA that appears to have the answer. The onscreen keyboard seems to fight with an installed Bluetooth keyboard.
They gave instructions to make the system automatically disable the onscreen keyboard when a Bluetooth keyboard is sensed.
The onscreen keyboard is automatically re-enabled when you disconnect the Bluetooth keyboard.
It worked for me.

Here's the info, hope I'm not breaking the rules by including the link.
Note 10.1 2014 as a laptop replacement? Surprisingly close.

Good to know, thanks. I wonder if this means that any Bluetooth keyboard will now work and which is the best to use?

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought a HP K4000 because it's very small and has a few android functions like sleep, home, menu, volume, and media.
The Z5000 mouse also comes in very handy.

I don't think the make of keyboard ever made any difference. They all follow the Bluetooth protocol.